Ask Tess Gerritsen - September 23, 2012 discussion

Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
This topic is about Last to Die
Rizzoli and Isles in your book and on TV

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janis (new)

Janis | 1 comments How do you feel about the changes made by TV to your characters and their families? For example, in Last to Die, Maura's mother is referred to as a murderess, imprisoned for life. But in the TV series, she is a well known scientist whom Maura gets to meet.

message 2: by Tess (new)

Tess Gerritsen | 72 comments Janis wrote: "How do you feel about the changes made by TV to your characters and their families? For example, in Last to Die, Maura's mother is referred to as a murderess, imprisoned for life. But in the TV s..."

While I would love for the TV show to be EXACTLY like the books, it's just not going to happen. I personally love the idea that Maura has this evil bloodline that troubles her and makes her wonder about her own motivations. Perhaps that was just too dark and freaky for TV.

message 3: by Toledo (T.J.) (new)

Toledo (T.J.) (toledotj) | 1 comments Sometimes I think we just have to accept the books vs the tv show as two separate entities. I really prefer to read the books first, because they are so much more real in my mind. Then the tv show can be whatever, and I will adjust.

message 4: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa | 1 comments We know that the TV series is never really going to follow the books just as any movie is never going to do likewise. For that reason I take the TV series on it's own merits and do not compare the two. In addition the actresses are not going to match up to the mental image of the characters we have in our heads. I'm tired of the people who are 'book snobs' and just want to see the characters in the books with their backgrounds and storylines intact rather than accept or embrace the differences. In many instances the changes/differences are a small price to pay for being able to watch in this instance Rizzoli and Isles being brought to life in this new form.

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 1 comments I have read a few of Tess Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles novels and I have also watched an occasional episode on TV. Unfortunately I can’t seem to recognize the two as being even similar (much less the same). The television series started off on the wrong foot by making the personalities different. All the details that are added still don’t make a fit. This is often the case with books that are made into movies but the problem is compounded weekly with a television series. My strong advice to those who have seen the series and not read the book; stay away from the book, on the other hand if you've read the books but (for some unknown reason) never seen the series; stick to the written word. For the majority that have experienced both; my sympathies.

Darla | 2 comments I love the books on the other hand my Mother watches the show and reads the books. Even though I think the actresses are very talented and well liked, I'll stick with the books because there's something raw and exciting I can't get from the show. Keep 'em coming Tess, we love you! :)

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments How do you come up with your plot lines?

message 8: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 4 comments Tess Gerritsen was here a year ago. I'm sorry, but it's highly unlikely that she will come back to answer questions.