Short Story Contests discussion

Weekly Contests > Week 16 (Feb 9- Feb 15) DONE

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare D' Lune (last edited Feb 09, 2009 04:04PM) (new)

Clare D' Lune Hey, sorry I'm late. Last minute change in plans, went to work early today...

Instructions:
Please do not use a story previously used on goodreads. After the week's contest, you are welcome to put it on your profile writings, but please refrain from using stories you have already put on there.

You have until Saturday afternoon to post a story on here. Please post it directly onto this topic, rather than posting a link. Also, please do not discuss stories on here. You must go to Weekly Short Story Contest Discussion http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6899... for that. This will avoid any clutter and confusion, so that people can simply come on here and read the story, without having to read comments on the story.

This week's Topic is Valentine's Day in honor of the holiday. : D

Weekly stories must be at least 500 words long to 2,000 words long. (if the whole story won't fit in one post, divide it into two)

Good luck!

Clare

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

message 2: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Awwww!!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

cool!

message 4: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments If I win I'd like my story to go on Short Stories Galore!
Approximately 500 words

St. Valentine

The man stared unseeingly into the closet, lost in thought. The only thing that showed he was still alive was the slow rising and falling of his chest and the flicking of his eyes to the empty side of the closet. He was still young with dark hair and blue but his back was bent as if under a heavy load and his eyes were no longer full of life.
Today, February 14th was an anniversary of sorts. This man, along with thousands of other men, had bought his wife roses, but unlike those other men he had laid the flowers on his wife’s grave. She had died exactly a year ago, his Valentines Day present from Hell.
This Valentines Day he was not going to sit alone at home the way he had for the past year, tonight he was going to become a murderer.
The man’s mind had become twisted and warped with grief, that grief had built infallible reasons for killing the innocent people; it would save them all so much pain and loss. He didn’t want other people to feel what he had felt for the past year. The pain of loosing the one you love most.
Since it was Valentines Day everyone at The Golden Dove would be couples. ‘It’s romantic really,’ thought the man. ‘A perfect way to die; together.’ It’s what he would have wanted, but he too would soon be with his wife again because he wasn’t planning on being a survivor of his own massacre.
Finally he started to dress, first the neat black suit he had been married in, then stiff leather shoes. He tucked a red rose into his lapel and tucked a pistol into the inside pocket of his jacket along with several clips of bullets. He turned his wedding ring so the small row of diamonds was facing outward and went to his desk to make sure his letter was there. The letter explained why he had decided to do it, he wanted to make sure people knew that he had not simply been a cold hearted killer. He had a purpose, he had thought it out, and after all he had been planning this for over eight months.
He took one last look around the small house, he had cleaned it that morning, he wasn’t sure why but it just felt right to have it clean and perfect the way had been before she had died.
The man ran his fingers over one of his wife’s paintings and sighed, he was ready now. He walked out of the house not bothering to lock it behind him and started the walk to the restaurant. It would take him over an hour to get there by foot but he didn’t mind. He wanted more time to think.
‘Valentines Day wasn’t meant to be a happy holiday,’ the man thought. Despite the fact that it was about love and happiness all three St. Valentines had been killed

message 5: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments I tried to write a cute lovey-dovey story but it sounded so stupid I wrote a really morbid one

Fredrick and Cedric, funny :)

message 6: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments O.o
hahaha... little off your usual style, isn't this sunny? haha, nice though... such a cute story... o.O

message 7: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments true, although i'm starting to get more into now, you can be all mysterious and vague and put in more detail.
wowz, I just realized that you haven't read anything of mine since like when I only wrote retarded things like the the newspapers and crap

message 8: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments korrekt... and that script >.< ... i still have that somewhere...

message 9: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments You still have the script?!?! I KNOW I don't have mine and we got rid of the computer i wrote it on sooo I asumed it was lost forever!

message 10: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments the old one, yup, it's here... somewhere...
*gasp* we're off topic... CLARE'S GONNA KICK US OWT!! D:
haha...

message 11: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments OH NO!!!!! Please don't Clare! We promise to be good!!! Monolith, write a story!!

message 12: by ~tree~ (new)

~tree~ | 3 comments (technically i still have the script...monolith's got throwed out) yes monolith, write a story.... i can't think of a good one right now.

message 13: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments it did not. and... you never do, tree... honestly...

message 14: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Arthur | 554 comments Mod
Name: Three Stars Worlds
Words: 1220
Genre: Fiction Sci-Fi
By: Arthur
Notes: Undine travels in a new starship meeting three people she found herself to cherish.

