Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod
❀Abbi and Megan❀ Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished with the first part, can't wait to discuss! :D

Abbi Just finished! I'm absolutely loving this book! This author just keeps getting better!

I am loving Bane in this book! He is so incorrigible and it's hysterical! I love how he rearranges things on Lydia's desk without her catching him! I also find it funny how he constantly taunts the Professor with poppies.

Lydia is also a great character! I felt so bad for her at the beginning losing her family and literally not being able to understand what was going on!

message 4: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I liking so much more than I thought I would! I completely agree with you, Camden's books keep getting better! I think if this one continues to be as enjoyable as it is right now it will become a favorite.

Bane has changed so much in the ten years since we last saw him, but he's still him - if you know what I mean. All the good things about him are still there, along with quite a few more good characteristics - I am just loving him! I LOVE how he constantly has to mess with the things on Lydia's desk, especially since she knows it's him and watches him to make sure he doesn't do it again and then he still does - it's SO hilarious!

Now that I knowing the full story behind Bane's abduction, all I can say is...WOW! How horrible and heart-wrenching that must have been for his mother! I wonder if she is still alive? If she is maybe Bane will somehow meet her again - that would be wonderful!

I agree, Lydia is a wonderful character! It was horrible for her to lose her family like that, but I was thankful she had Mr. Bennett to fight for her to stay in the country - who knows what would have happened to her had she been deported!

I loved how Lydia held her ground and didn't take less money when Bane offered her that first translating job.

Who do you think the Professor is planning on kidnapping? One of the Admiral's children or Lydia? At first I was thinking it was going to be Jack, but now, after their outing together, I'm thinking it will be Lydia.

I laughed when I learned what Bane and the Admiral's fight was concerning! I thought it was going to be something really terrible and here it's just that - too funny! I do wonder though if there was a bit more to it than Bane told Lydia, for the Admiral to get that upset about it. What do you think?

Mrs. Brandenberg - UGH! She seems like such a greedy and selfish person! How completely uncaring and horrible she was to try to evict Lydia without even telling her. Thankfully Lydia had Big John to tell her about it! If he wouldn't have told her it would have been so terrible! She would have come home and found all her things outside - if they were even still there! I was SO glad and relieved when the Admiral came there and made Mrs. Brandenberg honor her agreement!

Do you think the translating jobs Bane was having Lydia do were legitimate? I'm not sure I believed his explanation for the things he brought her to translate, especially when he brought her a menu - come on! I would think he would know a menu from a cargo list or a tax form! I think he did have some real things he wanted translated, but also wanted to help her out financially so he would have her translate things he knew were probably not important just to help her out.

Abbi Haha that was one long comment! :)

I totally agree about Bane changing but still being him! He is such a fun character and you can't help but smile at him!

That would have been HORRIBLE for his mother! I too was wondering if his mother will show up later in the story. I think it would be awesome!

Mr. Bennett was great! I loved how he watched out for Lydia from her first day at school till the end!

I loved her standing her ground too! She is such a perfect match for Bane!

I don't think the professor knows who he wants to kidnap yet since he told the man to find what he loves. But I do think it will be Lydia and I think that will be what makes Bane realize that he can't just walk away from her!

I laughed out loud upon discovering the cause of the fight! I was worried too! I think part of the reason for The Admiral getting upset other than just marrying Lydia was the whole situation of leaving the navy and all that.

Mrs. Brandenberg was horrible! I loved when the Admiral rode in on his horse and took charge!

I think they were legitimate jobs. He seemed to be being pretty honest with her about all the other things that I doubt he'd lie about that. Also with the menu-when they were searching in the offices there were food items mentioned and Bane dismiss the one since opium wouldn't be shipped with olive oil so the menu could be helpful in some way.

I thought it was funny that Lydia hadn't seen a farm or a cow before and I loved how Bane took her to one especially the part when the cow scared her!

message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, I know - sorry about that! After I hit post I saw how long it was and was surprised!

I just noticed that I missed the part where you mentioned the Poppy plants! It's hysterical the way he keeps bombarding the Professor with them! I wish Bane could have seen the look on the Professor's face when those Poppy bulbs he planted bloomed!

You are probably right, he has been honest with her about everything else so they all were probably real jobs.

That part was HILARIOUS! How could any one be scared of a cow? A bull I could see, but a cow!?! Too funny! I loved the part right after this, when Bane kisses Lydia and then she says "I don't want the admiral. I want you." I loved how honest she was with him. I have read some books, in fact I just finished one, where the the two main people withheld their feelings from one another because they were too afraid of rejection. So this was a breath of fresh air.

