Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > HF set in Czechoslovakia

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dcree (new)

Dcree | 3 comments Any recommendations for books set in old Czechoslovakia? I've read "The Bloodletter's Daughter."

message 2: by Ioana (new)

Ioana | -12 comments Can't help with any recommendation, sorry - but we just got back from Prague and Cesky Krumlov, and this books sounds very interesting. I added it to my (very long) to-read shelf. Thank you.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 29 comments HHhH by Laurent Binet which turned into a pretty compelling read.

message 5: by Zuzana (last edited Jan 27, 2013 09:27AM) (new)

Zuzana Dcree wrote: "Any recommendations for books set in old Czechoslovakia? I've read "The Bloodletter's Daughter.""

Dcree, are you looking for books set only in Czechoslovakia (1918-1992) or books set in Bohemia (historical region that is nowadays Czech Republic)?

For Czechoslovakia try
The Little Town Where Time Stood Still and Cutting it Short or Closely Watched Trains by Hrabal
The Hangwoman by Kohout
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera
The Cowards by Škvorecký
The Glass Room by Mawer

For Bohemia
The Good Soldier Švejk by Hašek
Legends of Old Bohemia by Jirásek
The Memoirs of a Prague Executioner by Svátek

message 6: by Chrissie (last edited Jan 27, 2013 09:38AM) (new)

Chrissie Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Zoli
I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up in the Holocaust

are all wonderful. The first two and the last are not historical fiction though. They are biographies/memoirs.

I quit The Bloodletter's Daughter. What did you think of it? I didn't like the the way it was written.

I have quite a few more on my Czech-Republic and Slovakia shelves if you are interested:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/... and
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 7: by Christoph (new)

Christoph Fischer | 9 comments Dcree wrote: "Any recommendations for books set in old Czechoslovakia? I've read "The Bloodletter's Daughter.""

I just wrote one
The Luck of the Weissensteiners

message 8: by Dcree (last edited Feb 11, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Dcree | 3 comments Chrissie wrote: "Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
Zoli
I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up in..."

message 9: by Dcree (new)

Dcree | 3 comments Zuzana wrote: "Dcree wrote: "Any recommendations for books set in old Czechoslovakia? I've read "The Bloodletter's Daughter.""

Dcree, are you looking for books set only in Czechoslovakia (1918-1992) or books se..."

Zuzana wrote: "Dcree wrote: "Any recommendations for books set in old Czechoslovakia? I've read "The Bloodletter's Daughter.""

Dcree, are you looking for books set only in Czechoslovakia (1918-1992) or books se..."

Thank you very much for your post. I am very interested in memoirs, especially those about the Holocaust.

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Glad I could help!

message 11: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I am reading The Glass Room by Simon Mawer which takes place in this country at the beginning of WWII.

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Nancy, the reviews on the The Glass Room are quite split. What are yo thinking?

message 14: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Chrissie wrote: "Nancy, the reviews on the The Glass Room are quite split. What are yo thinking?"

I am enjoying it although the writing is a bit different.

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Hmmm!

message 16: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Try anything by Arnošt Lustig. A Prayer for Katerina Horovitzova and Lovely Green Eyes are both very good.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 30 comments Chrissie wrote: "Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
Zoli
I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up in..."

I read the Bloodletter's Daughter as a buddy read. I love that time period and I really wanted to love this book. The legend of Marketa is fascinating but I had trouble with her writing, too. I understand that she wanted Mareka to be a strong female character but I felt it was a little overdone. And I don't like when all the characters are doing the thinking. It gets confusing.

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Laura wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
Zoli
I Have Lived a Thousand Yea..."

If you are interested in GOOD books set in Czechoslovakia DO check out the ones I named above. We seem to like and dislike the same stuff.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lafferty Czechoslovakia is a great place for the setting of a historic novel. My favorite artist Alfonse Mucha was from there. I haven't read any of these novels yet but they look really interesting!

message 20: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jennifer wrote: "Czechoslovakia is a great place for the setting of a historic novel. My favorite artist Alfonse Mucha was from there. I haven't read any of these novels yet but they look really interesting!"

I couldn't agree more. Prague is one of the most delightful cities of Europe.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 30 comments I haven't been to Prague for 20 years. A lot has changed since then. I could get a bus from Nürnberg, it takes like 3 hours to get there. Maybe this summer. My colleague is from Prague, so she's travelling there all the time.

message 22: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Laura,I love the city. Take a look at the stones in the sidewalks, they all have different patterns.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 30 comments Before or after the Absinth? ;-)

message 24: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Before, they are beautiful. Look at the ones near the Jewish cemetery. In fact I spent way too much time looking at my feet once I saw what was going on there at my toes.

And the park and the steps. Look at all of it! It is really lovely.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 30 comments Do you have any pictures?

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Only paper photos. I have a whole page of just the different pavement patterns. I really cannot get them here on GR.This is too complicated for me!

message 27: by Zina (new)

Zina (zinarohan) | 30 comments Ioana wrote: "Can't help with any recommendation, sorry - but we just got back from Prague and Cesky Krumlov, and this books sounds very interesting. I added it to my (very long) to-read shelf. Thank you."
Perhaps I shouldn't, but as a Bookreads author - who would not be making any money out of theis - my first book was set in Czechoslovakia:
The Book Of Wishes And Complaints