Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > Finding my digital books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana When I plug my Nook to computer it appears as a flash drive which is fine. But when I click on the files there isn't anything there. They appear as empty files. I'd just like to know where my digital copies of my books are.

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee Thames (sardonic) | 7 comments In Windows Explorer mine show up in:

E:/MyNookColor/B&N Downloads/Books

There are downloadable copies on the B&N site under 'My Account' and 'My Nook Library' in the Digital Management section. My apologies if you already know this.

message 3: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
If you're talking about your Nook Books, they're kept in a hidden partition on many, if not all, of the Nook models. If you want to access the files, you need to download them onto your computer from your library as mentioned above.

If you're talking sbout sideloaded books, then it's a different issue entirely.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana Thanks, this is helpful. I thought of the Nook icon like a flash drive and should have been able to see my books but apparently this is not so. But I can keep copies on my computer (Mac) as long as I down load them.

I love my Nook but I don't want to lose my books if anything should happen to B&N. But after M'Soft has put so much money into the company, all should be fine for a while.

message 5: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

I hear you, I download all my books as well.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I have a sideloading question. When I plug my Nook to into my computer, I have a Nook folder, I am trying to move epubs from my "download" folder to my Nook folder, so that I can read the books on my Nook. I don't think I am saying this correctly. So, my real question is how can I see the books that I move moved to my Nook folder on my Nook. I hope that is clear as mud!!

message 7: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Which Nook are you using?

message 8: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 221 comments Linda wrote: "I have a sideloading question. When I plug my Nook to into my computer, I have a Nook folder, I am trying to move epubs from my "download" folder to my Nook folder, so that I can read the books on ..."

try looking in the my files folder on your Nook. Stuff seems to go there. Or you can use the search function and type in the author or title and click on it.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee Thames (sardonic) | 7 comments Ok, in windows explorer you should see several folders under the root directory "NOOK". For this excercise only pay attention to (For a Nook Color) 'B&N Downloads' and 'My Files', (for a N1E) look at 'my B&N downloads' and 'my documents', (and for a NST) look at 'My Files'. Apparently B&N hides the folder where B&N content resides on the NST. If you click on 'B&N Downloads' or 'my B&N downloads' you will see your B&N books named with seemingly random number combinations.

For any/all sideloaded and/or non-B&N content must go in the either the 'My Files' or 'my documents' folder. And .epub's should go into the 'Books' sub-folder if you want them to appear in the library.

For the above you are looking at the internal storage provided with the Nook, not the directories/files in expandable memory slot you may also be using.

Lastly, I highly recommend Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/download) to manage your digital library. Both B&N and non-B&N. It is free and very easy to use and will sideload all your non-B&N eBooks for you with a simple click. There is plenty of information here on Calibre as well as MobileRead.

Hope this helps!

message 10: by Magnet (new)

Magnet | 1 comments I'm a new member of this group, seeking help with the issues discussed above. I have a Color Nook that I got this past spring, use a Mac OS 10.7, and have Calibre. I've used it to put sideloaded texts onto the Nook.

For me the big deficiency of my Nook is that I can't export the notes and highlighted passages of a book. I know I could email highlights etc individually as I make them to myself but that is a lot of bother.

So, I thought if I could transfer my e-books to my computer then I might be able to access the highlights and copy paste to a text doc.

But, with the Nook cabled to my Mac, the folder B&N Downloads> Books is empty, whether viewed through Caliber or directly in the Finder (Mac desktop). There are no files there. The books I have sideloaded are right there in the folder My Files> Books, no problem.

If I download the book again from B&N then of course it will not have any of my additions.

Maybe there's no way to get the highlights for books already read, but what if I buy on my computer from B&N, download, put in Calibre, and sideload from there. WillI I then be able to make notes and highlights, and access them in Calibre?

Thanks for any help. This seems to be an issue many people would like to see included in an upgrade.

message 11: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

An interesting question. I guess it depends on how the notes are stored. You will be able to view your NookBook epub files if you sideload them, but I'm not sure that will help you.

message 12: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Nov 11, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

I took a look at my files. I have annotation files for the epubs in my Digital Editions folder, but no apparent way to open them. I can't find any obvious annotation files in my Calibre folders, though they may be there.

message 13: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 221 comments Does anyone who owns the Tablet (Not the HD) have problems finding book on the external memory card using the Search function? I look up a book and it doesn't show up, but if I go to My Files and look at the memory card then scroll through everything I eventually find the book. It's a pain in the butt. Plus once I find the book and open it, if I open another book, then I have to go through the process all over again to open the previous book because it did not show up on the desktop.

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 5 comments Try shutting down your Tablet after sideloading books. When you power it on again, you should be able to see and/or search for them in your library. Hope that helps! :)

Missyb wrote: "Does anyone who owns the Tablet (Not the HD) have problems finding book on the external memory card using the Search function? I look up a book and it doesn't show up, but if I go to My Files and l..."

message 15: by Missyb (last edited Dec 08, 2012 02:42PM) (new)

Missyb | 221 comments Peggy wrote: "Try shutting down your Tablet after sideloading books. When you power it on again, you should be able to see and/or search for them in your library. Hope that helps! :)

Missyb wrote: "Does anyone ..."

I'll try that. I think it is just books that I added after I got the Tablet, not positive but I think that's the case. The memory card was in my Nook Color first, switched it over when I got the Tablet.

It worked, Thanks.