On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Author: William Faulkner > Jule Collins Smith Museum lecture on Intruders in the Dust

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Haynes (JustinHaynes) | 7 comments On October 11th the Jule Collins Smith Museum in Auburn, Alabama will be showing the film Intruders in the Dust based on the William Faulkner novel of the same name. If you're in the area around this time you should attend. From what I understand the museum is having a lecture from one of the English professors at Ole Miss about the life of Faulkner and about his work. Seeing as he is the greatest southern writer of all time(arguments are welcome) I figured maybe a person or two may be interested.

http://jcsm.auburn.edu/calendar_jcsm/...

That is the link to the website for the museum's event calender.

message 2: by John (new)

John | 533 comments I was hoping the presentation was recorded. If so, I haven't found it even though I visited jcsm.auburn.edu.

any suggestions?

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin Haynes (JustinHaynes) | 7 comments To my knowledge it wasn't recorded. As best as I can remember the speaker gave a small forward to the film version of Flags in the Dust, nothing mind blowing. She talked about Faulkner's views on race and referenced the Nobel Prize speech of Gabriel Garcia Marquez--he said Faulkner was a kindred spirit with Latin American writers. After the film there was a small discussion about Faulkner and what kind of writer he was. Pretty interesting stuff but nothing mind blowing.

The woman who was the speaker did a good job and for the life of me I can not remember her name. I do remember she has written a book that examines racism in the Southern United States and South Africa and how it plays out in the literature of the two places. Pretty neat concept if you ask me.

message 4: by John (new)

John | 533 comments Thanks Justin. I see that amazon has the film for $10. think I'll pass on it, having read the book.