Shut Up & Read discussion

Red
This topic is about Red
Archives > Help! I'm misunderstood....

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate Kinsey | 10 comments I recently published my first book, a crime thriller called "Red" with Kensington Books. But I'm afraid I'm not finding the right audience — largely because it seems that my publisher has been "tagging" me along with the erotic fiction they are pushing to cash in on the whole "Fifty Shades" frenzy.

Maybe they just aren't sure what to do with me, as the book takes several genres and mixes them together for a very different kind of book. "Red" is graphic, gory, erotic, gritty and suspenseful, full of dark twists and surprises.

I have gotten some very good reviews so far, but I need a lot more to make it clear that this is NOT another erotic romance.

I am here basically begging for anybody willing to review "Red" or any authors who have had experience with trying to "retarget" the right audience.

Any help would be most appreciated. "Red" is the best thing I've ever written, and it just kills me that it's not finding the readers who would appreciate it.

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) You've got the right idea by asking on Goodreads. This group has a Read it and Reap thing, whereby authors can sign up to provide free copies for people to review.

There's also a section on this group (and most others) where you can do a post for your book, again offering free copies in exchange for a review.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

wow i found your book in netgalley and requested a copy but i am still waiting for repond. I would love to read it and write a review. please let me know

thanks

Kate Kinsey | 10 comments Heidy, I don't know why netgallery didn't come through for you, but it may be just that it's mostly automated and things like that always drop something along the way. It's frustrating!

I just signed up for the Read It & Reap so hopefully it will be available soon.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Thomas (laurathomas) | 565 comments Hi Kate. You really are in the right place. Red sounds fantastic and I'll be watching for it.

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 40 comments I will be watching for it, too! It looks great!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 374 comments You ought to check out Making Connections, too. It's a group here on GR just to connect authors to reviewers/bloggers

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Thomas (laurathomas) | 565 comments And the Nexus is a great group also!

message 9: by MeMe Belikova (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 950 comments You should send a message to the mod for this group! Her name is Tt and we would love to help promote your book!

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Kinsey | 10 comments Thanks, ya'll. I will check out your suggestions. :)

Becky | 34 comments Guys, this book is awesome, so definitely read it and give her a review !!

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 291 comments Looks good, definitely will be keeping my eye out for it.

message 13: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Sep 23, 2012 08:24PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) And when asking for reviews on goodreads, add also a request for readers to put on "shelves"—the goodreads equivalent of genres or tags. Specifying what shelves would be a bad idea if anyone interpreted asking for a specific shelf as equivalent to asking for a good review. But asking for an honest review and for reader to shelve as they find appropriate...

Hopefully won't stay on same shelves as 50 shades as people read.

(Publishers see how profitable 50 Shades ... It gets out of hand).