101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

our group and introductions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristyn (last edited Sep 23, 2012 10:34PM) (new)

Kristyn (kristyn007) Just a quick bit of info and an introduction.

Me and Catherine worked at Borders together for years and every summer we had to deal with the kids who was doing summer reads. They would try every thing to get out of it. They asked if we sold the movie or cliffs-notes. I have to admit, we made fun of these kids. But, we when we were in school we were one of the few kids who did not have to read any school reads. Crazy cause we grew up on opposite sides of the US. Borders closed down and we no longer have to deal with the hectic days of crazy parents and last minute school read shopping. We do miss it!! We stayed friends and still discuss books constantly!

We read stuff that is so different than the summer read classics. I read paranormal series and Urban fantasy as does Catherine. She also has a weakness for Janet Evanovich. A couple of months ago she came to me and said that someone she knows is in a book club where they are working through this list. Where the list actually came from or who decided these books are the ones that just HAVE to be read before one dies, I don't know. So, we decided to do it too.

So, in August we made this group and picked our books which we wanted to read for September and got started. 1984 was almost the death of us! We did not like it and I know I had second thoughts about doing this. Where are the epic romances? The die for the ones you love? The werewolf, vamp feud? the action packed bad ass (or slightly awkward) lead female characters that we love so much? Its sure not in these books! We are going to do this though and we hope whoever joins will do this with us!

That is our story! What is yours??

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  | 285 comments I recently joined goodreads.

I love to read and have loved to read for as long as I can remember. In recent years, however, I read mostly non-fiction and found that I had strayed from my first love which is fiction. There are many books that I want to read in my lifetime and about a year ago, I stopped and considered how much I was missing out on. So I began to read fiction once again.

There are some great books on this list. I have already read some of them and look forward to reading the rest.

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Crook :-) Kristyn is right, I adore Janet Evanovich!!! My favorie author growing up was Mark Twain, I was obsessed to say the least. With 3 kids - one of my main goals is to ensure they love reading. If they don't - at least they will be able to get through school required reading. I can't very well lecture about being able to get through them without the Cliffs Notes or movie if I can't. LOL, I do miss Borders daily. The smell of new books, the excitement of Laydown Tuesdays and having conversations with fellow booknerds. I did fall asleep several times trying to read 1984, but found Lord of the Flies a lot easier. And the upcoming, And Then There Were None - I am downright excited for. I look forward to hearing everyones take on the books, and having our little Goodreads Family of Booknerds. I still love YA fiction - Stargirl and Perks of Being a Wallflower types, but I am a sucker for Paranormal Romance, and have recently... dare I say, found myself reading Historical Romance. :-) Haha, I have! Happy Reading Y'all!!!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  | 285 comments The Agatha Christie is an awesome pick. I ordered my copy from Amazon last night and it should be here by Monday. Can't wait.

message 5: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
Hi all! Jennifer just invited me and while I'm finding myself with less and less time to read (and way too many groups to be a part of) there are some great books on that list so if I can prioritize and get the GOOD ones done, I think I'll be very happy with my progress.

I was one of those kids with the summer reads, but I didn't mind most of them, because I like to read anyway, but they always seemed to make us read books that WEREN'T classics or books I considered worthwhile and that was my struggle (especially in college...I don't know WHO picked out those freshmen reads, but they were awful!). Looking forward to some good discussions with you!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandamullins) I'm Amanda, was invited a little while ago by Alana :) It's taken me until now to get involved because I have a crazy life right now, I just had a baby a month ago. So I'll be participating as much as I can, but not as much as I'd like, ha! I love to read, almost any genre, and have been wanting to read the top 100 classics for some time. I think I have about half knocked out, but not as many of the children's ones. I look forward to being able to discuss them with you all :)

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee Congrats on you new arrival Amanda! Hope you're able to get some sleep with that little one around :)

message 8: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
Amanda, welcome! Glad you're getting back some energy after having the baby, I hope life's getting into a bit of a normal routine again. I don't know if ours are the top 100 classics, but they are certainly 101 books that come highly recommended and it should be fun to get through them :) I, too, am looking forward to checking off those children's classics I never got to as a kid (though how on earth I skipped over them, I have no idea!)