Three Stars Worlds

“Up ahead there!” With his heart broken from leaving his home system Captain J.T. pointed with might that there was hope still far ahead of them. The crew here with new lives were all new to Light Tere.
From their recently adventure to this date the starship Triassic called for by that name because the Captain has animal gene in his body, been voyaging in other systems, but have a new Ordinal contract bringing it to newer worlds in this solar system. The Light Tere system is a milk container of rich success and spoils which had credibility for two thousand years.
Before coming to Light Tere Captain J.T. felt more at home in places like the gaseous hothouse system only known as Mavis, being his universal home, had it been acceptable but now lost to war, and has slipped into a non-quotas status in the past two thousand years.
Light Tere has accepted various increases in population. Beautiful planes of shoreline, exotic preservations and nomadically kept to preserve the world’s wild life and early tradition native-people have found a home successfully in Light Tere. All that is surrounded by a successful civilization.
A red and yellow nebulous mass of light pointed towards the oldest known planet the Earth. Light itself lies with such symmetry that it is believed to have cosmic ties with rational stories of superstitions and our primitive early life but importantly of alchemical and astrological magic which is because it is still a bright light seen from higher air and space but to the old world not to be observed by bare eye outside from the earth. Light’s Earth’s neighbor unseen. It has no iron nor casts any shadows of doubt. It just lies outside in the higher air. It is the third closest domesticated system filling our culture and civilization, not belittled but lived with wild adventure.
Lt. C. Undine was an Ordinal sent being stationed in an outpost in Light Tere on Davie Modern. She secretly held a crush for the captain but she knows her heart belonged for the time being until they arrive all in one piece and safe and sound.
Captain J.T. Trissi lightly docked Triassic among a thousand other starships. Triassic was the largest making him feel very proud. His two other female crew companions Lt. L. Mysable and Corporal A. M. Rae-Moore act as stewardess’s and unload Triassic passengers.
Lt. Undine lingered behind others because she made a special friendship with the stewardess’s. They spoke about the military and the secretive past. They talked about the other systems. Like how Mavis is so victimized. A thousand habitable planets lay in the Mavis system and each are gone to war. It is all rumors and the internet delivered news leavings feeding the rest of the universe as devastating as it is.
“Are you interested in wild life?” Rae-Moore asked looking enthusiastic. Rae-Moore dreams of going toward Earth being colder and more conservative but she may never go there. Her trip near it had not been boring. She had checked all the internet articles on their coms to help her knowledge of Earth. She felt like the captain had that passengers seek little help from others but one never really knows.
“All I had was a dog. Why did you think I knew about animals?”
“You looking at the Captain,”
“He is handsome.” Undine made sure she was understood by her emphasis. They share a giggle.
“What are you doing now?” Rae-Moore asked.
“It’s a new world for now. I’d like to see it. And I plan to do quite a bit of travel after I’m settled first.” Undine replied. “I’m not sure what I may do for a couple of weeks.”
“The military life as an Ordinal will wear you out before long.” Rae-Moore said.
“You are welcome to visit and I was hoping you’d stay before you leave.”
“We can’t.”
“Why not?”
“The Captain. We are on foot once we set down there.”
“Oh?”
“J.T. has been given a pickup/delivery task. He locates it in the Dry Valley on Davie.”
“Why does this sound so secretive? I thought Light Tere had no secrets?”
“One tries to bring to light to what one can. Why one time Davie was a barren rock that attracted all them people and it was nothing more than a geological fan site and not any interesting more than moon dust.” Rae-Moore shook her wavy blonde hair.
“While Davie now is an advanced settlement it contains adventure.” Stated Lt. Mysable simply.
“There are kinds of adventure?” Looked Undine in wonder.
“Not sure of the details, but we are safe when Captain J.T. will bring us. Care to go? It won’t be more than a few days.”
“Sure.”
They flew over land across the Mojab closest aircraft are allowed over the preserves. Following was the rest on foot.
J.T. brought a Void. It looks like a safety-deposit box. One side six feet and six out was a square having a central wheel and balancing wheels. He pushed it all the way.
Davis is a large planet compared to Neptune.
Entering the Dry Valley it appeared sunny and dry at first without much but bareness to notice. A valley with ridges and as Undine was able to see three suns. That was uncompared to the north hemisphere where Davie shows only two.
It gave a fantastic view with shadows becoming light and light disappearing into shadows randomly. Lunor was a massive star stuck below the southern pole. It was fixed far away but gave the daylight still. Davies was in orbit of Munor. And there trapped was a dwarf star Dunor as well. It’s been long established that Dwarves are often stable after being treated.
A brief stop Undine asked Rae-Moore and Mysable what was her chances with J.T.
“If it wasn’t for the starship he’d be at home. He’s a one gal guy.” Rae-Moore curtly told Undine.
Later Undine approached the Void while J.T. was sweating and pushing it.
“Need another hand?”
“Sure. Why not?” He gave her a smile.
She pushed and pushed. They eventually got going twice as fast and by the next circuit day they had reached their destination. A large spot of land crackling like it was once mud and now ash was before them.
“It will take us a few more hours.” J.T. told them.
Those hours spanned and they came upon the creepy edge of the area. Now it looked as if winds had blown it into piles of sand and in the distance was a dune of sand. Then there was others in the further distance.
“Why did we come so far?” Asked Undine in bewilderment.
“Shush! If it hears us it could scare and hop away.” J.T. whispered.
The three women asked in unison. “What?”
“There it is!” He pointed towards the most unsightly frog in history. “Happy Valentines ladies!”
Where was I all of this time? I was in hope of a passing fly, one I haven’t seen in ages. They came towards me and one said, “We could each take a leg…on three. One…two” I flipped over and dangled there to one side. “Three!” My other two legs were grabbed and I was pulled up and was carried upside-down and then locked into a box.

The End

message 15: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

The contest is again done for the week. Please go to the poll to vote who's your favorite story.

please no more stories for this week's topic

message 16: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune haha good job guys! LOL *kicks monolith rather hard*

well that was fun! : D

what scripts?

You never write stories mono : / brat

message 17: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments :P
some scripts for some plays she wrote a few years ago... they got edited, fixed up, and aalll the way to the point of being ready, and then they got lost and forgotten. :\

message 18: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments Kick monolith again!

now i want to rewriet that story. it was really terrible the first time!!

message 19: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune *kicks* : D so fun!!

cool! I want to write a play this summer...

message 20: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune nope, as soon as the contest is over, you're welcome to put it up on your profile, you don't have to wait for the winner announcement.

message 21: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Kali did a super job writing 'Sukie', winning the week contest you get your story displayed on Short Story Galore, find the story winners at http://shortstorygalore.synthasite.com/
or http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...
Sunny and Arthur tie for second!