Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Authonomy: Get noticed by Harper Collins

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 71 comments Mod
I just ran across a great site: Authonomy . It is a social network where writers post their works, people read and critique them and there is a forum for talking about writers and publishing.

What's so cool about this site is it hosted by Harper Collins to find new authors for their roster.

Each month they take the top 5 rated books and send them to the editors. They have already signed 3 authors from this program and I think it is a great way to get some attention of a major publisher.

We could share each other's links here and promote one anothers books. Here is one from me:

Nyphron Rising

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikerm) | 20 comments Thanks, Robin, I will check your book out. I just came across Authonomy too and it looks like a great way for the cream to rise to the top - HarperCollins are smart to set something like this up.

My book is City of Masks.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 09, 2009 07:35AM) (new)

That is good to hear. But how does it work if you are with another publisher? I'm with Eloquent books at the moment. They are a small house.

My book is The Ring of Knowledge

message 4: by Michael, Author (new)

Michael Bialys (bialys) | 29 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "I just ran across a great site: Authonomy. It is a social network where writers post their works, people read and critique them and there is a forum for talking about writers and publishing.

Wh..."

Robin wrote: "I just ran across a great site: Authonomy. It is a social network where writers post their works, people read and critique them and there is a forum for talking about writers and publishing.

Wh..."

Hey Robin I added the first four chapters of the Sequel to the Virago--Let' see what happens! Thanks for the tip.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Meier | 26 comments Thanks for passing this on, Robin!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Russell (vigorio) | 14 comments Yeah, thanks for the update on Authonomy. I joined yesterday, uploaded some of my novel Between the Dark and the Light and have been out there getting noticed, finally.

Thanks!

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikerm) | 20 comments Folks, please, link to your book on Authonomy in your posts - the search there is terrible and I can't find your books to check them out.

message 8: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 04, 2009 04:05PM) (new)

Rebecca Russell (vigorio) | 14 comments I agree. I've had a terrible time navigating the site, much less finding books. Here's mine, thanks for asking. http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.asp... Between the Dark and the Light Vigorios for Utopia Book 1:Dragons'Defiance

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Meier | 26 comments Hey Mike! Try Shadow's Daughter from Baen Books. Sometimes Fifth Millenium series will find most of them. I'm also posting an on-line novel out of the Fifth Mill on my own blog, which should be linked here on Goodreads. But you can check out www.eclipsecourt.blogspot.com. I will have another book out from e-press in a couple of months available from Amazon.

And hard copy 'Exodus' with Steve White... also from Baen Books.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 71 comments Mod
Carl wrote: "That is good to hear. But how does it work if you are with another publisher? I'm with Eloquent books at the moment. They are a small house. "

Carl this would be for any "new" titles you have it really buys you nothing to post a current title - well some people might read it but of course HarperCollins won't sign it etc.

message 11: by Armen (new)

Armen Chakmakjian | 6 comments Robin wrote: "Carl wrote: "That is good to hear. But how does it work if you are with another publisher? I'm with Eloquent books at the moment. They are a small house. "
Carl this would be for any "new" title..."

Thanks for posting this info on Authonomy. I immediately registered there and uploaded several selected chapters. One person already contacted me to trade reading stuff.

http://www.authonomy.com/ReadBook.asp...

I read through the terms of use, and it seems they'll still review your book even if it is a current title (I assume you mean self published).

message 12: by Gwendolyn (new)

Gwendolyn (drgwen) | 36 comments What I do not like about authonomy is the sniping and rude comments that some of the 'gamesters' over there post. They think they're going to win some sort of popularity poll, even if they have to hijack 'libraries' to falsely inflate their own popularity, as if it's a 'Survivors for authors'.

I don't know yet what HarperCollins track record is on optioning electronically published books (e-books) or POD (Print on Demand) books, but lately I've noticed their optioning of self-published first works that have sold well.

In other words, show us you have viable marketability and we'll consider you.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Russell (vigorio) | 14 comments I've been posted on Authonomy for several weeks now and have gotten some great suggestions for improvements to my manuscript. I've also gotten some 'snippy' comments as you said. I just shrugged my shoulders and didn't change a thing.
Rebecca
www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?booki...