Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > "about the author" page in page numbering

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 14 comments Under page numbering, the list of what isn't included in the book should contain the about-the-author page . In print books, this is usually found on the inside cover, but in many PDFs the book comes to an end, the next page introduces the author, the page after that has a book list by said author and then there are excerpts.

I've referred back to the page numbering paragraphs many times, figured out that the author page isn't included in the numbering and thought how convenient it would be if the paragraphs contained this information.

Thanks.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32649 comments Mod
ms bookjunkie wrote: "Under page numbering, the list of what isn't included in the book should contain the about-the-author page"

Why? I see no reason it should not be. Also, in many of my print books, it is at the end, and some of the time is a numbered page and some of the time is not.

message 3: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 14 comments rivka wrote: "Why? I see no reason it should not be. "

Sorry, my original text was convoluted so now I need clarification about what you're asking. Are you saying that about-the-author _should_ be counted into the page numbering?

(I don't really care either way, I just would like it clarified one way or the other in the Librarian Manual. So that the next time I add page numbering to ebook info I don't have to spend ten minutes figuring it out.)

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It really depends too much on where it is. If it is immediately after the other included text, it would be counted. But in many books it would come after the previews and such, and then it would not get counted.

message 5: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 14 comments Okay. Mostly it's on the page after the story ends and before the also-by-this-author book list and excerpts. Like so:

p 219 …and they lived happily ever after. The end.
p 220 About the author
p 221 She also wrote…
p 222 You might be interested in these other books by this author/publisher, let us tempt you with some excerpts…

So in this case, there would be 220 pages in the book?

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That would be my count, yeah.

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 318 comments That's what I've been doing. 220.

message 8: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 14 comments Okay, thanks guys. I can live with that. (And now I will remember it also.)