The Sword and Laser discussion

The Farseer Trilogy (Farseer Trilogy #1-3)
This topic is about The Farseer Trilogy
2012 Reads > AA: (SPOILERS from the first two books!)would you read on knowing the end?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus Treat this as a hypothetical;

You have read the first and second books of the farseer trilogy and have noticed they have both had (view spoiler)

You are a firm beleiver in happy endings, that life itself is far to harsh on people to have their form of escape disapoint and confirm the hideous entrails of the word.

You have been told the end of assasins quests is (view spoiler)

Would you continue to read, or would you perhaps put in down to read say... enders game or game of thrones or Call of cthullu?

message 2: by Kamil (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:00AM) (new)

Kamil | 372 comments game of thrones and happy ending? your question makes no sense. I hardly believe anyone, that would reject the farseer's trilogy because of the bad ending, would want to read a song of ice and fire

message 3: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments I don't usually equate a good or bad ending with "happy" or "depressing." I didn't find the ending of Assassins quest depressing. It was multifaceted. Whether the ending was happy or sad totally depends on who's viewpoint you are taking.

Probably an example of an ending I really like would be the First Law Trilogy which is almost impossible to define in terms of happy or sad or depressing. It was unexpected but at the same time believable - that made for a good ending. Assassins quest's ending was likewise believable, but probably not so unexpected - we already know Hobb isn't one for "nice" happily ever after endings. I liked it. And I liked in particular (view spoiler)

message 4: by Marz (new)

Marz | 39 comments David Sven wrote: "I don't usually equate a good or bad ending with "happy" or "depressing." I didn't find the ending of Assassins quest depressing. It was multifaceted. Whether the ending was happy or sad totally de..."

I loved when (view spoiler)

message 5: by Rhenus (last edited Sep 27, 2012 05:25AM) (new)

Rhenus Kamil wrote: "game of thrones and happy ending? your question makes no sense. I hardly believe anyone, that would reject the farseer's trilogy because of the bad ending, would want to read a song of ice and fire"

I wasn't aware that song of ice and fire had an unpleasant ending.

spoiler!

message 6: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Samurisloth wrote: "Kamil wrote: "game of thrones and happy ending? your question makes no sense. I hardly believe anyone, that would reject the farseer's trilogy because of the bad ending, would want to read a song o..."

i never said it does but for sure there isn't a HEA ending

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 122 comments Samurisloth wrote: "Treat this as a hypothetical;

You have read the first and second books of the farseer trilogy and have noticed they have both had [spoilers removed]

You are a firm beleiver in happy endings, that..."

Not having read any of these books, I can't comment on them, However I have read some other books, and during the read I found through my own stupidity how the book ended. I continued reading it because I felt it would have been silly not to. However it did spoil it for me, and when I got to the point where the spoiled section came, the impact was not half as effective as it would have been if I hadn't have spoiled it for myself.

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsattack) | 4 comments I actually prefer when the ending isn't so happy and tied up with a bow. It's not realistic. I LOVED these books, and whether they were depressing or not (they totally were), they still affected me emotionally and I enjoyed them!

message 9: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus Kamil wrote: "i never said it does but for sure there isn't a HEA ending"

I don’t really want a happily ever after ending... I’m not a 5 year old.

I just think there are less dark ways to end a book; Hobb seems to use the carrot and stick method without the carrot, forever dangling the chance things will get better for Fitz to make us read on, but never delivering.

I would prefer a Hyperion style cliff hanger rather than (view spoiler) when you think it cant possibly get worse it does its like watching "it's a wonderful life" up until Geroge Baily throws himself into the ice river.

having said that I love, the books, I doubt they could have been written any better, but i think after assassin’s quest I'll be moving onto something a little cheerier.