Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general) > 2013- CHALLENGE INDEX

Comments (showing 1-50 of 142) (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments HI EVERYONE!!

It's hard to believe 2013 is only a few months away. We will be indexing the 2013 Challenges in this thread soon. Meanwhile, I wanted to start the volunteer hosting list so that anyone who would like to give it a try has some time to plan in advance.

Don't be shy! If you've been participating in the challenges and are enjoying them, why not see if hosting is something else you might like? It can be as addicting as the challenges themselves!

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Volunteer Challenge Host Duties

Now that I've been roped into hosting a challenge, what am I supposed to do?

1. Post/Launch the Challenge in the appropriate thread (Dare You To Read, Other, Monthly, Yearly) .
2. Create an event and send invites to group members. (Optional)
3. Monitor the thread by visiting it as often as one can.
4. Give encouraging and congratulatory comments to challenge participants.
5. Keep track of participants that completed the challenge.
6. Officially end the challenge by posting the list of members who have completed the challenge. Stats about the challenge are also welcome, but are not required.

Happy hosting!

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 27, 2013 02:50PM) (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Challenge Hosts for 2013

Monthly Challenge-

January- Jane
February- Ty
March- Vi
April- KarenH
May- Breann
June- Lacy
July- Nicola
August- Nikita
September- MountainKat
October- Hina
November- Tina
December- KarenH

PIFM Challenge-

January- Vi
February- Fran
March-MountainKat
April- Hina
May-KarenH
June- Breann
July- MountainKat
August- Vi
September- Breann
October- KarenH
November- Hina
December- Nairabell

Yearly Challenge Hosts-

2013 A-Z Author Challenge -Dragana
2013 A-Z Book Challenge -Dragana
2013 A-Z Character Challenge (Male)- Joann
2013 A-Z Character Challenge (Female)- Joann
2013 Chubby Chunkster Challenge- Vi
2013 Create-Your-Own Reading Challenge- Nicola
2013 A-Z Friends Challenge - Tina
2013 Convention Challenge- Dee

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Ty, I gave you the Feb Monthly :)

message 5: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments cool beans, how fun! Will we have assigned categories for the monthly or do we get to choose ourselves?

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Ty wrote: "cool beans, how fun! Will we have assigned categories for the monthly or do we get to choose ourselves?"

There are a few standard categories that you have to include and then the rest you get to decide based on the calendar for that month.

message 7: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Cool, I missed this somehow. Can I put my name (tentatively) for March monthly and the April PIFM? Thanks, Fran!

message 8: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:20AM) (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Categories that need to be included in each Monthly Challenge-

1. 'S' is for September: Read a book that starts with 'S' or a book whose author's first or last name starts with 'S'. (Substitute appropriate month and letter)

2. Happy Birthday!: Read a book from a September birthday celebrant's GR bookshelf whose name/nickname starts with the same letter as yours. If no one has the same letter, choose someone with the closest letter to yours alphabetically. (Link appropriate month's birthday list),(you may also use your birth date and a member of the birthday list who shares the same date or has a close date to yours instead of name/nickname if you want to)

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, character or setting is from (Austria). (Yz will provide geographic location)

4.host choice
5. host choice
6. host choice
7. host choice
8. host choice
9.host choice

10. Reader's Choice: Read any book of your choice.

Categories 4-9 should be based on different holidays/special days/celebrations that occur during the month of that challenge.

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Vi wrote: "Cool, I missed this somehow. Can I put my name (tentatively) for March monthly and the April PIFM? Thanks, Fran!"

Vi, you want the March Monthly and the January PIFM or the April PIFM? I'm trying to keep a few open in case someone who hasn't hosted yet can get a shot at it. If I need you for both PIFMs I will definitely add you :)

message 10: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Kat,

I gave you the March PIFM. If I need you for more I will definitely add you :) Trying to leave a few spots open in case anyone who hasn't gotten a chance yet wants to try.

message 11: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 4187 comments Hi Fran, I'm available whenever you need me! :)

message 12: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Hi Fran, I'm available whenever you need me! :)"

Thanks Karen!

Would you prefer a Monthly or PIFM?

message 13: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 4187 comments Fran wrote: "~KarenH~ wrote: "Hi Fran, I'm available whenever you need me! :)"

Thanks Karen!

Would you prefer a Monthly or PIFM?"

Either one is fine. I think I'm more comfortable with the Monthly, only because I have more trouble coming up with ideas for picking rules in the PIFM - other than that I really do enjoy both!

message 14: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 8913 comments Fran wrote: "Kat,

I gave you the March PIFM. If I need you for more I will definitely add you :) Trying to leave a few spots open in case anyone who hasn't gotten a chance yet wants to try."

Works for me!

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 644 comments Hi Fran,
Just responded in the wrong thread, but I am willing to do a mothly or two. July and August are my first choices, but as long as I avoid February and June (report card writing) I am pretty much good for the others as well.

message 16: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Fran wrote: "~KarenH~ wrote: "Hi Fran, I'm available whenever you need me! :)"

Thanks Karen!

Would you prefer a Monthly or PIFM?"

Either one is fine. I think I'm more comfortable with the Mont..."