The Admiral's wife sounded like such a wonderful woman! Bane was really fortunate to have run into her when he did, I think this was a perfect picture of how God brings people into our lives when we least expect it. I wonder what happened to her. It sounded like she might have been murdered, or did I read that wrong?

Bane definitely knows how to manipulate people into doing what he wants. I was wondering how he got people to do things his way and the way he handled Telenbaugh answered that - though his confidence with dealing with men that are so much bigger than him is astounding! I was curious as to why he didn't want that bridge built. I had a feeling it had something to do with the Professor, but wasn't sure what. I was glad that the reason was given, it would have bugged me a little otherwise.

Bane's concern when he found that bottle in Lydia's bag was endearing! I knew when he mentioned in the restaurant about how pharmacists would mixed opium in syrups that they would then sell for children, that the medicine she was buying was going to have that in it. It's hard to believe people used to do that, how they could have so little concern for children I can't understand!

message 7: by Abbi (last edited Dec 02, 2012 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi It would have been funny if he could have seen the professor's face then!

I loved her honesty too! It's kinda aggravating when the situation that you mentioned happens! I have been known to actually yell at the characters about that!

Rachel Fontaine did sound pretty awesome! And you're right that is a great picture of how God orchestrates things! I think it sounds like she was murdered to "another weapon to use against the hydra-headed beast that killed Rachel" (pg68)

Yeah it was interesting to watch how he works! And his confidence is astounding and I like how he knows how to keep his cool. It was neat to see how he taught himself that! I guess that his not wanting the bridge built was about the professor and the opium trade but I was glad that they did tell us what was the reason!

That was endearing! I didn't even think it through when he mentioned it at the restaurant but I figured her medicine would come into play somehow since they kept mentioning it!

I also like how Lydia's co-workers banter with each other about the superiority of their country!

message 8: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Dec 02, 2012 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, their bantering is too funny - I just loved it!

I loved the line (p.67) where Bane is criticizing the chief's desire to celebrate his 12th anniversary with his wife and Eric's response to him. I think pretty soon we'll see him change his tune ;)

Abbi Haha that is funny!

Sorry I took so long to respond your comment didn't show up when I refreshed the page the first time!

So anything else you want to discuss?

message 10: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nope, I can't think of anything else. So, when do you want to discuss the next part?

message 11: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi When's good for you? I can pretty much do whenever!

message 12: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have to finish a couple books for review, but at the same time I really want to keep reading this book! So, how about we try for Tuesday or Wednesday?

message 13: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Sounds good!

message 14: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Just finished so I'm ready when you are! Can't wait to discuss this section and read the next!

message 15: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished the next part - WOW! I know what you mean, I want to read the rest right now - this book is SO good! Sorry I didn't get it done sooner!

Okay, the reason behind Rachel's death was not what I was expecting at all! I had thought she was murdered, but I understand why Bane feels responsible for her death - though I think he is being too hard on himself. Even he said had he been there he would have let her take the opium, so it wouldn't have made a difference.

Lydia's addiction is surprising, considering she said she only used it once in a while, but I think it shows how addicting that drug was and how someone could become an addict even from mild use. No wonder they wanted to outlaw it!

I hate that Jack got kidnapped, and what a way from the professor to tell the Admiral! And I guess in a way we we're both right with who the professor was going to take. Even though Lydia wasn't kidnapped she put herself there and now in a way she is a prisoner.

message 16: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Yeah I totally did not guess the cause of Rachel's death! What a horrible way to die. Bane is being hard on himself but that's just the way he operates and being who he is I can totally see how he feels he's to blame!

I was surprised at Lydia's addiction too. I'm slightly annoyed at how she's refusing to admit it even though she knows what it is.

Yeah the more I thought about who the professor would kidnap I started to realize that it would be Jack since he has always kidnapped little boys. I still hated it though!

I got really caught up emotionally with Lydia during this section! First losing Bane, then her job, and the apartment! I actually cried! It was so horrible and the author did an amazing job portraying it!

I liked how her coworkers treated her after she was fired! They were so sweet!

The professor is such an interesting villain! He's not so scary on the outside but his mind and the power he wields are absolutely terrifying! I fell so bad for Lydia but I'm proud of her for being brave enough!

message 17: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I felt really bad for her, I understood why the Admiral fired her but it was still terrible! I agree with you, the author did a fantastic job! I think she just keeps getting better and better, makes me really want to read her next book, Into the Whirlwind , when it comes out next year :D Also, I don't know if this is a Bethany House thing or what, but all of Camden's covers are just gorgeous - don't you think?

