Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) Eragon discussion

movie is not good

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alexander reykhart the movie had so many fictional stuff that the book didn't have so i really liked the book more

Summer Leppanen The movie was bad. SO bad. And not just because I spent the whole time yelling at the screen. It was just a bad film. It really made no sense. They really screwed themselves over for a sequel--hence its never happening.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Whenever I'm mad, I watch Eragon and yell at the TV. It's an awesome channel for your agression. For example: WHERE IS ELVA! ARYA LOOKS WRONG! ERAGON LOOKS WRONG! And that's just the beginning. Shame... the book was brilliant.

Rebecca Movie was not good - you don't say? It was just well, horrible.

Badgerlord movie is not good

DING DING DING! Understatement of the centuary award!

message 6: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat I think it was okay. If you've never read the book your like "WOOHOO! YEAH! AWESOME!" But if you DID read the book your like "BOO! SUCKS! YEAH! NO!"

Wesley  Jade I agree. Terrible Terrible Terrible!!! Arya as a Blond?!! And what about Angela. I loved Angela! And if you didn't look hard enough, you would never know Hrothgar and his people were dwarves! I better stop... blood pressure rising.

Alexis I agree. They messed up the characters completly. THey made Arya a red, Saphira didn't even look blue, and they changed the plot line. In the book Eragon didn't come home happy from hunting but the movie made him like that. Also like people are saying, they left out two characters. I think Brom was the closest to the description in the book.

Rebecca Bloomer I was SO disappointed in this movie. I took my son to watch it gold class because we'd both loved the book so much. We left the theatre thoroughly bewildered.

Michael Yeah the movie sucks, I guess it is passable as something to watch on a bored afternoon but it just needs a reboot, and I'm sure it will get one once film studios finish churning out sequels.

Ansis Sparāns I saw the movie long before I read the book and at the time I thought it was OK,but after I read the book I have to say that the movie was novere near the books standarts.
That said you have to admit its preaty imposible to make a movie thats anyware near as good as the book - I sertainly never sean one.

Melanie Stockton If i had to choose between the book and the movie, i would go with the book anyday because it is better than the movie itself

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Argh! The movie is awful! Worst part: Arya. Since when is Arya BLONDE??

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, I love love love Angela in the books, but in the movie she's...nuts!

message 15: by Zaryna (last edited Mar 02, 2013 01:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaryna WORST MOVIE EVER! it might be the fact that ive read this book about 3 times and i loved this series...then i found out there was a movie and i watched it and...so many things they did wrong...
im not going to list all of the things wrong about the movie im just going to name one that bugged me...

When Brom died... in the book it was the best scene ever he finally told Eragon that he was a dragon rider and in the movie they completly stuffed it up (i would also like to add that Brom was killed by Urgal NOT DURZA).;..
im going to stop now! and please tell me if you agree or dissagree!

bye!

message 16: by Demi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Demi Strub Yes this movie was BAD but hopefully it was bad enough to make them think of redoing it. I would love to see this as a movie sticking to the book. And with how popular the two movies for one book thing is becoming I really hope they try to redo it.

message 17: by Hollz (new) - rated it 1 star

Hollz i never read the book, and since i dont know how it goes.... the movie was really cool to me! but i am sure that if i read it (which i am some day) then it would be bad. but for right now it is not on my hate list

Renae The only reason I watched the movie was to have something to laugh at on a long road trip.

And laugh I did.

Seriously, all they did by cutting characters and important plot points was doom themselves to never producing the sequel. Did they even read the book? XD CGI was nice though. I'll give them that.

message 19: by Hollz (new) - rated it 1 star

Hollz how was the movie so differant from the book? i mean they cant do it exactly like the book because did you see how BIG that thing is?? it would have to be like a 4 hour movie for it to match the book right.

Renae Solembum wasn't in the movie. Neither was Angela. No herbalist and her adorbs lil werecat = no fortune-telling and prophecies. No prophecies = No way for Eragon to forge his new sword, find all the epic secret lairs, etc etc etc basically every important event or point that shaped the plots of the next three books. Without the two characters they didn't bother to add in, it's impossible to make the next movie, at least not without severely butchering the storyline. By the time they would've gotten to Inheritance, it wouldn't have even come close to Paolini's writing. ;)

So yes, while I understand you can't put EVERYTHING into a movie, leaving out two incredibly significant characters is NOT the way to go. They managed to keep Les Miserables together, and that book is 1,463 pages long.

Pardon, I just realized you haven't read it, so you probably have no idea what I was talking about. But just imagine a Harry Potter without Neville and Ron. People who've never read the book might think the movies absolutely fine.

message 21: by Hollz (new) - rated it 1 star

Hollz ok ... but I have never seen or read harry potter, but I know what you mean. I have read books and movies are NEVER as good as books.

Renae Pick a series, just about any series, I can give you an example XD and I beg to differ. The Hobbit was pretty fantastic so far in terms of book-to-movie transition.

message 23: by Demi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Demi Strub Renae wrote: "Pick a series, just about any series, I can give you an example XD and I beg to differ. The Hobbit was pretty fantastic so far in terms of book-to-movie transition."

DragonLance

Sparrowlicious To be fair, the book isn't good as well.
To be fair again, the people who made the movie probably had a very low budget. They obviously blew everything on CGI, without even sticking Saphira's wings anywhere on her body where they might have made sense (in the middle of the back means there are no muscles to actually help her flapping her wings).

Also, Paolini's purple prose and drawing out every minor scene makes it impossible to turn this story into a watchable movie or even tv series.
Was it necessary to show really everything? I'm now at listening to the audiobook of Brisingr and Paolini still can't stop dragging out minor scenes. He's still trying to fix his plot holes which wouldn't be there at all if he hadn't published what was obviously a very early draft of his story.
These things pretty much make it impossible to make a good adaption out of this story while at the same time making an entertaining movie out of it.

