Reader's Ink discussion

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Thought I better start questions today. Not sure if Ashley has had her baby or not, but want to give best chance as possible. Been fun thinking of the book again.

I hope you found the handout I emailed you helpful. I needed it time and time again cause I couldn't remember who was who in the picture and that really helped me. The information from the Phillips Museum was most interesting to me also.

1. Why do you think Renoir disliked the word Impressionist so much.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments At the start of the book, Renoir mentioned that he hated the term because it was created as a "slam," as if the painters couldn't actually paint real objects, just the impression of them.

Perhaps he felt that if he was given this term, then he would not be "allowed" to paint in any other style- that he would be sorted into a certain group and that would be that.

It's interesting to think of someone being part of an artistic movement as it's happening. I guess I thought that people were grouped into categories well after the fact. Maybe because so many artists are unappreciated in their lifetime, or at least that's the story that is sometimes portrayed.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Alas, no baby yet.

Good question, Carol. I think Julie is right--the term suggests that impressionists could only approximate objects or scenes. At the same time, I was sort of surprised Vreeland didn't portray Renoir as a little more assured that the impressioninst movement was aiming to show things in a new way. Perhaps he viewed his paintings--and those of other impressionists--as having more "truth" to them, so the suggestion that they were mere "impressions"--like a stamp or something--irritated him and undercut the newness of the art.

message 4: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments Julie- I like the point you made about being in the art movement as its changing, and the labels being made. I kind of thought like you, that it was something given later, and accepted now- same thing for the different periods in classical music. Things changed and evolved as different composers worked, and in different regions. Were the composers aware of the changes? Or just doing what worked for them?

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I like every one of your responses. My take on it was that and you pretty well said it, was that it became a label for the type of painting and the direction it was taking during that time. Renoir didn't want to be labeled or pigeon holed into what kind of art he painted, but this was the "groove" he was comfortable in at this time. I really like his style. I found a book at the library that had his works, and he does just beautiful paintings. It seems to fit for him.