The Diary of a Young Girl The Diary of a Young Girl discussion

Is there any books like this one?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Mochaspresso A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It's not about the holocaust, but it is about a young girl that deals with the hardships of growing up in poverty.

Melat I read a very heart breaking story similar to Ann Frank call Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy. I suggest it if you want a book about the holocaust.

Esther Bradley-detally An Interrupted Life, Etty Hillesum, outshines the other; incredible; and then Letters from Westerbork, second book; shedied in the camps; she wanted to be the thinking heart of the barracks, and indeed she was

krysta There is one book called Annexed, it goes over everything that happens in the Secret Annex except it's from Peter's point of view. You should really check it out...

Mochaspresso Perhaps, someone recognizes this story? In HS, I remember reading a short story (or it could have been an excerpt from a book...) about a young boy who climbs a barbed wire to fence to escape from his homeland of Yugoslovia. I remember that there was symbolism in the fact that he cuts his hand on the fence and several drops of blood are shed on his homeland before he goes over the fence. I remember enjoying the story but I don't remember the title or author. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Vicki G The book 'Night' by Elie Wiesel is probably like it. I've been trying to find it so I could send it back to the library. I just know it's about his family getting murdered in one of the concentration camps, b/c that's whom he dedicated it to on the page where authors do that.
But I haven't actually read it, although I never expected to misplace it either.

Brenna I can't say that I've read anything like The Diary of Anne Frank, but I've heard Between Shades of Gray is a really good holocaust book. I plan on reading it soon.

Rolana How about I am David? David's entire twelve-year life has been spent in a grisly prison camp in Eastern Europe. He knows nothing of the outside world. But when he is given the chance to escape, he seizes it. With his vengeful enemies hot on his heels, David struggles to cope in this strange new world, where his only resources are a compass, a few crusts of bread, his two aching feet, and some vague advice to seek refuge in Denmark. Is that enough to survive?. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...

Brenna Rolana wrote: "How about I am David? David's entire twelve-year life has been spent in a grisly prison camp in Eastern Europe. He knows nothing of the outside world. But when he is given the chance to escape, he ..."

Oh! I completely forgot about I am David! Great book. :)

Bekah Loker If you're just looking for a diary, I would reading Go Ask Alice.

If you're looking for another WWII book, I would read Night or The Book Thief.

Avani I second the The Book Thief recommendation.

Rosalba Go Book Thief! Also Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Regil Most loved WW2 stories are Number the Stars- better than Anne Frank Number the Stars by Lois Lowry . Try also the upstairs room The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss which was a real story.

Rosalba I found another book about the Holocaust you might like: Once (Once, #1) by Morris Gleitzman . It sounds great, even I want to read it.

Brenna Sunburst wrote: "Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm looking for any book about WWII, middle school and/or "growing up" if ya know what I mean... :D"

Anne of Green Gables deals with growing up a little bit. :) I just finished that book.

Bdalton Clara's War: A Young Girl's True Story of Miraculous Survival Under the Nazis by Clara Kramer is a book that comes to mind that is most similar.

Aother Diary book of a young Jewish girl from America during the same timeframe is The Red Leather Diary by Lily Koppel. I enjoyed both of these books!

Thee is also a young adult book called Annexed - a fictional account of the Ann Frank story from Peter's perspective.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom is another excellent book.

Sarah Bullock Bread Givers by Anzia Yerksevia

Erlichyte Karahan You can try Zlata's Diary by Zlata Filipovic. I read it a long time ago, I don't know if I would like it as an adult.

Siobhan I'm sure in high school we read a book about the holocaust from a Russian perspective. I keep thinking it's something like 39 steppes (steppes is definitely in the title) but the famous 39 steppes is not the storyline I remember.

Penny http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_n...
The Secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna Bannister.

Briana Between Shades of Gray is super amazing and like changed my life. Everyone should read it. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Driftwood Briana wrote: "Between Shades of Gray is super amazing and like changed my life. Everyone should read it.Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys"

This is defintely worth reading. I loved it also. I would also recommend The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom and Zlata's diary.

Laura Vicki wrote: "The book 'Night' by Elie Wiesel is probably like it. I've been trying to find it so I could send it back to the library. I just know it's about his family getting murdered in one of the concentrati..."

I read 'Night' and yes it is indeed similar. More so in regard to the fact that both books are non-fiction. A beautifully written book and yet sad.

message 25: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan I agree with Bdalton - Clara's War is the awesome-ist. I've read over 150 Holocaust books and can recommend so many good books, but I read Clara's War just last year and I think it's even better than Anne Frank.

