Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Great Speeches
This topic is about Great Speeches
Policies & Practices > How To Add Scanned Google Books That Are Out of Copyright

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teddee (new) - added it

Teddee (tedvonswinkertoodleloo) | 5 comments Google Books has a lot of older books or older editions that it has scanned. These books are out of copyright and are public domain. It is scanned version of a print book. Is it considered a separate edition or do we just treat it as the original print edition?

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments It will be treated like an ebook.

You could post links to some that you are thinking about adding and get a discussion going.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6773 comments It seems more like a different printing of the same book.

message 4: by Teddee (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:29AM) (new) - added it

Teddee (tedvonswinkertoodleloo) | 5 comments How about this book? Available for purchase from google: http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=Whu...

There are no other editions listed in goodreads

message 5: by Teddee (new) - added it

Teddee (tedvonswinkertoodleloo) | 5 comments Maybe I was wrong about being out of copyright. It looks like copyright protection lasts longer than I thought.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq...

Maybe Google has an agreement with the original publisher?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6773 comments That one isn't a scanned copy, but the sale of an ebook.

message 7: by Robin (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:44AM) (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments Teddee wrote: "How about this book? Available for purchase from google: http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=Whu...

There are no other editions listed in goodreads"

This is an ebook as far as I can tell so I'd enter it as an ebook. If it's been scanned and/or OCR'ed than it's been digitized and is therefore an ebook. But I see it does not have a unique ISBN so I'm not sure how to handle that - I'd maybe just leave it blank. Goodreads does have the paperback version: Great Speeches (I don't know if that's just been added or if you missed it) - so just add the ebook edition to that.

message 8: by Teddee (new) - added it

Teddee (tedvonswinkertoodleloo) | 5 comments Ah I think you're right, it's an ebook. Google Play doesn't show any separate "publishing" information on its books, at least not on this one. Do we just treat it as an ebook edition but with all the same ISBN numbers and publishing information? (Kindle editions have their own ASINs.)

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments You can't enter duplicate ISBN numbers which is why I would just leave it blank. An ebook properly released with a publisher will have an ISBN (even if it's out of copyright), not just a Kindle/ASIN, but if it doesn't have one, you'll have to just leave it blank.

message 10: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Kittell (kittell) | 3 comments Hi all. I see this thread is a few months stale, but it seems like the best place to ask this (versus starting a new thread, etc.).

I'm reading William Lewis Manly's Death Valley in '49 on my phone. It's an OCR version that Google scanned of an 1894 edition of the book. None of the existing versions of the book on Goodreads seem to describe this version, so I've added this edition: Death Valley in '49 .

I want to check to see that I've added the details of the edition correctly (since the reason I signed up as a Goodreads librarian was to help correct info on the site). Here's the text I entered that I'm not sure about:

Published date: Sep 19, 2006 (listed as the digitized date on Google Books, though the paper copy was published in 1894)
Publisher: Google Books (wasn't sure who gets listed as the publisher--Google did the scanning/digitizing, but The Pacific tree and vine co. published the original)

What's the procedure on Goodreads with old scanned books? Is this the right or wring info to include?

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43509 comments Mod
Looks good to me.

message 12: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Kirk wrote: "Hi all. I see this thread is a few months stale, but it seems like the best place to ask this (versus starting a new thread, etc.).

I'm reading William Lewis Manly's Death Valley in '49 on my phon..."

That is how I have been adding things like this (gutenberg.org, archive.org, etc.). I usually add something like "Digitized from the 1894 edition by The Pacific Tree and Vine Co." to the description, but you don't have to.