We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Not Too Challenging Challenges > October 2012's Build Your Own Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments halloween-wallpaper-BYOC 500

DURATION: October 1st through October 31st.

RULES: If it reminds you of October, it counts for this challenge.

EXAMPLE: October reminds me of Halloween so I'll read books that are scarey!

OTHER IDEAS: If you have trouble coming up with something on your own, check these out!

OCTOBER IS:

Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
American Pharmacist Month
Apple Jack Month
Awareness Month
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Clergy Appreciation Month
Computer Learning Month
Cookie Month
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Eat Country Ham Month
International Drum Month
Lupus Awareness Month
National Diabetes Month
National Pizza Month
National Vegetarian Month
National Popcorn Popping Month
Sarcastic Month
Seafood Month

THE BOTTOM LINE: If it works for you, it works for this challenge!

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:38AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments halloween-wallpaper-Participants

Lacy
Lady Danielle-----------------8/6 Done!
Laura-------------------------7/7 - - Done!
Lauren---------------------------3/3 -----done!
Lethal---------------------------------8
Miss Kate---------------------------7/8

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Dhes's BYOC

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Oct 02, 2012 07:25PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Sign me up. I'll be doing my October Scare Fest.

October Scare Fest 2012
Goal: Read six scary or horrorish, dark fantasy reads in the month of October.
Duration: October 1- October 31
Completed: X/6

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments **hee hee**

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "**hee hee**"

Is that you signing up, too? :)

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Nope. Well...maybe. We'll see. I'll let you know. It is a very good way for me to get organized.

message 8: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Nope. Well...maybe. We'll see. I'll let you know. It is a very good way for me to get organized."

Well, you signed up for the Halloween challenge and that's going to be tougher I think. Maybe doing both with so much other stuff going on will be too much.

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Could be. Only, I'm supposed to be done! Though, I'm not. **sigh**

message 10: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Glad to have you with us, Lethal!!

message 11: by Lauren (last edited Sep 30, 2012 06:58AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) As it is Halloween/Samhain in October, I will read books tagged as Witches by Goodreads.

1. Water Bound by Christine Feehan
2. Oracle's Moon by Thea Harrison
3. Possess Me at Midnight by Shayla Black

Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1) by Christine Feehan Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison Possess Me at Midnight (Doomsday Brethren, #3) by Shayla Black

message 12: by Laura (last edited Oct 26, 2012 06:22AM) (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments Count me in!

October Build Your Own Challenge- read 7 books from my TBR pile including my monthly book club selection.

0 / 7 completed

1. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
2. Anna Karenina (Parts V-VIII) by Leo Tolstoy ^

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 13: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacylaces) | 22 comments Signing up for this one:

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments So far, only "L"s participating.

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "So far, only "L"s participating."

LMBO! I wonder what that mean, Dhes!?!

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) L's RULE!!!!

message 17: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) Hehehe! My real name is Ammarylis-but that's beside the point! Long live the L's!

Laura, would you mind letting me know how The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater goes? I enjoyed Stiefvater's "Wolves of Mercy Falls" trilogy but TSR sounded too much like a poor substitute for the Hunger Games so I didn't even add it to my TBR. I'm more than likely going to read The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater for this challenge.

message 18: by Lacy (last edited Oct 01, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Lacy (lacylaces) | 22 comments My challenge is to read (and review) 10 of my TBR PNR books focused on angels, demons, werewolves, vampires etc. for October:

0/10 completed

1.Angel Fire
2.Silence
3.Wicked Nights
4.Angel of Darkness
5.Mortal Kiss
6.A Beautiful Dark
7.Warrior
8.Once Dead, Twice Shy
9.Lucca: Warriors for the Light
10.Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe)

Silence (Hush, Hush, #3) by Becca Fitzpatrick Angel Fire (Angel, #2) by L.A. Weatherly Mortal Kiss (Mortal Kiss, #1) by Alice Moss Warrior (The Fallen, #3) by Kristina Douglas A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1) by Jocelyn Davies Angel of Darkness (The Fallen, #1) by Cynthia Eden
Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1) by Kim Harrison Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1) by Gena Showalter Lucca Warriors for the Light (Fallen Angels, #2) by Karen Michelle Nutt Sucks to Be Me The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me, #1) by Kimberly Pauley

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments LethalLovely~Kiss Me Hard Before You Go wrote: "Hehehe! My real name is Ammarylis-but that's beside the point! Long live the L's!