Karen, in the old days we just picked 8 choices for the other person, no fancy categories or ideas. In case you want to do another PIFM in the future, I just wanted you to know it can be super simple. That's what I'm doing in February- old school!

message 17: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 4187 comments Thanks, Fran - I'll definitely keep that in mind when December rolls around - and in the future!

message 18: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Thanks, Fran - I'll definitely keep that in mind when December rolls around - and in the future!"

I forgot you are doing Dec PIFM- I am going to PM you now...

message 19: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (Lacy_Stewart) | 1808 comments I'm available for the June monthly.

message 20: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Lacy wrote: "I'm available for the June monthly."

Thanks Lacy!

message 21: by Nikita (new)

Nikita | 500 comments Hi Fran
I've never hosted before but i'm willing to try the august monthly

message 22: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Nikita wrote: "Hi Fran
I've never hosted before but i'm willing to try the august monthly"

Great Nikita, happy to have you :)

message 23: by Breann (new)

Breann | 2362 comments I've never hosted a challenge either but sounds fun! I can do the May monthly and the June PIFM.

message 24: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13816 comments Woohoo - new host blood!!!

Thanks Nikita and Breann... :)

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments now Jane, be nice!!

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13816 comments LOL - I can't decide if I sounded like a vampire or mosquito!

message 27: by Breann (new)

Breann | 2362 comments Dee wrote: "now Jane, be nice!!"

LOL! The PIFM looks a little daunting but it'll be during the summer so I should be okay.

message 28: by Breann (new)

Breann | 2362 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "LOL - I can't decide if I sounded like a vampire or mosquito!"

I would go with vampire. Vampires are sexy. ;)

message 29: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Breann wrote: "I've never hosted a challenge either but sounds fun! I can do the May monthly and the June PIFM."

Thanks Breann and welcome aboard! Yes, fresh blood indeed....

message 30: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Vi, I gave you the April PIFM too.

Karen and MountainKat, do either or both of you want another PIFM?

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Nicola wrote: "Hi Fran,
Just responded in the wrong thread, but I am willing to do a mothly or two. July and August are my first choices, but as long as I avoid February and June (report card writing) I am pret..."

Nicola,
Do you want a PIFM too or just the monthly?

message 32: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 644 comments Careful guys - you are going to scare them off before anyone can draw the first pint! Remember, reel them into security first...

message 33: by Nicola (last edited Sep 25, 2012 07:05PM) (new)

Nicola | 644 comments Still haven't tried the PIFM. I'll do two monthly challenges but can not add new challenges to my list right now.

message 34: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 8913 comments I would love to host another PIFM, I'd like a monthly too!

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments MountainKat wrote: "I would love to host another PIFM, I'd like a monthly too!"

Done :)

message 36: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Sep 25, 2012 07:54PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 4187 comments Fran wrote: "Vi, I gave you the April PIFM too.

Karen and MountainKat, do either or both of you want another PIFM?"

Sure, Fran, you can put me down for a PIFM. I'll look forward to it!

message 37: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Thanks, Fran!

Welcome, Breann & Nikita! It's just the start.. :P

message 38: by Breann (new)

Breann | 2362 comments Thanks Vi! I'm already excited about it, sounds fun. I'm sure it's just the beginning... :)

message 39: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 4187 comments Breann wrote: "Thanks Vi! I'm already excited about it, sounds fun. I'm sure it's just the beginning... :)"

Oh, yes...they suck you in and you can't escape - not that you'll want to! :D

message 40: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13816 comments LOL! The ever-fertile brains in this group require more and more challenges, so we need all the help we can get ;)

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 26, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Hi fran! I would love to host the december monthly challenge ! Though its actually a loooong time away lol!

But by then all my exams will be ova so will be free :)

message 42: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2579 comments Hey Fran,

Just saw this, I would love to host one of the monthly challenges if you have any left at this point, or any other challenge that might need a host.

message 43: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13816 comments There will always be more challenges to host in amongst these monthly ones - like the quarterlies and some more topic-specific ones etc.

We may well have another challenge looking for a host-home in the near future, but we just have to check it out with the original nominator :)

message 44: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Hina wrote: "Hey Fran,

Just saw this, I would love to host one of the monthly challenges if you have any left at this point, or any other challenge that might need a host.

Great Hina!

Would you be interested in a PIFM as well as a monthly?

message 45: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Karen wrote: "Hi fran! I would love to host the december monthly challenge ! Though its actually a loooong time away lol!

But by then all my exams will be ova so will be free :)"

Thanks Karen! December is all yours :)

message 46: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2579 comments Sure Fran!! I haven't actively participated in PIFM for a while now. But I have done them before.

message 47: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9289 comments Hina wrote: "Sure Fran!! I haven't actively participated in PIFM for a while now. But I have done them before."

Yay! I gave you August PIFM and October Monthly.

message 48: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2579 comments Awesome Fran!! If you need anything else covered, let me know.

message 49: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 644 comments Do you want me to continue with updating the monthly challenges next year? I know I fell apart for August, but have caught up and hope I will not do that again- sorry!!

message 50: by Breann (new)

Breann | 2362 comments Hina wrote: "Awesome Fran!! If you need anything else covered, let me know."

Same here! :)

« previous 1 3