Tolman Big 50 Book Challenge discussion

What is the tone and mood of the book you are reading right now? Make sure you tell us what book it is!

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margo (new)

Margo | 4 comments Mod
Right now I am reading "Doctor Who, the Forgotten Army." The tone of the book tone of the book is comical, but the mood is suspenseful. Sometimes the lines that the doctor says that are definitely intended to be funny take away from the suspense of the action in the scene. I believe that the series was also made into a television series and I can see how the books would render themselves very easily to film because the comedy would come much faster on TV; however, as it is right now, I feel like the comedic ton sometimes takes away from the mood the reader feels and wants to continue to feel in the book.

message 2: by William (last edited Oct 02, 2012 11:53AM) (new)

William Carr | 1 comments I was reading the hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, with is a comedic science fiction book. The mood is very funny with characters always making jokes, and the narrator (told from a first person perspective) never quite knowing what was going on. the tone was also very funny, but suspenseful as well with lots of random things going on, you never knew what was going to happen next

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I was reading diary of a wimpy kid: The Ugly Truth, which it had a comedic tone too it but it was also suspenseful at some parts and you didn't know what was going to happen next but it was a good book

- Melissa

message 4: by Elaina (new)

Elaina | 4 comments I'm reading Maus #1 right now. The tone is a lot more... adult than I'm used to reading. The real tone is war. The whole book is about this guy's experience in war. The mood is depressing and sad. I think you can tell I am not enjoying this book very much.

message 5: by Jake (new)

Jake Sistek (wizzy19) | 3 comments Im reading the Scorch Trials. The tone of the book is depressing and a little weird. The theme is suspenseful and moody.

message 6: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Story | 3 comments The book im reading is Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging. I think the theme in the book would be Romance, Then the mood would be curious. Im not a huge fan pf the book but i lie it!

message 7: by Serene (last edited Oct 02, 2012 06:00PM) (new)

Serene (abcs1358) The book I'm reading is called Matched this is a wonderful book. The tone of this book is this book is depressing because it feels like everytime you think something pleasent is going to happen it doesn't. Like when Cassia goes to the music hall she thinks everything is going to be fine then Em has a anxiety attack. The mood of this book is confusing ok not like the mood is confusing to figure out it is literally confusing. For example Cassia doesn't know if she likes Xander or Ky which makes the reader feel confused. So thats the tone and mood of my book.

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Reinhart The book I am reading now is called The Game of Thrones. The tone of this book is dark because all of the war and death in the book. The mood of the book is kind of depressing making the reader feel bad for the characters.

message 9: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (c00kie_m0nstah) My book is 'The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things.' The tone of the book is depressing and the mood is sorrowful. Virginia is a heavy girl going through high school without her best friend at her side. She has no friends except a love buddy that she only "talks" to on Mondays. The mean girls at school say that they'd rather be dead than fat, after referring to Virginia as fat. The rest of her family is skinny so she doesn't really fit in. I feel bad for Virginia, she has to deal with so much...

message 10: by Dead (new)

Dead (marcwashere) I'm reading Moby dick. The tone is mourning & sorrow. The mood that the author creates for me is sorrow. I'm not that far into the book, but from where I'm at, I'm guessing that the book isn't going to have a very happy ending. I have a feeling that Queequeg will be eaten by Moby, and that Ishmael will get stranded on a desert island like in Robinson Crusoe. Seems to me that most books that have to do with a simple villager who gets on a ship usually end up with that villager getting stranded. So yeah, this book is really sad and so far I'm ultra bored. I'm hoping it will change and start to be really good like in The Fellowship of The Ring.

message 11: by Jarrett (last edited Oct 03, 2012 09:27AM) (new)

Jarrett | 3 comments Because Im not reading a book right now I'll tell the tone and mood about the last book that I read, Love That Dog. I think that the mood in love that dog is something like sadness because when I read the book I felt sad for jack about sky. The tone would be like how a child would write a poetry if they had to write one.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I'm reading Hatchet.It is a book about a boy lost in the wilderness and how he survives.This books tone is sad because his parents have recently divorced.The books mood is excitement.I cant wait to see what happens next.I think the book will have a good ending.It is kind of hard for me to write on this because I am only on page forty but I cant wait to Finnish it.I'm hoping it will be a happy ending.

message 13: by Ryley (last edited Oct 03, 2012 08:25AM) (new)

Ryley Story | 3 comments I was reading the graveyard book.The tone of the book is
scary but not that scary.The mood is it makes me feel interested.The reason iam interested is because it has lots of paranormal.

message 14: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Halstad I was reading the call of the wild. I beilieve that the tone is strugle and the mood is sadnes, beecause you always feel bad for buck.

message 15: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie (McKenzieLowry) Right now I am reading Desires of the dead, which is the sequel to the Body Finder. The tone is suspenseful, because Violet keeps getting the echoes and finding a dead boy who was locked in a crate and died, and the FBI wants to know how Violet keeps finding bodies. The mood is being anxious I guess, because I don't know how to explain it. I cant stop reading because I want to know what happens next even if the part I am in is boring.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 03, 2012 09:52AM) (new)

Right now i am reading to kill a mocking bird and it is constantly more and more depressing it is always getting more and more interesting to.I think this is a depressing book because it always as a smooth touch in your heart. The tone is similar to the mood it was sad because of the change and sorrow. The book is also talking about difference between black and white in those days. How the white thought they were over the black and how they treated the black. i think a lot of people think to kill a mocking bird as the same perspective as i do which is sad and depressing the reason of this is because i think you would have to be races or not caring of anything to not think this is not a harsh book in black perspective. this is my opinion on tone and mood on to kill a mocking bird

message 17: by Logan (new)

Logan I am reading American Born Chinese. It is a book that starts about bullying as Jin moves to a new school. The tone one of unknowning anyone or a new place and the tone is sad because of the bullying.

message 18: by Litzy (new)

Litzy I just finished reading the book switched and the tone of the book is probably angry and sad because she gets taken kinda by force to a place she doesn't want to go and also she gets sad for many things in the book. And eventually turns into anger. The mood is probably angry because whenever somethings happens you get mad at the person that does it!

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (C00k13M0n5tr) | 5 comments I just finished The Gentlemen's Alliance vol. 4, and the tone is anguish and love and the mood is happy and disturbed