Laura, would you mind letting me know how The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater goes? I enjoyed Stiefvater's "Wol..."

I won't be able to tell you how it compares to THG because I haven't read it, but I will let you know what I think.

message 20: by Kate (last edited Oct 02, 2012 07:53PM) (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) I want to do my own Halloween type challenge including as many costumes and scary movie monsters as possible. I want to read or listen to at least 8 books. In those books, I want to see just how many different types of creatures I can manage to include, but I must cover the following:

Vampires
Were-creatures or shape-shifters
Ghosts/Shades/Echoes of the Deceased
Faeries
Witches/Warlocks/Magical (preferably mortal) beings

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon (bookewyrm) | 18 comments LethalLovely~Kiss Me Hard Before You Go wrote: "Hehehe! My real name is Ammarylis-but that's beside the point! Long live the L's!

Laura, would you mind letting me know how The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater goes? I enjoyed Stiefvater's "Wol..."

What?!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments CJ - i never promised you a rose garden wrote: "LethalLovely~Kiss Me Hard Before You Go wrote: "Hehehe! My real name is Ammarylis-but that's beside the point! Long live the L's!

Laura, would you mind letting me know how [bookcover:The Scorpio R..."

The books don't interest me. Carnivorous water horses in Ireland, though, oh yeah!

message 23: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) CJ - i never promised you a rose garden wrote: "LethalLovely~Kiss Me Hard Before You Go wrote: "Hehehe! My real name is Ammarylis-but that's beside the point! Long live the L's!

Laura, would you mind letting me know how [bookcover:The Scorpio R..."

What, what in the butt? You didn't know my real name was Ammarylis or you didn't know that I ♥ Stiefvater?

message 24: by Laura (last edited Oct 26, 2012 06:22AM) (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments October Build Your Own Challenge- read 7 books from my TBR pile including my monthly book club selection.

1 / 7 completed

1. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater completed 10/7
2. Anna Karenina (Parts V-VIII) by Leo Tolstoy ^

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy

Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) (4 out of 8)

Halloween Creature Features and Costums.

Vampires - Check!
Were-creatures or shape-shifters
Ghosts/Shades/Echoes of the Deceased - Check!
Faeries Check!
Witches/Warlocks/Magical (preferably mortal) beings - Check!

Book 1: First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

Grim Reaper and Ghosts

Book 2: Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells

Vampires and Mages (magical, mortal beings)

Book 3: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan

Giants and mere-people

Book 4: Not Your Ordinary Faerie Tale (The Others, #5) by Christine Warren

Faeries

message 26: by Laura (last edited Oct 26, 2012 06:21AM) (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments October Build Your Own Challenge- read 7 books from my TBR pile including my monthly book club selection.

2 / 7 completed

2. Anna Karenina (Parts V-VIII) by Leo Tolstoy ^ completed 10/15
3. Avon Books Presents: Love Beyond Time with Evelyn Rogers *
4. Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier
5. The Haunting of Hill House in The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson *
6. In Our Dreams with Linda Lael Miller *
7. The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl

Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 27: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) UM, I've decided to back out of this challenge. I'm just so busy this month (and semester). It's causing me to read at a snail's pace and when I do have time to read, it seems like I'm picking up books that don't fit the criteria I decided for this challenge. As much of a challenge addict as I am, I think it's best if I refrained from participating in Monthlies for the rest of 2012. =(

Have fun, ladies.

message 28: by Laura (last edited Oct 26, 2012 06:21AM) (new)

3 / 7 completed

3. Avon Books Presents: Love Beyond Time with Evelyn Rogers * completed 10/17
4. Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier
5. The Haunting of Hill House in The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson *

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier

The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 29: by Kate (last edited Oct 18, 2012 10:48AM) (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) Halloween Creature Feature - 7/8

Must include: Vampires, Were-creatures or shape-shifters, Ghosts/Shades/Echoes of the Deceased, Faeries, and Witches/Warlocks/Magical (preferably mortal) beings.