I loved her coworkers from the beginning, but the way they treated her afterward endeared them even to me. I think the way the all treat her like family is SO sweet!

He is, isn't he! He's so devious and cunning, and knows how do avoid detection very well which makes him terrifying! I thought for sure when the Professor insisted on her accompanying him right away that she would somehow tip her hand, the way she kept trying to think of excuses to stay in the city, and then she would be kidnapped or worse murdered! But I agree she is very brave, I don't know if I could have even met with him knowing who he was and all that he's capable of doing! *shiver*

It was pretty quick thinking on her part telling the Professor that she needed to make a working copy, and then getting the one guard to let her go past the fence! I just hope that Bane will be there soon to give her the book she needs!

I liked the reference to The Lady of Bolton Hill ! However, when Bane mention the Christian Crusade I thought that those characters might make an appearance in this book, but now I don't they will which is a little sad.

message 18: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I'm excited for Into the Whirlwind as well! And yes these covers are gorgeous!

Yeah I definitely would not have the guts to meet with him! And I thought he would find her out then too!

That was genius of her since it bought her time and won points with the professor! I really hope Bane finds a way to get her the book!

Yeah.

I found it interesting how Lydia jumped into getting the "medicine" banned from the orphanage-which I admire-but still refuses to give it up herself!

message 19: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry for taking so long to reply back! I had to finish a book for a team challenge, I have been trying to read it all week but it was SO boring I kept putting it aside. I am SO glad to be done with it!

I think that just shows how addicting it is. Reading about her problem with it reminds me of other people, who backed a cause like this, and makes it more understandable how they could have had a similar problem and still been completely against it. I think Lydia has the right intentions, but doesn't have the strength yet to give it up on her own.

I loved how Lydia stood up to Mrs. Rokotov! It was kind of amazing when she cowered to Lydia - I just loved it!

message 20: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi No worries! I was pretty busy yesterday anyway so I wouldn't have had much chance to respond! I hate books like that! I sorry for you but glad you are done with it!

I agree with you!

That was an awesome part! And pretty quick thinking for Lydia!

I loved how easily Lydia and Bane slipped back into their banter!

message 21: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love that too! I think they are just perfect for each other!

Well, I'm out of things to discuss. How about you?

message 22: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Me too! Sorry the email didn't come again and I was so busy yesterday I forgot to check!
When do you want to discuss?

message 23: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi wrote: "Me too! Sorry the email didn't come again and I was so busy yesterday I forgot to check!
When do you want to discuss?"

How about Monday?

message 24: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Sounds good!

message 25: by Abbi (last edited Dec 08, 2012 10:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Ok I went to read a bit of this before bed and couldn't put it down! So I'm finished already but no rush just thought I'd let you know!

And another thing-I'm reading From A Distance by Tamera Alexander and the heroine has a breathing problem and she takes Mrs. Winslow's Soothing syrup to help it! So weird that it was in two books I was reading at the same time. Though know how bad it was from AtT makes me wary of it in this book!

message 26: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished! This book was amazing and is now my favorite book of Camden's! I really can't wait to read her next one, as it seems they just keep getting better and better!

Wow! I don't ever remember hearing about this stuff before, so what are the odds of this being in two books that you read one after the other? All I can say is WOW!

Bane made me laugh so much in this last section! I also loved how we got to see an even more compassionate and sweet side to him.

The scene when Eric is asking Lydia to come back and work for him again made me laugh, the part about her former colleagues making his life miserable. Jacob's humming - HILARIOUS! And Willis sweetening the whole teapot! I just love these guys! They are so loyal to her. They seem like the kind of men you would love to know and have on your side.

message 27: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi This is my favorite too! If she keeps going like this the next one is gonna be off the charts!

I know! It was pretty shocking to me too!

Bane was great! I think I was grinning like a baboon for pretty much the whole section!

Oh my goodness that scene was awesome! I laughed so hard at all the things the guys were doing to Eric! And I loved how Lydia told him he'd just have to deal with it!

Their plan of getting the boys out was genius and so well executed! I was shocked when Lydia decided to stay! I would definitely not have the guts for that especially going through withdrawal at the same time! And speaking of the withdrawal-that was awful! I loved how everyone rallied around her and didn't look down on her for it. Bane was especially sweet!

