Ask C.L. Parker ANYTHING discussion

Agent hunting

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Beach | 1 comments Do you have any good tips or tricks to getting an agent? I'll be publishing my first work of fiction via E-book format in the next few weeks, and I'm wanting to also go the route of traditional publishing.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Parker (clparker) | 11 comments Mod
Charlie wrote: "Do you have any good tips or tricks to getting an agent? I'll be publishing my first work of fiction via E-book format in the next few weeks, and I'm wanting to also go the route of traditional pub..."

Hi Charlie! Thank you ever so much for the question. Congratulations on your first book!!! That's exciting!!

Regarding tips or tricks on getting an agent ... I don't know that I can help you with that because I don't have an agent myself. When you're self-pubbing or going through a small press publisher, an agent may not be cost effective. I would never say you don't need one, but it's for you to decide if it's worth the cut they get for the services rendered - do you need the services?

If you feel you do, then you're going to need to sell yourself to an agent so they will agree to sell you in return. Keep in mind that you ARE your writing. That means you need a really good query letter and synopsis of your book. A query letter is a resume of sorts, an application to convince the agent you're targeting that you're worth their time and effort.

In my opinion, writing the book is the easy part. The query letter and synopsis, on the other hand, not so much. For the synopsis, you're trying to put all the fantastic details about your book and its characters in 5-7 pages. Now, imagine condensing that down to one page - your query letter - while also talking about yourself.

The best advice I can give you on writing a powerful query letter and synopsis is to do a lot of research. Know what your target audience is looking for, and that can be different with each agent. There are tons of books out there written by the experts to guide you in this endeavor, and there are also a lot of online resources you can use as well. Write the synopsis first, and then whittle it down, keeping the key points and sellers and trimming the fat. Then, trim it some more until you have it where it needs to be.

I hope this helps!