A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1) A Child Called "It" discussion

who likes this book and thinks that its sad and depressing?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee Mifflin who likes this book but thinks that it is very depressing and sad? I think that it is really sad, but i like the book series

message 2: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I resisted reading this book for a long time because I already knew what was going to happen (saw the author interviewed), but knowing that David overcame so much got me to read it. It is hugely popular with my students.

Shyamali Kaylee wrote: "who likes this book but thinks that it is very depressing and sad? I think that it is really sad, but i like the book series"

It is definitely sad and depressing! I am so glad David had courage to overcome so much.

Megan Quinn I had to read this in high school and it was such a sad and depressing story. I had to read the rest of the series and was so glad he overcame it all.

Imogene It was really a sad and depressing story. I'm thinking, if that's what I felt about it, what more David? But he's strong and he surpass that. Good thing too, he used this experience as an inspiration and not dwell on what happened to him in the past.

Wishing him all the luck in the future. He's gone through enough.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann General its DEFINITELY sad and depressing! i couldnt imagine anyone to be in his place :( sooo proud of him that he was able to overcome all of that.

message 7: by Tj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tj Tuisaloo I think its really sad at the begining but in the middle i was really excited because he finally found a family and a mom who does'nt abuse him

Koleen Hansen I thought it was quite sad and depressing as well, and it did bother I a little bit that I found out a real child had to live through a situation like that. I Wishing him all the luck in the future. He's gone through enough

Cassidy Same here. I think it is sad and depressing but i like the series.

Maria I was appalled with all that took place but I truly enjoyed the series and my girls enjoyed them. I taught a couple of Summer classes and recommended it for extra credit, the response was about 88% who said they enjoyed it!!

Sarahi I read this book a long time ago and it almost made me cry!!! :)

Sarah Fox I absolutely love this book. Not in the way I enjoy most books, but reading this book puts me in a state of melancholy. I am appreciative and this book fills me with gratitude for what I have. This book allows me to open my eyes to the world, and truly be present.

Kirstin i did cry and i was only 12 years old when i read it. it was a good book. honestly, at parts i wished he would've just died to not only get his mom busted for good, but also he didn't have to continue on living through the pain.

Marylene Dave Pelzer's books made my cry and even gag at some points. It's so crazy to believe that people go through this in real life. I read these books many years ago. My daughter read the first one. She's in high school. She couldn't believe it either.

message 15: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori i liked this book. it touched me and I felt so bad for Dave. I read his first three books that tie in with A Child Called IT. it is very sad read. thinking about what David went through.

Olayemi Owolodun I think it is sad and this actually happened to him people should care for their children.David is a good person.

Vanessa I think it is very sad but at the same time VERY inspiring. It evoked so much emotion from me which i am sure caused all people to open their eyes to abuse. But it is inspiring because it is not a hopeless ending. He is a survivor and he goes on to become a successful individual.

Ramiro hernandez at first this book made me pissed off that some one would do this to their kid but i was truly inspired by David that he was able to survive through all that and still have a good life.

message 19: by Hoda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hoda Marmar I like it, it IS depressing, but reality hurts, right? I wouldn't recommend this book for those who prefer not to know the truth if it stings.

Marylene OMG...I read these books so many years ago, but this one in particular really made me cry and even gag at points. I can't believe this is a true story and I can't believe he is where he is today. All the power to him. This book really broke my heart, but I really loved reading it and the rest of them.

Katie The reality that a child would be treated like this is unforgivable but it does happen, and to often. David's story is such an inspiration to me personally on behalf of my nephew who has had to live with career criminal drug addicts parents. My now 9 yr. old nephew is safe in a foster home and in school. Which we consider "rescuing " at this point. David's story tells me there is such hope to rise above all that is needed to succeed in having a happy life. David's story horrified and touched my heart in a way it may never heal. But I am profoundly determined to permanently adopt my nephew and provide him with every resource available to secure him a wonderful future. Prayers for all children♥

Mallory Oatman It is sad and depressing but also on the other hand it is a great book it must of been hard to just put your whole life story out there he was very brave

Katie Blanchette Well, first of all, if someone reads this book and does not think that it is depressing or sad obviously that person is messed up in the head and needs some help.

message 24: by Bima (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bima Choudhury A heart wrenching story indeed, the author must have been very brave to come out of it and establish a new identity.