I couldn't believe the boys burned the book! I was so afraid something bad would happen from that but I was so happy when the servants successfully kept it from the professor!

message 28: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Dec 09, 2012 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry for taking awhile to respond, it didn't show up on my notifications!

The plan was genius and I too was shocked that Lydia chose to stay! I thought something terrible was going to happened to her, like the professor returning and taking her somewhere else and trying to kill her. And those things might have happened had Bane not rescued her. Wow! I loved the rescue scene! When Bane is coming down the stairs carrying Lydia and Mrs. Garfield tries to prevent him. He was so heroic!

The scene where the professor gets arrested was just brilliant! How everyone in that particular car was part of the Secret Service and that all his beloved books never left the depot - oh, I was just smiling through that whole scene! I was so glad he was finally getting what he deserved! I especially loved the part when Eric tells him that his books are going to the Library of Congress and how depressed that made him - perfect! I just loved it!

message 29: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi No worries! I was finishing another book so it was perfect!

Yeah the rescue was awesome! I too thought something awful was gonna happen to Lydia but I guess the withdrawal was horrendous enough! I loved how Bane took the time to say those things to Mrs. Garfield and his plan to distract the servants was brilliant!

I loved that scene too! It was completely brilliant and I was grinning too.

I loved how Bane and Lydia knew exactly where to find each other in the woods, those scenes were so cool and I will admit I melted! And it was such perfect timing for him to show up with the translation book!

message 30: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi wrote: "I couldn't believe the boys burned the book! I was so afraid something bad would happen from that but I was so happy when the servants successfully kept it from the professor! "
Just realized I missed responding to this part! I was SO concerned for them too! I was really surprised when the servants decided to cover it up, but was really glad it was successful!

Yes, I loved that scene too - though thinking about it I can't think of a scene I didn't love! I thought it was neat that he knew exactly which direction to wait. I wonder though if he was waiting for a full moon, or if that was the soonest he could get there.

I laugh out loud on page 318 when Lydia is thinking that Eric's mother looks a lot like Queen Victoria and then she introduces herself as Victoria Fontaine! Too funny!

I loved the scene when Bane tells Eric that Lydia is the one he has inside the professor's house, especially this line from Bane "Lydia's backbone is pure steel".

It was so cool how Lydia discovered about the professor's other house. I never expected her knowing other languages would help with something of this magnitude! I thought this part was well written, the argument in Russian then Boris's transition to English - had she not known what they were saying she might not have suspected a thing!

message 31: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I agree that it's hard to find a part that wasn't amazing!

I laughed at that too!

That was a great scene and line! I love how much confidence Bane has in Lydia!

Yeah it was awesome how she discover the other house and that part was extremely well written!

I loved how the boys found her! And their way of passing notes was cool too! I have always wanted to pass notes through books-it just sounds so cool!

message 32: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

It does sound like a lot of fun! I also always thought it would be fun to send secret messages with a book code, where both people have the same exact book and use it to send messages - I just never have had a reason to do this.

I loved the proposal scene and all their bantering during it. I especially loved how instead of saying yes, Lydia says:
"I suppose we should get married just so we can make each other miserable."
And then Bane's reply was SO romantic!
" Lydia, I want us to be married because you are the other half to my soul, I never felt complete until I join forces with you. Now I can't imagine a life without you in it." *sigh*

message 33: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I thought that too! If only we had good reasons to need them! But I guess those situations are normally bad so maybe I shouldn't wish for them!

The proposal/banter was awesome! And I absolutely loved those two quotes as well!

I also liked the fact that they moved into Lydia's apartment!

Well I can't think of anything else-you?

message 34: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Dec 09, 2012 10:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

That was cool how they moved back into her old apartment! When I read that part it totally didn't register that it was the apartment that she lost!

Nope, I can't think of anything else either. So, which book do you want to read next? Whoops! I got confused! We only have one book left don't we? SO, how do you want to split it up?

message 35: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Do you still want to read Wedding Belles or do you want to pick a different one?

message 36: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I would still like to read Wedding Belles. Sorry, I got confused! For some reason I thought we had two books left - duh!

How would you like to split it up?

message 37: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi :D Well it looks to be a fast read so how about halves? It would be reading the first 11 chapters than the rest! Does that sound good? When do you want to discuss?

message 38: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

That sounds good. Want to try for Tuesday?

message 39: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Sure! Looking forward to discussing!

message 40: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Me too! :D