Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Multiple Dimensions: Between Superstrings and Parallel Worlds

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I thought TIME was the fourth dimension. And this has me worried:

This opens the classic, spooky sci-fi possibility that each person has many "versions" of themselves in each one these similar universes. It is further thought that these universes could be at times connected, and at other times separated, at times making travel between them impossible.

Which implies that travel between dimensions IS possible SOME times, right? And that some other, evil twin version of me could travel here. Why, she might listen to blue grass and use obscenities! This must be stopped!

message 3: by Félix (last edited Feb 09, 2009 09:03PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I went into another dimension once, an alternate universe if you will. But then someone told me I was just in Las Vegas, and spoiled the whole thing for me.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
My brain broke reading the first paragraph of that article. It looks amazing, but I'm going to have to "sleep" on it and try again in the morning. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Larry, I think you've got something there. Vegas IS like an alternative world.
Maybe you turn into your evil twin when you visit Vegas. And that's why going to see a Celine Dion concert sounds like a great idea.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes this has the ring of profound truth.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments
Jackie...
If I like blue grass, and use obscenities, should I be worried that I am your evil twin?
Let me know...
Julie

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Julie wrote: "
Jackie...
If I like blue grass, and use obscenities, should I be worried that I am your evil twin?
Let me know...
Julie"

Yes.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sounds like a trick, Jackie. Be careful.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments She MUST be an evil twin, Larry. The extra facial hair is a dead giveaway.

Didn't think about THAT, did you Julie? Ha HAH!

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There must be hormonal difference between dimensions.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Or they are in the equivalent of the '70s. Often evil twins sport fringe as well.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't remember the '70s clearly.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I do only too well. Macrame! Earth shoes! Bell-bottoms! The feathered hair! The avocado and burnt orange appliances! Donny and Marie!

Hmm, the whole decade was evil.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Uh-oh...
What If I didn't realize that I was an evil twin??
What are the consequences of my being just me, and YOU are the twin(evil or good, I don't know)?

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Polyester liesure suits. Remember they did studies and found that wearing those things actually caused cancer in rats. It was kind of cute the way they made those little rat-sized suits out of pastel poly.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Julie wrote: "Uh-oh...
What If I didn't realize that I was an evil twin??
What are the consequences of my being just me, and YOU are the twin(evil or good, I don't know)?
"

The consequences for the evil twin are mainly a bad wardrobe and hammy acting, Julie. Are you up to the job?

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Ooooooh! Purdy colors in that image! Aaahhhhhh! Floating bubbles swirling amidst all the purdy colors!

Oh, we're not in the 70s anymore? Snap out of it!

message 19: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I, for one, (who was too young to remember the 70's clearly) think that they are on the verge of two possible momentous breakthroughs:

Silly String Theory
or
Bubble Wrap Universes

Also, I am my own evil twin. It's much easier that way, and we can share the same polyester suits while listening to Donnie & Marie.

p.s. Thanks for the Quantum Physics topic Larry. You made my day! :D

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes! I'm torn as to which of you is the evil twin, Julie or Jackie. Julie, what are your thoughts on Star Trek?

This is a cool article. Thanks, Larry.

Sidebar...the man who developed the "many worlds" theory, Huge Everett, was the father of Mark Everett, who is now the creative force behind The Eels. Mark Everett did a documentary on BBC last year on his dad...it was cool.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ok, here is one for you deep thinkers:

"I am my own evil twin"

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) OMG I think my brain is springing a leak -- blowing a fuse -- slipping a cog. Cannot compute. Cannot compute.

message 23: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Kevin said, ok, here is one for you deep thinkers:

"I am my own evil twin"

That's because you ate your evil twin in the womb.

I'm assuming he was tasty. A little butter and some spices would have been nice, but a fine meal nonetheless.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sherrie -- this piece was selected with you in mind.

Bubble wrap universes? Is that to protect us from damage in the big bang?

message 25: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments RA - Because of Star Trek I know that i'm not the evil twin - I don't have a goatee.

Has anyone else ever seen the Jet Li movie "The One"? That's what the multiverse thing in the article reminded me of.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments nice thought gus. after reading that i was going to forgo lunch today but then my inner E.T. was like "c'mon wuss, have a chicken wing"

message 27: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Patton Oswalt has a funny riff about making lame or creepy excuses for being fat: "I ate my twin in the womb, but he's still alive...this fat is a layer of courtesy fat."

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Okay, I have to admit, the facial hair alone means that I am the evil twin.
I will have to work on my evil laugh and start rubbing my hands together sneakily.
Bwa-ha-ha, BWA-HA-HAAA-HAA!

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments (and you need a secret lair i think)

message 30: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Uh, Kevin... see #19, stating that I already was my own evil twin. Perhaps you are the evil twin to my evil twin self trying to steal my thunder. ;) Of course, if this involves eating babies in the womb, I may beg off. (Although it would explain my extra insulation around the middle... ew Gus!)

Larry, I'll have to work on the Bubble Wrap Universe theory. It's either protection from the Big Bang, or perhaps Infomercials on Dish Network and the plethora (myriad) of Reality shows.

Julie... one word: NADS (not that I would know from personal experience! no, really)

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments duly noted sherrie.

all i know about bubble wrap is that i can easily look like a chimp sitting on the floor slowly popping each cell while looking like it is the most amazing and gratifying thing on the planet

message 32: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments all i know about bubble wrap is that i can easily look like a chimp sitting on the floor slowly popping each cell while looking like it is the most amazing and gratifying thing on the planet

That sounds like it's from the movie 2001: A Space Odessy. See... it is all connected. (spooky Twilight Zone music in background)

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments or a scene from planet of the apes with a background view of a melted statue of liberty in the distance

message 34: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Or... or... or... naw, I got nuthin.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.