Also, to be fair once again - the movie wasn't really that bad compared to the book. Sure, they left a lot of unecessary things out and changed some stuff but yeah, try adapting a story that is like Star Wars with dragons. You'll run into problems.

Stella The movie is really a quite bad adaptation of the book. I hated it when I first watched it. But a few months/years I watched it again and when you already know that it's not a great movie and that it isn't very close to the book then it's actually quite okay. It has some really good actors like Jeremy Irons and John Malkovich and beautiful landscapes. When you turn your brain off a bit and don't think too much about how it's too different from the book, it's actually quite enjoyable.
Also baby Saphira is cute.

Lexie Renae wrote: "Solembum wasn't in the movie. Neither was Angela. No herbalist and her adorbs lil werecat = no fortune-telling and prophecies. No prophecies = No way for Eragon to forge his new sword, find all the..."

Angela was in the movie, but she wasn't like she was supposed to be. She looked and acted creepy and didn't talk about frogs. They totally ruined her character!

Lexie The movie was horrible and pathetic. Before I even watched it, I looked at the cover and the inside information and went on a 45 min (at least) about how the swords weren't colored right. I found at least 5 things wrong with how Arya looked, and even more with Eragon. HE DOESN"T HAVE BROWN HAIR!!!! That got on my nerves. Then I yelled at the TV during the whole movie. There was something wrong in every scene. They even didn't give Eragon an injury form fighting the shade!!! What the Heck! And then Arya left and Eragon didn't go with her!!!!!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

ok I am done

Over All-
terrible movie if you love the books
ok if you like this kind of movie and have never read the books

Renae Lexie wrote: "Renae wrote: "Solembum wasn't in the movie. Neither was Angela. No herbalist and her adorbs lil werecat = no fortune-telling and prophecies. No prophecies = No way for Eragon to forge his new sword..."

My bad, I couldn't recall it. I've only sat through it once, for obvious reasons!

Renae And if hair color irritates you, try the book-to-movie transition for the Percy Jackson & The Olympians. Everything was entirely wrong about that movie.

And they're making a sequel. Oh joy.

Kassidy Summer wrote: "The movie was bad. SO bad. And not just because I spent the whole time yelling at the screen. It was just a bad film. It really made no sense. They really screwed themselves over for a sequel--henc..."

AMEN!

Kassidy Evanna Cat Morris wrote: "I think it was okay. If you've never read the book your like "WOOHOO! YEAH! AWESOME!" But if you DID read the book your like "BOO! SUCKS! YEAH! NO!""

i agree... but i have read the book. so i hate it. A LOT. In fact.. i'd hunt down every copy and clone them so that i could bury the other disks in their remains.. and then wipe the internet of all memory of the foulness...

Lavetta Cain Liked the book, though seemed like the author tried to put a lil too much into it, and it almost seemed like it was never going to end, but I HATED the movie If I hadn't known that the movie was "supposed" to be based on the book I probably would have just thought "hey, this is similar to a book I read once"

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Le duh.

Movies are virtually never as epic or perfect as the novels they are modeled after.

But this one was just *special.* Not only did they totally change the characters, goals, and motives, but the final battle scene didn't even remotely resemble the original one, which was exponentially better in my opinion.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Renae wrote: "Solembum wasn't in the movie. Neither was Angela. No herbalist and her adorbs lil werecat = no fortune-telling and prophecies. No prophecies = No way for Eragon to forge his new sword, find all the..."

Renae, Angela was in the movie. You know Eragon meets that fortuneteller? That's Angela. Although Solembum wasn't in the movie, Angela definitely was.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Lexie wrote: "The movie was horrible and pathetic. Before I even watched it, I looked at the cover and the inside information and went on a 45 min (at least) about how the swords weren't colored right. I found a..."

Hear hear!

Nikki it was horrible! i want them to remake it with better actors, director, and script write :|

Nikki Summer wrote: "The movie was bad. SO bad. And not just because I spent the whole time yelling at the screen. It was just a bad film. It really made no sense. They really screwed themselves over for a sequel--henc..."
wasnt everyone

Victoria Collins I really felt for the author when I saw the movie. As a script writer and novelist myself, I know how difficult it can be to hand your work to directors and actors and have to let go. I don't know how much the author had to do with the movie, but I hope he takes heart in the idea that we expected it to be awesome, based on our experiences of the book.

(I think it's important to remember too that not all movies set out to be simply screen versions of the book - there's not necessarily anything wrong with changing details and more, if your aim is to take it somewhere new... and it works.)

Renae Tierney wrote: "Renae wrote: "Solembum wasn't in the movie. Neither was Angela. No herbalist and her adorbs lil werecat = no fortune-telling and prophecies. No prophecies = No way for Eragon to forge his new sword..."

My bad, it's been awhile.

Ariel The movie kinda scared me.

Heather Cyr I am certain that I will be severely criticized for the opinion I am about to write as everyone on this page seems to have loved the book and hated the movie(please be kind);

I thought the movie was better than the book. (Cue boo/hiss sound bite). I like the story a-lot, but I was not crazy about the authors writing. At all. Whatsoever. I know he's super young, but the writing could have been better. Much better.

message 42: by Ara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ara Metto I bought the darn movie on impulse when I first got into the series. You can not imagine how angry I was that I couldn't find the receipt to get a refund. Just looking at the cover causes rage in my SOUL, so it's buried in a box I rarely ever go through. Maybe I can pawn it off on some unfortunate child for Christmas... >:D

Thomas one of the worst movies ever made, even if I had never read the book I have never watched a worse movie.

Josephine No indeed. it sucked.