Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > book won't link to author

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Porup (JMPorup) | 8 comments I am the co-author of the 5th ed. of the above book. The book page correctly lists me and links to my author page.

However, the book does not appear on my Dashboard.

Also, on my author page, it lists the OLDER 4th ed!

What is going on? How do I solve these two problems?

thanks
J.M. Porup

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 602 comments Sorry which book. You haven't linked anything.

message 3: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 871 comments If you are referring to the book Caribbean Islands (which I'm guessing at, since it's the only book on your author page I can see that doesn't show you as the author), I'm tipping the issue is thus: you're only the author of the one edition (5th) but it's combined with all the other editions of that book. BUT the most popular edition is the edition with ISBN 9781741040555 (I'm guessing the 4th ed.), so that is the one showing up on your author page.

I'm not saying this is optimal, but this is the way the system chooses which book to display, based on popularity. Librarians can't do anything about changing that.

I can't say I can even guess at what's going on with your author dashboard - we can't see what that looks like; but it would surprise me not at all to discover it is tied in with these multiple editions combined each with varying authors.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments they should not be combined

They need a common author adding back, separating and then the common author removing I..e lonely planet

They can all be linked by adding to a series "Lonely Planet - Caribbean"

message 5: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 871 comments Ok, so now I'm confused. In this thread, Cait mentions that "books ... get combined if they are substantially similar in content but have updated information from year to year; they don't get combined if they have all new content on the same theme from year to year (that would be a series instead)".

Wouldn't lonely planet updates be substantially similar from year to year and thus be combined?

I have no vested interest in this particular case whatsoever, as I was only attempting to explain why he was experiencing this based on what I saw. But I am curious for clarification going forward in situations like this.

message 6: by Paula (last edited Sep 27, 2012 12:20AM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments Books should have human authors /editors (where possible) where editors are different the books should not be combined but linked as a series.

If they have the same author/ editor then they can be combined. There is a thread somewhere with this in I ll see if I can find it.

Edit:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 7: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 871 comments Ok, it starts to make sense. A series should be made of these 5, but the books with common authorship/editorialship should also be combined. Correct?

message 8: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Porup (JMPorup) | 8 comments Every edition of a Lonely Planet title generally has vastly different content -- sometimes as much as 70% different content, and often completely different authors.

My suggestion is that each edition be treated separately.

More importantly, why is the book not showing up on my dashboard if I'm listed as one of the authors?

thanks
J.M. Porup