Phyllis It is very sad that children are abused in any way in our society. But the fact is, they are. I am thankful that David found a way to survive & and pray that many more may also.

Heather Ruppert Yeah, okay, I admit it. I didn't finish this one. I had just lost both my in-laws and found that I was not able to read either this nor a biography on Mary Queen of Scots (cause I knew she would be beheaded at the end and I just couldn't handle it.)

message 27: by Mackenzie (new) - added it

Mackenzie it is a story saying that it does not make accuse to be in a gane, murder, or something bad just because you had abuse of parents. cause look at the athorer he is a writer, husband, and a father.

Rachel He deserves a lot of respect for what he went through. I'm glad he could over come it all!

message 29: by Ashlyn (new) - added it

Ashlyn It is depressing! To think that a mother could do that to her own child. He never gave up though, an he has become successful and has his own beautiful family now.

Jeremy Hung I'm not sure if fans of this book are aware of the controversy surrounding it. I picked up the book fully ready to sympathise, but after a few pages in knew that it is fabricated for the exact purpose of making you feel sorry for him.

I thought the book was both sad and depressing, because it is a sick thing to manipulate readers' feelings by lying at this scale in literature.

After reading the book, I read this article and am glad it exists to validate my anger towards this sick, sick man: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/28/mag...

message 31: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally Im glad I have parents that don't abuse me. :)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Kaylee wrote: "who likes this book but thinks that it is very depressing and sad? I think that it is really sad, but i like the book series"

I agree. It killed me reading this book, but it does open your eyes to the evil people who are out there.

message 33: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally totally. I completely agree. listen 2 this song. its sad.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2OF1...

message 34: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally I love this book series! :) Kaylee and Theresa

Marylene This book and the next one really killed me. I cried, I gagged, I wanted to bring him home and just love him. I loved this book, but it was just so sad. I can't believe it's based on his real life. I can't believe people can just be so cruel.

Felicia This story on it's surface is truly tragic. But he is one of the most inspiring characters (yes I know it is an autobiography) in literature. For someone to be able to go thorugh this at such a young age and be able to voice it at all is nothing short of inspiring. There are lessons in David's story for all of us-- be aware; be present; OPEN your ears and your eyes to those around you; be loving.

message 37: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally This inspired me to adopt children

Deonna As a former foster parent, I have to say that the events in this book happen every day. We need more people like Dave that give us a reason to help fight the abuse of children. It should upset us all and it should move us to action to help wherever we can. P.S. I adopted my foster children and they have brought real joy to our family.

message 39: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally You met him? ashleypolis@yahoo.com

message 40: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally wow! email me at ashleypolis@yahoo.com or kantbemorehappy@gmail.com or add me on goodreads!

Umme Aiemun Yousuf i love this. i've read it soooo many times. It's awesome, though it may be a bit sad & a little depression but it exposes the truth about certain facets of life.

message 42: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally Umme Aiemun wrote: "i love this. i've read it soooo many times. It's awesome, though it may be a bit sad & a little depression poop but it exposes the truth about certain facets of life." totally!

message 43: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally whats the most saddest case of Child Abuse uve ever heard of?

Umme Aiemun Yousuf The book Alone by Pip Granger & Dave Pelzer ... ofc

message 45: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally ill read it

Lucki this book is very sad. But i enjoyed reading it. The ending was very sad too.

message 47: by Ying (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ying Wang Does it describe in his other books why his mother treated him this way?

message 48: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Pally Ying wrote: "Does it describe in his other books why his mother treated him this way?"

not really is says shes drunk

message 49: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary I read IT several years ago because someone close to me had been raised in an abusive situation. Reading well-crafted descriptions let me (finally) graphically see and understand what my sheltered background made incomprehensible. That's the value of the book.

message 50: by Renelia (new)

Renelia Bardales I really enjoyed this bbok it was really interesting. I have to admit it is a really sad and depressing book. The author Dave Pelzer was really detailed when he wrote about his experiences, which made the book depressing because you could actually imagine what he was going through. An example of how his mother was violent is on page 26, " Mother smacked, punched and kicked me until I crumpled to the floor." Its really sad to read this and know that their is many children that are abused. But overall i really liked this book, its great.

« previous 1