Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows question

What would me the consequences if Neville Longbottom was the chosen one
Aamir K. Aamir Sep 24, 2012 03:26PM
Hey guys i just thought i would like to hear some ideas about what might've happened if neville was the chosen one and harry was just one backround character

deleted member Sep 24, 2012 03:26PM   2 votes
Well, his parents would probably be dead, not just mental. Harry would be a normal kid, have sibblings (maybe) have a normal, rich kid childhood, he might even be friends with malfoy, anythings possible

Jannie Huang Agreed, but the Malfoy thing is untrue to me.
Nov 10, 2012 04:55PM

Gretchen (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:30PM ) Sep 24, 2012 05:24PM   2 votes
Neville would not have had the same upbringing (as Harry did living with his non-magical aunt) as his family were all magical. Whether dead or as it was deranged he was raised by his grandmother. There would not have been relatives on the outside world to care for him. He would have grown up knowing who and what he was. There would be no shock of reality for him.

As far as Harry goes he probably would have been just like Ron. A happy simple family with possibly some siblings. He would be loyal to the Order of the Phoenix like his parents and in no way would be friends with Malfoy as he would have grown up knowing what his (Malfoy's)family did.

How the end would have resulted, who knows. I am sure he would have simply been a support to Neville as Neville had been to him.

I agree with a lot of previous posters - Neville would have grown up knowing he was "the boy that lived" I imagine his entire character would have changed... and tbh I don't think he would have been able to defeat Voldemort.

The things Harry went through with the Dursleys was terrible but it taught him to be resilient, something which I think helped with Voldemort. Harry had to know how to do things on his own (not that I think everything he did was right), whereas if he (or Neville) had grown up knowing that he killed the greatest Dark Lord to ever live I doubt that either of the Chosen Ones would be so successful.

You need to read the last book to see what happens to Neville and Harry.

To be honest, I think the only difference would be that Neville would no longer be alive. It sais in the book that Voldemort was planning on taking out both of the boys, just in case, but that he went for Harry first. The reason why Harry did become the chosen one was that, after Snape's plea, Lily got the chance to step aside and save herself, but refused. No one in Neville's family would have gotten this chance, thus he would not be shielded the way Harry was. Therefore, he would have been murdered along with his family, and Voldemort would have gone for Harry after.

It makes me sad to think of Harry getting the childhood he should have had, and for poor Neville as well if he got the worse end of the stick...

deleted member Oct 20, 2012 02:12PM   0 votes
It could never of happened because Neville Longbottom and the Philosophers Stone just doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

Angeline Joseph haha! Right on!
Oct 20, 2012 10:09PM · flag