Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > How about the new Kindle reader?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 10, 2009 12:17AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Have you heard about the new Kindle reader...
or have you had any experience with one or with a similar digital reader?

See the following link: ====>
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...

I haven't gotten one, but the more I hear about them, the more curious I get.

If I could have one (and download books) for free, I might be more inclined to get one. But why pay to read books digitally when I can read free hard copies from the library?

I know there's the advantage of compactness and volume, especially for people who travel a lot.

How do you feel about this new idea of digital reading from a compact device?

BTW, I hear that the new Kindle2 can also read the book aloud to you. That might be a great advantage... combining audio with visual options.

These new devices boggle the mind.
All you need is money.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Interestingly, I just got article about the Kindle. I can't send you a link to the article since it's a paid service where you'd have to login, but here are a couple of interesting items:

Why I won’t be buying the Kindle 2.0
Posted by Joe Brockmeier on Tech Republic

"Right now, it’s possible to get PDFs and other documents onto the device by mailing a file to Amazon. However, using the free service, I’ve seen delays of days before the converted document shows up in my inbox..."

"...I was an early adopter of the Kindle, and don’t plan on retiring the 1.0 anytime soon. It’s a fantastic device for anyone who enjoys reading on the road without the hassle of dragging along a bunch of dead tree weight. But Amazon has failed to give a compelling reason to buy the 2.0..."
---------------

Basically, Joe wants it to be more of a business document reader & if you're just using it for reading, he thinks it's OK, although getting PDF's & such can be a drag. The Kindle 2 is about $350, I think.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments If you're really into reading PDF's & other printable documents, you might want to take a look at two other products. The Foxit reader is small, about the size of an iPhone, which doesn't interest me, but the Sony Digital Reader looks awesome.

Sony Digital Reader: www.SonyStyle.com/Reader
It costs about $300. No wireless, but that doesn't bother me since you can swap memory cards & it's big! Read some of the reviews.

Foxit Reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/
which is $230 (even pre-orders are sold out now, though until maybe April). It's new & untested, but looks like it should be cool.

Personally, I think the portable readers are getting there, but aren't there yet. I'd get better bang for my buck out of a laptop.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks for the info, Jim.

I guess it's best to wait until all the reports are in. Also, perhaps these devices will get cheaper as time goes by.

Actually, I hate PDF's because they're not searchable and you can't copy text.

I like the idea of having my books searchable. It would be nice to be able to go back to check out certain facts, or to review details about characters... who is who, especially in a book with a large number of characters to keep track of.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Joy, I agree with you about searching. It's one reason I collect books in text formats.

As far as I know, only image PDF's aren't searchable or allow text copying, unless they're secured against it. Image PDF's are usually only from fax machines, but there are a few others around. I don't think any of the text PDF's I have are locked. Maybe you need to update your reader. You could also get Open Office. That allows you to make PDF's too.

I agree about the readers. I'll wait until the price comes down.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "I don't think any of the text PDF's I have are locked. Maybe you need to update your reader."

What does that mean, Jim? Locked? What reader?

I have no reason to make PDF's. What's the advantage of PDF's? What are they for? I often see them, but, as I say, I don't like them.

What is Open Office? I have Microsoft Office but I don't use it. I also have EasyOffice which I downloaded free a long time ago. I've used it for alphabetizing lists of names, but that's all.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments The main advantage of PDF's is that lots of computers can read them, but most don't write them & they can be secured so they can't be changed easily. It makes them very handy in business. They're usually read with the free reader from Adobe.

If you already have 2 Office products, no need to get a third.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "The main advantage of PDF's is that lots of computers can read them, but most don't write them & they can be secured so they can't be changed easily. It makes them very handy in business. They're..."

So, is the main advantage of PDF's the security factor?
I didn't realize that normal webpages could be changed so easily by outsiders.

I have Adobe. So I can read PDF's.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Web pages shouldn't usually be changed by outsiders, but web pages aren't typical documents for off line use. You can pull them off line & change them, usually, but it's not what's used for normal letters, memos & such.

message 10: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 11, 2009 08:37AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "Web pages shouldn't usually be changed by outsiders, but web pages aren't typical documents for off line use. You can pull them off line & change them, usually, but it's not what's used for normal..."

I have a lot to learn about the tech world.
PDF's have always been a mystery to me. I'm beginning to understand their use now.

At least I know more than I used to about the tech world and I'm learning all the time, thanks to folks like you. My UK newsgroup also helps me with small tech problems. See it at:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.peo...

My user name is similar to the name of our boat. See the name of our boat here:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

Sorry about the Goose Chase. I have my reasons.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Road (other topics)