City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) City of Glass discussion

Is it just me?

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Is it just me or is it when the plot is running a little thin, Cassandra kidnaps Simon? I mean seriously, I'm currently reading city of glass and Simon has yet again been kidnapped. Now don't get me wrong it's an okay series, one of the better I've read, but I'm really starting to get annoyed by it.

Nothing exciting has happened in 100 or so pages, hey I know! Lets kidnap Simon! Jace I really love you (angst) but we can never be together because we're siblings (angst, angst) but I don't care, let's ignore everyone and...oh no, the most unbelievable thing has happened! Simon has been kidnapped! I should have really seen it coming because of the three times before but I've been wrapped up in my own little world, but now we must rescue him and then I'll treat him like dirt again!

Now I know I'm probably going to get a lot of hate, so lay into me, but I just want to see if anyone else feels the same way.

message 2: by Mig (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mig If you think this is bad, wait till you read City of Fallen Angels.. but in my opinion this is a good book but City of Ashes is better.

message 3: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany It's all right, I just find it annoying whenever there is a plot hole they kidnap Simon

Michelle i don't know wat u guys are talking about my favorite book in that whole series is city of glass just kept with it i promise it will get better i got annoyed by simon as well but i warmed up to him at the end of city of glass.

Yzabel Ginsberg Poor Simon does have a tendency to get the short end of the stick, doesn't he...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know what you mean but out of the entire series i must say city of bones and city of glass are my favorite. What I hate about the series is that it gets good....then starts to drag......and then gets good agian its pattern I have found throughout the series

Yzabel Ginsberg (Don't look at what follows if you haven't read the first 3 books—but this discussion being about the 3rd one, I suppose you people wouldn't be here anyway if you hadn't already read those, right?)

I guess that what the OP means is that:
- Simon gets turned into a rat and 'kidnapped' by the vampires (book 1). The other characters must rescue him.
- Simon gets 'kidnapped' by the vampires (attracted *forcefully* to their lair due to having drunk vamp's blood) (book 2). The other characters don't exactly have to rescue him directly, but there's still that moment about "OMG something happened to Simon!"
- Simon gets 'kidnapped' by the Inquisitor and thrown into jail (book 3). The other characters must rescue him.

==> I haven't read book 4-5 yet, so I can't tell whether this goes on or not... but there's definitely a recurring pattern here to me as well.

Gabby Okay. Cassie Stated that the first three were going to be like there own little trilogy. Based on Clary. And the last three were going to be like there own little trilogy- about Simon. And i love them.

Chriselle OMG, no you're not the only one. One of the many reasons why I strongly dislike this series, read my reviews :D (warning: they're a little intense!)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

this is actually my favorite of all the books in the series. oh the malec. im not saying its not a bit dull in the beginning, but keep reading. COLS was my least favorite i think.

message 11: by Valetta (last edited Oct 18, 2012 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Valetta Now you are going to kill me but I have to say it: I hate Simon, he's my least favorite character and it seems to me that he doesn't blend with the rest of the plot at all, nut Clare uses him when she is stuck with the story and she needs to give a turn to the events. When I discovered that the last 3 books would have been mainly based on him i thought OMG!WHY?!?!!?!?!?
Why not give more space to Malec? I adore Malec, they are the vest thing in the series!

Bianca Yes, I will admit it got a little annoying but it gets better! This is my favorite book out of the series... but I'm still reading book five! I LOVE this series!

Bianca Bianca wrote: "Yes, I will admit it got a little annoying but it gets better! This is my favorite book out of the series... but I'm still reading book five! I LOVE this series!"

Oh! and I love Simon and I don't think Clary abuses him. It's not her fault that she loves Jace and Simon loves her! She was honest with him and Simon chose to stick around (Clary would have understood, if he decided not to be around her). And.. Jace is Yummy!

Nurlely I think City of Glass is the best from the first trilogy. City of Bones is surely an excellent intro to the series and City of Ashes is good too, although I still favour City of Glass.

