Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Marieke Nijkamp
This topic is about Marieke Nijkamp
Book Issues > Removing a Book from Database

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32691 comments Mod
Darci wrote: "Second question: the book is up twice, but I only manually added it once... why did it duplicate?"

Another user had added it as well. I merged the two editions.

Considering that the author has claimed her author profile based on this book alone, I don't think it should be deleted. I did make the pub date 2013, so it is clear it is in the future.

message 2: by Marieke (new)

Marieke (mariekeyn) | 8 comments Thanks so much for answering, and the help, Darci! I'm traveling so I have very limited internet access. However, I don't mind foregoing author status, if that means you can delete the book for me? At this point, it's simply a manuscript and I'd rather not give off a confusing message by having it on here when it really has no status yet. Thanks ever so much :-)

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Darci wrote: "Can she change the publication date herself if it is NOT published by 2013?"

Sure. I can make it 2014 (or 2020!) if that's better.

Once a book has been added by multiple users, we really prefer not to delete it unless its publication has been completely cancelled.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That's not a cancelled book. The book record pretty clearly indicates that it has not yet been published.

message 5: by Marieke (new)

Marieke (mariekeyn) | 8 comments But cancelled would imply there was a publication record to begin with. Having it up on a library site implies there was a publication record to begin with. There isn't. At this point in time, it has no status whatsoever. It's personal and while I certainly hope that one day it will be published that doesn't give it that status yet.

To put it bluntly, it should never have appeared here (for all that I appreciate the users who added it). I requested to be recognized as its author because I thought that would make it easier for me to delete this story. So while I understand you need to be cautious with deleting books from the database, this is a personal document above all. *Please* delete it.

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara | 11 comments Marieke wrote: "But cancelled would imply there was a publication record to begin with. Having it up on a library site implies there was a publication record to begin with. There isn't. At this point in time, it h..."

Given the situation, we have decided to remove the book.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_b...

Your author status had to be revoked to do so.

message 7: by Marieke (new)

Marieke (mariekeyn) | 8 comments Thank you! :)