Stephen King Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Feb 09, 2009 08:11AM) (new)

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Wish I had a Kindle!

Stephen announced today that he is releasing a novella, “Ur,” which will only be available on Kindle. Ur is available for pre-order beginning today and will be released later this month. For Kindle customers who pre-order, King’s new novella will download automatically when it becomes available.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/ur_k...

message 2: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) Frankly I think that's not fair. He's using a story to entice readers to buy a Kindle? My guess that at some time it will come out in print form, but I still consider this a scam and SK should know better.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Yeah i have to agree this seems like selling out. I was actually thinking about the Kindle this weekend and realized I can never own one because I carry what i read around with me and need something that can get beat up and not break. if you spill water on a book, take a hairdryer to it and you're still pretty good to go.:)

message 4: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) I also have no interest in ever owning a Kindle. So if the only way you can read a book is on a Kindle I think the author is losing a whole audience.

message 5: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Kindles are a little expensive for me. MAYBE when the price drops. But I just can't get over not being able to put a book on the shelf when I am done. King wrote an article on the Kindle and I read that's why he was approached to do this story:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20172...

Looks like the story is about a Kindle?

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Angie, I love it when u post links to old EW columns I'd forgotten about.

message 7: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Here is a synopsis of what the novella is about:

In his new novella, UR, King is at his unsettling best as he examines the future of the written word - for better or worse. Following a nasty break-up, lovelorn college English instructor Wesley Smith can't seem to get his ex-girlfriend's parting shot out of his head: "Why can't you just read off the computer like the rest of us?" Egged on by her question and piqued by a student's suggestion, Wesley places an order for Amazon.com's Kindle eReader. The [pink?:] device that arrives in a box stamped with the smile logo – via one-day delivery that he hadn't requested – unlocks a literary world that even the most avid of book lovers could never imagine. But once the door is open, there are those things that one hopes we'll never read or live through. Firm, gripping, and deftly written by a craftsman at the top of his game, this is King at his crisp, clear, page-turning best.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments sounds interesting but the product placement still bugs me.

message 9: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) Me too. Will wait for the print version

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments I like it better when SK makes up his own products

message 11: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I am surprised at the product placement! But King does like to try all kinds of ways to get people reading.. one of the first e-books, graphic novels, N on the internet free for people to read, and now a Kindle book. So I am not surprised totally at this.

message 12: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) I guess I'm not either, but the Kindle is a rather pricey item. You would have to read a lot of books on it to make it worth your while. So I plan to stick to paper.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I think part of the problem with the Kindle is that it is ridiculously expensive, and then you still have to pay $10 or so to buy the books to read on it. And for your investment (in the books) you can ONLY read them with the Kindle itself.

What if it breaks? You spill your coffee on it? Your kid steps on the screen or your dog buries it? You just wasted EVERY PENNY you ever spent on the Kindle or the book downloads.

I just don't think it's worth it.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3915 comments I agree with Becky. I need something tangible, not just a program on ONE device I could lose or break. I remember Beta and those Record looking things movies came on for a while. I don't have the spare money to invest in something that "may" catch on and have staying power. I'm too much of a cheapskate to not get something I can hold for my money! Even if it becomes obsolete, I can look at it that way.

message 15: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) Yes there is a new Kindle coming out the Kindle 2. It's on the Amazon web site. I actually like new technology, but a KIndle doesn't meet my needs. I like the paper, holding the book, admiring the cover, reading the blurbs. I think they cost around $300 (don't hold me on that I'm not really sure).In any case more $ then I would be willing to spend on something I don't know if I would use.

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

G4 is a great channel Rob.. don't be embarrassed if you watch it! Ninja Warrior!

message 17: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Here is an interview with King about the book:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologyl...

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments OMG I love Ninja Warrior!

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Oh my god, I just used OMG. Momentary lapse in sanity.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3915 comments ROFL (I had to ask my kids for the appropriate response;)

message 21: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

hummmm... this may sound stupid but what is ROFL?

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3915 comments Roll on the floor laughing! I was just going to put LOL, which I knew meant laugh out loud, but my son suggested the other.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Deleted Rob, but I knew that wasn't intentional. I just thought it was a funny coincidence...

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) True...

So! Anyone know what "Ur" is supposed to mean?

message 25: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

These things are so confusing... but I do know BYOB! It makes me feel old (and today I turned 30 so I REALLY feel old)! HOLLA!

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Haha! Angie said "Holla".

