Book Junkies discussion

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)
This topic is about Flowers in the Attic
Archives > October: Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Wonder if there really are any flowers in the attic... ;D

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) | 19 comments Only paper ones.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 7 comments I remember reading this book when I was about 15 and being completely mesmerised by it. Not sure I would feel exactly the same ove 30 years later, but still a good read!

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) | 19 comments I read it and have to say - not sure if it hasn't age well or if VC Andrews was a bad writer. The saga was interesting but when it was first released it did say it was based on a true story, though no one knows if this is a fact or not.

There were like four books in the series and read them all. I remember hating Cathy by the end of the saga.

I enjoyed it alot when I was 15 - not soo much now.

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) I have a feeling this is going to be be an interesting book to talk about then :D

Jade Varden (JadeVarden) I still love this book and I love the entire saga. Yes, Cathy is flawed. But she's aware of her flaws. She's ambitious, and she does have some admirable qualities.

As to the true story bit, I read somewhere that as a young woman the author met a doctor who had been locked away along with his brothers and sisters. The incarceration had something to do with family money. It's unknown whether or not this is factual information, however.

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) | 19 comments Are we allowed to discuss this in more details - spoilers as I don't want to ruin the story for anyone. Just need to know how open we can be with our discussion.

message 8: by Suzy (last edited Oct 05, 2012 01:04PM) (new)

Suzy Taylor | 7 comments Jade wrote: "I still love this book and I love the entire saga. Yes, Cathy is flawed. But she's aware of her flaws. She's ambitious, and she does have some admirable qualities.

As to the true story bit, I rea..."

I too loved the series when I was younger...couldn't get enough of it. That mother was a piece of work. I can't imagine someone really treating their children that way.

message 9: by Audra (new)

Audra Middleton | 12 comments I think the protagonist's voice is well-established, gives a good sense of her character right away. It's hard to put down even though it's disturbing.

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Oct 08, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

Lisa (lburgessart) | 39 comments I read this book when it first came out ages ago and due the fact I was very young and impressionable it gave me nightmares for a very long time---Too close to truthful events that have happened over our history

Shannon Pickett (supershannon) | 25 comments I read this book when I was 15 or 16,a friend suggested it to me. I devoured the whole series after that. I loved the book when I was younger but would like to reread it to see if I come away with a different view on it now. Any way made a impression on me back then.

Hud-c | 438 comments Hi everyone,

I read all commentaries and I see that most of the members have read this already. Well, as for me, this is the first time. Actually i was the one who nominated this book to be in the October group reads. And i was very much pleased to hear the results.

As of now, I'm 1/3 finish with my reading. My thoughts, I could say that even w/o knowing how controversial this book was, I would definitely have a clear idea of what it would be about - the secrets etc. Though, I wouldn't say that, if I read this when I was younger.

Maggie Curry  (MaggieCurryBookDragon) This book was twisted, but really interesting to read. I went through this whole series a few years ago.

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) | 19 comments Apparently it is based on a true story