I would like to throw my City of Fallen Angels away. I was so upset with Jace's fate in that book. AGAIN???

If you really like Jace, then you should go on reading the rest of the series. If you love the story, then you should stop at City of Glass. I love Jace, and he is my most reason reading the series... so I will keep going.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

City of fallen angels was probablutthe best written and i thouuht he mostenoyable. The rest. Whatever. Also the infernal devices are infinitely better then the mortal instruments, theyre just annoying imo

Helen Stevens Yzabel wrote: "(Don't look at what follows if you haven't read the first 3 books—but this discussion being about the 3rd one, I suppose you people wouldn't be here anyway if you hadn't already read those, right?)..."

He's also kidnapped by Valentine in book 2.

Jettcatt I agree I read the first three books and liked the concept but got bored, I have not been able to pick up the next three books in fear that they will be much of the same

message 18: by Yzabel (last edited Nov 07, 2012 08:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yzabel Ginsberg Helen wrote: "He's also kidnapped by Valentine in book 2. "

Oh yes, true. No idea how I failed to include that one in.

Mariana Haha, yeah. I also hate how when a scene is getting really good, it switches to another character.

Jessica Crone don't worry, some of it can drag on but, after it will get amazing, I've read them all and LOVED them, can't wait until city of heavenly fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madison I wish we lived in a world where Jace wasn't (at any given time) either possessed, angsty, or all of the above... (excluding CoB and the first bit of CoHF).

message 22: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose It's so weird that Cassandra made Clary and Jace siblings. Ewww

message 23: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose But infernal devices is muuuuch better I recommend it. The writing is never repeated.

message 24: by Gigi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gigi Hah, it funny I never noticed how much he got kidnapped like in every single book - aww bless!

And I do acc love him!!!!

Morgan I honestly think she should have stopped after the third book.

Johanna the Hydrofax SPOILER ALERT
DON'T WORRY he gets kidnapped again in the next book. bet nobody saw THAT coming.

message 27: by Gigi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gigi Johanna wrote: "SPOILER ALERT
DON'T WORRY he gets kidnapped again in the next book. bet nobody saw THAT coming."

Really I dont remember him getting kidnapped in City of Lost Souls...?

When did this happen?

Kirby Yzabel wrote: "(Don't look at what follows if you haven't read the first 3 books—but this discussion being about the 3rd one, I suppose you people wouldn't be here anyway if you hadn't already read those, right?)..."

and (I don't know if it really counts as a kidnapping) the vampires take him at the end of 3, right?

Kirstyn Yes, it does seem to happen to Simon but I assure you it gets better and I have seen more annoying things in different series.

Grace Rose wrote: "It's so weird that Cassandra made Clary and Jace siblings. Ewww"

Keep reading :)

message 31: by Inês (last edited Jan 02, 2013 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Inês Brittany wrote: "Is it just me or is it when the plot is running a little thin, Cassandra kidnaps Simon? I mean seriously, I'm currently reading city of glass and Simon has yet again been kidnapped. Now don't get m..."

if is that so .... will you want to continue reading the other two? the City of fallen Angels and City of lost souls? there aren't need it for real if maybe you don't want to get dissapoint with the serie in the 4th book (the fourth book was a bit boring but i still loving this serie, and i'm reading the further books to know what happens and discover things that i don't know and i want to know)

City of glass has a great ending to the first part of the series.. is just that in the 4th simon is "kidnaped" if i remember well (and in a strange way i think) for someone, i can't tell you.

But i recomend you that if you go on with the COFA and COLS you have to read the two because the 5th book was better than the 4th and i'm hoping that the 6th kicks th 3rd book's ass or stay as the same level of the 3rd one because the 3rd one was my favourtie till know :D

But the series goes better i think... the opinions chage to person to person so you might think a diferent think that i though :)

but do what you want to do
:)

Kirstyn Indeed the fourth book was a bit slow but I think it was necessary for the plot in the next book.