Happy Birthday Angie! My boyfriend's birthday is today too, he's 29.

message 27: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Feb 12, 2009 11:55AM) (new)

Today is the best days for birthdays.. Lincoln, Darwin... me , your boyfriend, and .........my husband! Yes we have the same birthday!

Here is a clip of King reading Ur:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoFwm-...

Kinda hard to hear but still interesting.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I didn't know Darwin's birthday was today... That could explain why PBS showed "Intelligent Design On Trial" the other night. Go Darwin!

message 29: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

February birthdays are the best! Is this off topic or what? :)

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3915 comments My son's birthday is the 15th. I don't feel at all old that I know what BYOB means;)

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Angie wrote: "February birthdays are the best!"

Yep, my mom's birthday is on the 18th... I have to say that February is second only to September, which is when MY National Holiday birthday is. ;)

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3915 comments My other two children, dad and one brother are all September. Must be because of cold winters!!!!

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Something like that! Although my parents were living in San Diego then, so maybe it was the excitement of the new year...?

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Happy Birthday Angie!

message 35: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

If you have an IPhone you can now read Ur :
http://larryfire.wordpress.com/2009/0...

message 36: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Angie wrote: "If you have an IPhone you can now read Ur :
http://larryfire.wordpress.com/2009/0...
"

SQUEE! You are my favorite person of the day... possibly of the week, month, year! I've been pining for a Kindle and the ability to cary all of my favorite books around with me all the time (yep, I'm a total technophile), but it would not be... fiscally responsible... for me to buy one right now. (Dang it! Why can't I be obscenely wealthy?!) I've got an iPhone and tried some of the eReaders available for it but haven't been impressed with any of them- either their format is clunky or the book selections stink. I definitely have to give this a try.

message 37: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I think it is neat the kindle app is free on the IPhone!

message 38: by Sam (new)

Sam Angie wrote: "I think it is neat the kindle app is free on the IPhone! "

not allowed to have it down under yet :(

message 39: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I do not have the IPhone either... it is exclusively on AT&T and I have Sprint.. so sad!

message 40: by Stacie (last edited Mar 09, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Angie wrote: "I do not have the IPhone either... it is exclusively on AT&T and I have Sprint.. so sad! "

Well, I love my iPhone enough that I would have been happy switching to AT&T if I hadn't already been a customer but I have friends that aren't as impressed with it as I am- it isn't the easiest texting phone if you are used to buttons. That said I really appreciate the way you can customize your phone to your exact needs with different applications... hang on, this wasn't supposed to be an iPhone commercial, promise! I read "Ur" on Friday; it wasn't bad or anything but it wasn't one of his best. More like a fleshed out idea he had than the well crafted and polished works I've come to expect from him. There was nothing particularly "King"-ish; anyone could have written it. That said, it was less than $3 and I was entertained for the few minutes It took to read... and I would love to have an "Ur" Kindle! If you are just dying to read it, don't run out and buy a Kindle or iPhone just for that reason; borrow someone else's for ten minutes and you'll be fine. If you've already got one buy the story and share with the less fortunate :)

message 41: by MARILYN (last edited Mar 09, 2009 11:17AM) (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) Stacie, I love my iPhone too. I would have also switched if I hadn't been an AT&T customer. I love the Apps and keep running down my battery playing with it. I did buy the iPhone the Missing Manual and found more things I didn't know about the phone. I have downloaded the Kindle App but haven't used it yet.

message 42: by Craig (new)

Craig (digitalcraig) The Kindle app also works on the iPod Touch.

message 43: by Bojana (new)

Bojana (msmassacre) | 6 comments This was the first thing I read on my Kindle device when I first got it :) The story's really original and great!

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Do you have a pink Kindle?

message 45: by Steve (new)

Steve | 246 comments Back to topic, this will probably show up in print at some point. Does anyone remember the crazy tin-bound release of My Pretty Pony, complete with digital clock, that priced for like $1000?

message 46: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1095 comments Mod
That was actually on topic, in a funny kinda way....

Oh yes, I agree that it will show up in a collection someday...

message 47: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments Did 'My Pretty Pony' ever turn up in any collection?

message 48: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments Oh never mind. I answered my own question with a quick trip to Wikipedia. It's in Nightmares & Dreamscapes

message 49: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments So, those of you have read Ur, what did you think? I liked it, loved the Tower references of course! Alternate realities are fascinating to me, and this was a quick read. Overall, worth the $3!

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I liked Ur as well. It was a fun side trip :)

« previous 1