The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Miscellaneous Archives > Position Open for New Moderator

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver Since are current two other moderators are both MIA, I would like to find a new moderator who could help out with running the group.

Past moderating experience would be nice but is not a requirement. I am here to help in any way and answer any questions you might have.

All I ask is for someone who is regularly active in the group and believes they can commit themselves to the position and take an active moderating role.

The task should not be too difficult, and any new ideas for how you think this group can be improved will be welcome.

Please respond here if you are interested.

message 2: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I have some ideas on how the group can be improved. (Some of us had talked about this in the chat thread.)

Rather than just having a general call for nominations for every read, on certain reads, have more specific guidelines.

For example, people can nominate only mysteries. Or essays from the 19th century. Or have a Jane Austen read. Or only French authors. Or books written today, but set in the 19th century. Or have people who participate in the latest read get to decide what the group reads next.

Maybe you could do something like that every other read. And then still have the general nomination reads as well.

I think another way to spice up the group - and I've said this a number of times - is that rather than always doing the "big" name books, give people a chance to learn new authors.

That would mean really setting up what the books are about before voting. Instead of just putting up the name of the book, the person nominating might try to "sell" their suggestion.

Just some ideas for whatever they are worth. ;)

message 3: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments One last suggestion. :-)

If you can't find a single moderator to help out, maybe we could form a committee of say 5-6 people. The committee can come up with ideas, and share the responsibilities of moderating the reads. Then, each person would only be responsible for one read per year.

message 4: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments That would mean really setting up what the books are about before voting. Instead of just putting up the name of the book, the person nominating might try to "sell" their suggestion.

I think this should be a rule for the Nominations thread.

The committee idea is a good one.

Kudos Lynn!

message 5: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder Why not have the person who nominates the book be the moderator if it is selected?

message 6: by Lynnm (last edited Sep 23, 2012 06:34AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments ☯Emily wrote: "Why not have the person who nominates the book be the moderator if it is selected?"

That's what is supposed to happen now - and which is a recent change due to the fact that Silver is really the only one moderating right now. But I noticed that we had very few books nominated this time. Maybe people are afraid they'll have to moderate?

If we had another "full time" moderator or a committee, they would be people who know what they are signing up for.

message 7: by Silver (new)

Silver ☯Emily wrote: "Why not have the person who nominates the book be the moderator if it is selected?"

That is what I am attempting to do now. In the case of Goethe it was not officially nominated, because it was randomly selected from the groups TBR list, and I sent out a message asking for interested moderators but no one stepped forward

message 8: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4457 comments Mod
Silver, I would consider moderating. If nothing else, it would help keep me focused on signing in regardless of whats going on in my world. I'm just not sure how good at it I would be as I am not sure I have a good handle on the computer system. If nobody else wants to help, I certainly will.

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver Deborah wrote: "Silver, I would consider moderating. If nothing else, it would help keep me focused on signing in regardless of whats going on in my world. I'm just not sure how good at it I would be as I am not..."

Thank you, I will keep you mind, and it is pretty easy, I do not consider myself an expert at computer systems, but most of the stuff is user friendly, and I will be happy to answer any questions.

message 10: by Silver (new)

Silver BunWat wrote: "I'm confused. Are you looking for moderators or discussion leaders? It's not necessary to be a group moderator in order to lead a group discussion."

I am looking for group moderatros.

message 11: by Nemo (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) Speaking of "someone who is regularly active im the group", almost all the commenters (myself excluded) in this thread qualify. If I may, I would like to nominate Madge, Lynnm, Deborah and Bunwat as moderators. :)

message 12: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I'm too controversial to be a moderator.

message 13: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1797 comments Mod
MadgeUK wrote: "I'm too controversial to be a moderator."

Wouldn't that make you a particularly interesting moderator and group discussion leader?

message 14: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I also would be glad to chip in, although more in the form of being part of a committee and then just moderating a couple of discussions per year.

message 15: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.), Founder (last edited Jan 18, 2013 03:30PM) (new)

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
I know that I am by no means particularly active in this group at this point in time--for a whole host of reasons, but I do try and pay attention to the 'ebb and flow' of the group.

In the spirit of full disclosure, over the past year or so I have been dealing with my mother's illness with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). She died in early-November of 2012. Obviously, the task at hand now is to ensure that my elderly Papa is well-taken care of by my brother and I.

Also, my wife and I have recently taken in two of our grandchildren with us, as their parents have been deployed by the U.S. Army for the next year. So, we are now full-time 'parenting' a seven year-old boy, and a 2.5 year-old little girl. Whee-doggy! It is more fun than a human being should be allowed to have, and at 57 years old I am too damn old to be doing this again! ;-)

Anyway, do let me know if you all need help and/or if you'd like me to turn over my moderator privileges/responsibilities to another member. I think your collective suggestion of moderation by committee a good one, and let me know if I can help make that work for all of you. I'm guessing that you have probably worked all this out though by now. Best wishes to all of you, and Cheers! Chris

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 269 comments I'm so sorry to hear about your mother Christopher - my deepest sympathy.

But I'm glad you're having fun with your grandchildren!

message 17: by Adelle (new)

Adelle My sympathy regarding your mother, Christopher.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
Adelle wrote: "My sympathy regarding your mother, Christopher."

Thanks, Adelle, very much appreciated. It was a blessing though, as she really was suffering. If there can be something fortunate about the experience it was that we had home hospice care, and it was really a comforting process for her and for all of us. She was always surrounded by friends and family, and her cat! Hospice care givers are angels!

message 19: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Sorry to hear of your difficulties but delighted to hear of your joys Christopher. You are still a valued moderator and contributor so I am sure we are all happy to keep the status quo.

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise (drbetteridge) | 33 comments I agree.

message 21: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Christopher wrote: " It is more fun than a human being should be allowed to have, and at 57 years old I am too damn old to be doing this again! ;-) ..."

Chris -- sorry to hear the news about your mother. Loss of a parent is an especially poignant transition for most of us. (I have been an "orphan" for the vast share of my adult life.)

If it is any encouragement to you, my husband was 59 when our son was born. He was primary caretaker for many years while I continued to work outside the home full time (we did also have household help).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.