Urban Fantasy series' discussion

Book Talk > The Casual Vacancy: To Read or Not to Read

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JP (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 787 comments Mod
I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion on this one. Will you be reading J.K. Rowling's newest book, The Casual Vacancy? The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberjy) | 2 comments No. I'm not going to read it. I'm not into books like that and when I read the word "election" in the summary, I knew I didn't want to read it.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 34 comments Nope, it didn't seem interesting to me either.

message 4: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) I'm not really interested in it, now is she started writing a series about Vampires or Faries then I might be!

message 5: by JP (new)

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 787 comments Mod
I agree.... when I can't even get through reading the description then I don't think buying the book is a good idea

message 6: by Noreen (new)

Noreen Loved the Harry Potter series but this doesn't sound interesting to me at all.

message 7: by Reggie (new)

Reggie (OriginalPuck) | 19 comments I'm not going to pick it up. It's not my preferred genre, and it just doesn't sound interesting to me at all. I'm a serious Potterhead, but I still won't read something that would bore me just because JKR wrote it.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 34 comments Jacki wrote: "I agree.... when I can't even get through reading the description then I don't think buying the book is a good idea"

Hahaha. True!

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 64 comments Same. I always thought I would read it, but then I read the description, and....I don't know. Sounds a bit boring.

message 10: by Jenika (new)

Jenika | 14 comments I think the hideous cover is even more of a deterrent than the description! I will be reading it though, but I'm not as excited as wanted to be.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 34 comments I agree. You'd think she would merit a better cover.

message 12: by K. (new)

K. | 95 comments I feel like she wants to get away from the Harry Potter world and I understand not wanting to be known for one thing for your entire life, but I cannot get excited about this book. She created so much (basically another world with it's own culture) with Potter that I can't imagine reading another of her books unless it's along those same lines.

message 13: by Juli (new)

Juli (juli_d_revezzo) Yeah, I probably won't be reading it. Unless curiosity gets the better of me later on, right now, I'm sorry to say it doesn't call to me.

message 14: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Wakeling | 15 comments Jean wrote: "I agree. You'd think she would merit a better cover."

I know! I thought this was a clever marketing scheme - create a bad cover, have everyone say how bad it is for publicity, then produce an awesome cover nearer launch. Seems I was wrong.

message 15: by K. (new)

K. | 95 comments All the reviews have been just horrible for this book. Has anyone read it and liked it??

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire I will definitely be reading it, even though I haven't heard the best of reviews...I have to give it a shot! :)

message 17: by Ela (new)

Ela I'll probably read it eventually just to see if the writing is at all similar to Harry Potter, but I'm not desperate to read it :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It's funny because even though I write reviews, I don't read them until after I read the book. There were a lot of negative written because say the price was too high. Although that stinks that is a silly reason to give a book a bad rating. I'm not clamoring to get it but will probably give it a shot one day.

message 19: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Curiosity might lead me to read this book eventually. I know Rowling wanted to get away from Harry Potter, but she could've atleast stuck with a fantasy genre book, I would have gladly read that.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I will probably read it when the mood strikes but not sure when that will be.

message 21: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 4 comments I'm not interested. My daughter couldn't get through it, and she's an avid reader of multiple disciplines. I'm with Kimberly, no "election" reading for me.

message 22: by Stephanee (new)

Stephanee | 40 comments Jacki wrote: "I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion on this one. Will you be reading J.K. Rowling's newest book, The Casual Vacancy?The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling"
I listened to this on Audio. I am still a little confused as to if I really liked it or not. It took a couple of days to and from work before I finally got in to it. I guess I had a love hate with it, I liked it, but there were areas in the book that were WTF a lot. All and all it really was a sad story, but the reader kept me engaged. I don't think I would have made it through reading the book though....

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Im a Harry Potter diehard and It hurts me to use the word 'boring' in conjunction with Rowling's writing but tbh it pretty much sums this book up! 150 pages in and it still felt like I was meeting and greeting characters. I didn't find it in any way engaging and I thought the writing very impersonal. I didn't finish the book! If you like mundane, rather dull reads then this book is for you! If not then stay well away! Sorry JK but it's true :(