The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge discussion

Ulysses
This topic is about Ulysses
100 Best Novels - Discussion > Ulysses - James Joyce

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shawn (sounix) | 133 comments Mod
In some fierce voting, Ulysses book won the nomination for October 2012.

I read this book a few months ago. I found it quite enjoyable. I've been a little lax in keeping up with the group but as this one I've already read I'll discuss it.

How is everyone liking the flow of the text? It takes some getting used to, reading the stream of consciousness.

Hopefully you're all enjoying the book! Does anyone think that it warrants another month or should we move onto the next selection?

Marylu Sanok | 19 comments Shawn wrote: "Hopefully you're all enjoying the book! Does anyone think that it warrants another month or should we move onto the next selection?"

Just my own opinion, which I don't often share here, it took me three months to read this book. I had to keep going back to be sure that I was on track. As you stated, it is like a stream of consciousness that the author is sharing.

It it, however, the basis of many of the stories and myths we have come to know.

Dave (dtheurer) | 12 comments I have just finished the section about Mr Blooms fried kidney breakfast and subsequent trip to the outhouse. This is my third attempt at reading and it seems to be easier to follow the stream of consciousness. It may be because I was able to get through Finnegan's Wake so anything seems clear and lucid after reading that.

Good points, guys-- let's give it at least another month then.

Marylu-- Please do share your opinions! Hopefully we'll get some good discussions.

Dave (aircontrol) | 12 comments While not currently reading Ulysses, I do remember it being one of the most difficult to read. It was more like a study than a read and I used spark notes to confirm my own bewildered analysis after each episode. I tried to follow the parallel to The Odyssey also. (fortunately I had also read that). I'm sure that by reading it again it would open up a whole different perspective, however, I'm sure I could never motivate myself enough to do a re-read. I would definitely consider it to be a multi-month read, even for the most avid.

message 9: by Curtis (new) - added it

Curtis | 2 comments I've found that reading side by side with, "Ulysses Annotated" by Don Gifford has made for a much more enjoyable experience. Joyce himself was quoted regarding Ulysses, "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy arguing for centuries over what I meant"

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) Curtis wrote: "I've found that reading side by side with, "Ulysses Annotated" by Don Gifford has made for a much more enjoyable experience. Joyce himself was quoted regarding Ulysses, "I've put in so many enigma..."
So was he toying with the professors?