Books:

First Grave on the Right, The Mark of Athena, Red-Headed Stepchild,Blood Bound, You're So Vein, Not Your Ordinary Faerie Tale, and The Vampire's Bride.

Creatures covered:

Vampires, werewolves, coyote shapeshifter (skinwalker), dragon shapeshifters, were-jaguar, demons, ghosts, the Grim Reaper, Sorcerers, Magi, Faeries, Giants, cyclopes, mere-people, Nymphs, and humans. ;)

Bonus Non-Creature Costumes:
Cop (detective, but I'm counting it)-Sweet Surrender

message 30: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ooooh, Sweet Surrender! Yummmmy!

message 31: by Laura (last edited Oct 26, 2012 06:20AM) (new)

4 / 7 completed

4. Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier completed 10/19

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) Halloween Creature Feature - 9/8

Since I've already covered all my creatures, I'm just going to go ahead and list the books:

First Grave on the Right, The Mark of Athena, Red-Headed Stepchild, Blood Bound, You're So Vein, The Undead In My Bed, Not Your Ordinary Faerie Tale, The Vampire's Bride, and On the Prowl.

message 33: by Laura (last edited Oct 26, 2012 06:19AM) (new)

5 / 7 completed

5. The Haunting of Hill House in The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson * completed 10/23

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller

The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 34: by Laura (new)

6 / 7 completed

5. The Haunting of Hill House in The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson * completed 10/23
6. In Our Dreams with Linda Lael Miller * completed 10/25

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) October Build Your Own Challenge
Books tagged as Witches
Complete: 2/3

1. Possess Me at Midnight by Shayla Black - (Oct 15) 4★'s
2. In the Heat of the Bite by Lydia Dare - (Oct 24) 3.5★'s
3. Oracle's Moon by Thea Harrison

Possess Me at Midnight (Doomsday Brethren, #3) by Shayla Black In the Heat of the Bite (Regency Vampyre Trilogy, #2) by Lydia Dare Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Ooooh, Sweet Surrender! Yummmmy!"

It WAS! I'm pretty much addicted at this point. I've read the first three now and the fourth one should reach my house tomorrow or Monday. @_@

message 37: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments It's a horrible thing, being addicted to book. NOT!

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) October Build Your Own Challenge
Books tagged as Witches
Complete: 3/3

1. Possess Me at Midnight by Shayla Black - (Oct 15) 4★'s
2. In the Heat of the Bite by Lydia Dare - (Oct 24) 3.5★'s
3. Deadlock by Moira Rogers - (Oct 27) 3.5★'s

Possess Me at Midnight (Doomsday Brethren, #3) by Shayla Black In the Heat of the Bite (Regency Vampyre Trilogy, #2) by Lydia Dare Deadlock (Southern Arcana, #3) by Moira Rogers

message 39: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Way to go, Lauren!

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "It's a horrible thing, being addicted to book. NOT!"

*Giggles*, I love it. Except for those times when I'm supposed to be doing other stuff and no one will let me skip work and family stuff to read. They just don't seem to understand how important it is!

message 41: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Miss Kate wrote: "They just don't seem to understand how important it is! "

Clearly they need to get their priorities straight!

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote:
Clearly they need to get their priorities straight!"

I knoooooowwwww. *Sighs*, I've tried to teach them, but they just won't listen.

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Danielle's WLLK October BYOC
5th Annual October Scare Fest
Goal: Read six books with scary over/undertones or which bring to mind Halloween themes.

Update: 11/1
Completed: 8/6

1. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake 10/12
2. 12.21 by Dustin Thomason 10/14
3. Long After Dark by Greg Gifune 10/16
4. Dark Ladies: Conjure Wife/Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber 10/19
5. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride 10/21
6. Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon 10/24
7. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson 10/26
8. Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts 10/27

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments Finished!

October Build Your Own Challenge- read 7 books from my TBR pile including my monthly book club selection.

7 / 7 completed

6. In Our Dreams with Linda Lael Miller * completed 10/25
7. The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne completed 11/1

^ Book club selection
* Anthology book

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy Avon Books Presents Love Beyond Time by Joan Hohl Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier The Lottery and Other Stories; The Haunting of Hill House; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson In Our Dreams by Linda Lael Miller The House of Seven Gables  by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 45: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Awesome, Laura!