Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > How do you decide what book to read next?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (StephieJa) | 59 comments How do you decide what to read next?

message 2: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) I have a ridiculous amount of books on my shelves, so I usually go through that and take into consideration series books. I'm trying to finish all my series books, so I'm working on those now.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Right now with a review TBR pile coming out of my ears, I try to pick the one that has either been there the longest, or if it is an ARC which one releases first and needs to be reviewed now.

As for any other books, just whatever I am in the mood for. Paranormal, mystery, romance, whatever strikes my fancy.

message 4: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments for my next month's reading, i randomly pick about 25 books from my insanely massive tbr pile (3 each PNR,Romantic Suspense, YA, UF, Erotica, Contemporary Romance, 3from different series plus 1 or 2 new or library or borrowed or arc for review) then choose what i'm in the mood for. but that is my months reading. if i finish before the month ends i read something from a different genre

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I just read a basic description of the book. If it sounds interesting, I'll start it--if it doesn't hold my interest right then, I'll read something else. But I have to be in the MOOD for certain types of books. For instance if I'm depressed or tired (my Mum has Alzheimer's and dementia, and I spend a LOT of time worrying/with her) then we can forget--Horror, UF, anything Post-Appocolyptic. But there are times when those types of books are precisely what I want to read.

I have a lot of "humour" books that are--I guess you'd call them, "GOOD FRIENDS" for the times that I mentioned. Some books I've read 20 or 30 times. Other books I read once and then get rid of. (cough--J.R. Ward and her BDB books, horrible, horrible author--cough) Actually with that particular series, I got 50 pages into Book 1--THREE DIFFERENT times and just could not get any further, so I read book #2, you know, just in case it was strictly a "first book of a series usually suck" situation. I DID get through Book 2--but it took me almost 4 weeks, and, since I normally read 1 to 2 book a day. . . . . I got rid of the rest of the books that I'd bought in that series without even trying them.

But I too have a TBR pile that is NOT to be believed. I have a Nook AND a Kindle, and have collected a lot of freebie books for both, plus books that I've bought for both, and of course there are all of my "dead tree" (to quote my daughter) books. I figure my TBR pile is about 400 books or so, and grows almost daily. . . . . .

So many books, so little time.

message 6: by Sandy (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:03AM) (new)

Sandy | 449 comments I have a huge TBR pile too. I read library books first. Then I usually try to do one GR challenge a month and try to fit as many of my TBR books into the challenge as possible. That helps me choose some from the pile to read. Otherwise I just read whatever I'm in the mood for.

message 7: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments also i try to do challenges that will fit my tbr pile.

message 8: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments If I'm stuck for what I want to read I'll usually either check out what GR/bloggy friends are reading or look through the books I have at home (I have waaaaay too many unread books). If I still can't narrow it down, I'll see if there are any trailers for the books as some are awesome.

At the moment though I have it easy - I'm playing bookshelf bingo in another group which means I have to pick from specific GR shelves each week. It narrows everything down to just a handful of books.

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (sasichickett) | 7 comments It depends on what kind of mood I'm in when I finish my last book or if I've been waiting for a book to come out in one of the series I like to read.

message 10: by Sheri (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:39AM) (new)

Sheri | 0 comments I'm with Pat. I love challenges and try to fit them around my TBR pile instead of adding new ones...I do enough adding already :)

message 11: by Lori (last edited Sep 25, 2012 05:27PM) (new)

Lori (lori_hayes) | 45 comments I try to read what comes out in a series. I am or was reading. If nothing is out then I go for what looks interesting to me in my stack if `get to books' I have a stack if books, a ton of nook books to get too. I love my nook but i love the feel if that book in my hands also. Just look at what interests you. If you have nothing laying around check out what ppl are reading and check out w hat you think you'd like.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 157 comments I read any new books that are in any series's I have already started or by authors I love. Then from their I move to see what my friends on here are reading and if they likes it & I also have a look at reconmendation from GR & amazon. But pricing always helps my decission too, it all depends on how much I can spend on books atm

message 13: by Tina (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:47AM) (new)

Tina Smith (tinasmith) | 9 comments I read things people recommend, Someone recommended The Book Theif, I haven't gotten to it yet, because I love paranormal. I read a lot of Amanda Hocking for research. At the moment im reading A.M Hudson Tears of the broken. Its all young adult - for those of us who love myth's and vampires and mermaids.

message 14: by Steelwhisper (new)

Steelwhisper | 140 comments I read a lot research, and then often recs from friends or when I see something get a good review at certain review sites.

Some reviews do the opposite for me though, I tend to avoid certain books when I learn what's in them from reviewers.

message 15: by Ty (new)

Ty definitely reading challenges, but if not, my GR TBR. I hate seeing a book listed on the TBR for long, thus I trim it constantly. ha. Also, I always try to jump genres, just so the previous book can "marinate", if you will. But sometimes I get hooked on a series and run through the entire thing as fast as I can!

message 16: by Kimigasoradatta (new)

Kimigasoradatta i basically wonder around bookstores and look for whats interesting

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 196 comments It usually depends on what kind of mood that I am in first. Then of course if it is something that I need to review or for my bookclub they usually get pushed to the front.

Northwest_booknerd There is a few different ways I pick my next book. If I am reading a series then I try and read them one after another. If I just ended a single or last book of a series I go into my office and look at my shelves sometimes I know right away other times I read the backs of a ton then pick. I love buying books so I have many books I haven't yet read.

message 19: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments I usually read the next in the series that I'm reading. If the series is done (or the next one isn't out yet) then I'll read something that just came out in a series that I read. After that then I choose something that catches my eye. Hopefully that will be the start of a new series. What catches my eye could be what's been suggested on GR, or from another book. Or I scroll my Nook for something that gets my attention.

message 20: by Carleny (new)

Carleny I'm a huge 'judge a book by its cover' girl. If the cover looks nice and eye catching I read the blurb or the summary and if I like it I buy it and read it right away. Price also has a huge sway in what I read next. If there's a book that I want that costs an arm and a leg I'll take a look at my bookshelf where there are books that I haven't read yet. I sometimes buy books and put them in my bookshelf and forget about them until I see the shelves overflowing and decide to read.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I go where my mood takes me! I read the first couple pages of a book, and then if I want to continue, I pick it.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.R. Ward (other topics)