Kelli George Mocha Spresso wrote: "Perhaps, someone recognizes this story? In HS, I remember reading a short story (or it could have been an excerpt from a book...) about a young boy who climbs a barbed wire to fence to escape from..."

It sounds like a movie I saw called I Am David, which is based on a book.

Laura Could that be "the boy in the stripped pyjamas"?

Kelli George Laura wrote: "Could that be "the boy in the stripped pyjamas"?"

That was a different book and movie. I Am David, which was far better than The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, was a book as well as a movie which had Jim Caviezel in it.

Laura Thanks for the recommendation. I will look for I Am David. :-)

betsy "Tamar" by Mal Peet. It is about the holocaust.

Triss Stein No one has mentioned The Upstairs Room by Joanna Reiss. Highly recommend for older children and teens. And I think someone else is looking for The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig, another excellent story based on real life wartime experiences.

(I used to be a children's librarian before I became a mystery writer)

Kelli George I am not sure whether this is a book but I know it is a movie -- called Swing Kids. It is about these kids in Nazi Germany who use American Swing Dancing as a form of rebellion.

Lauren There was one that I read a long time ago about a Polish girl who was sent to the Gulag by the Soviet Union. I think it's called the Endless Steppe but I'm not sure.

Elena There is a book called Anne Frank Remembered written in the perspective of Miep Gies. It's really good and tells additional information about her years before hiding and has some pictures. There is more too like Yellow Star and the Boy in the Striped Pajamas. There is one i haven't read yet, Between Shades of Gray.

message 35: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Umm...Number the Stars and Night are both about the Holocaust. Number the Stars is fiction, though.

SweetCheeses And Coffee Dreams I second, "The Hiding Place", by Corrie Ten Boom.

message 37: by L (new) - rated it 3 stars

L Fischmann I remember really enjoying 'The Silver Sword' by Ian Seraillier. It's a story of three Polish children in WW2 and their journey to Switzerland.

It's fiction but based on a true story, I think.

Also check out the film Europa Europa, the story of Solomon Perel, a Jewish lad who hid his true origins to survive, and even joined the Hitler Youth.

Esther Bradley-detally I've read a lot but i can't remember the names; look for memoir, and you'll find them-incredible!

Pamela Try "Fatelessness" by Nobel literature laureat Imre Kertesz. It is a wonderful novel that draws from Kertesz' own experience as a Jewish teen in Nazi-occupied Hungary. He was deported to a concentration camp but survived.

Paula Restless Memories, by Sam Oliner---twelve-year-old escapes the Nazi round-up of his ghetto and hides with Polish farm families from the Nazis. Many other Holocaust memoirs, inc. one of a boy who must run from farm to farm in the Polish countryside, year after year, during this era. Another is of a young girl in the Warsaw ghetto who survives for awhile with her family, then flees the Nazis and runs up the building's stairs while, from another apartment, a sick mother with a newborn baby cries out "But what will become of us? what will become of us?" as the Nazis come up the stairs.

Isabella The Endless Steppe wasn't the best but it was similar to this.
I LOVED Between Shades of Gray. Highly recommend it!

Kelli George Primo Levi's Survival in Auschwitz is a good book

Willett Thomas Of course, if you're looking for coming of age reading, there's always To Kill a Mockingbird and The Secret Life of Bees, both Southern Gothic, and great reads. If you like, and you're willing to do a review, I can send you my novel, Raised by Hand, Lifted by the Tides, about a young girl going up in the south. Here's the link on Amazon. I can send by mobi, epub or pdf. All the best, Willett

http://www.amazon.com/Raised-Hand-Lif...

Amara Night by Elie Wiesel

Amara Also, seeing as this is about reading, it's "ARE there any books like this one?". Come on people, we can do better than this!

Willett Thomas Amara wrote: "Also, seeing as this is about reading, it's "ARE there any books like this one?". Come on people, we can do better than this!"

Sometimes we need to embrace people where they are. :-)

Laura I have lived a thousand years by Livia Bitton - Jackson.
Edith's Story by Edith Velmans
Rena's Promise by Rena Kornreich

The above books are worth a read and I couldn't put them down :)

Marianne I don't remember the name, but it's a real diary of a young girl from the time of Yugoslavia's wars.

Jessica Morris Night by Elie Weisal is the most brilliant and detailed Holocaust book I have read so far. There were parts I had to read twice to wrap my mind around the horror suffered by so many.

Lesley Arrowsmith The Yugoslavian one is by Zlata Filipovic - but I think someone went out looking for a girl who was keeping a diary in that war, to be the "Bosnian Ann Frank".
According to Wikipedia, the Filipovic family later escaped to Paris.

« previous 1 3