Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
This topic is about The Maze Runner
ARCHIVES > October 2012: Maze Runner by James Dashner

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gisbelle | 27299 comments This thread is for the discussions on Maze Runner by James Dashner.

If you include spoiler in your post, please let others know.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Anyone has read, is reading or is going to read this book?

message 3: by EJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

EJ | 11 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Anyone has read, is reading or is going to read this book?"

I actually just finished The Maze Runner last week. I didn't know we were doing it for the October read.

message 4: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments read it last week too. Maybe there was too much hype for me, but I just thought it was okay....

Gisbelle | 27299 comments :D I listen to audiobook, and now in chapter 7. Some people told me so as well. We'll see how it goes :D

message 6: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments audiobook, how is that?? I think some of my frustration may have been solved with an audio book!

Gisbelle | 27299 comments EJ wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Anyone has read, is reading or is going to read this book?"

I actually just finished The Maze Runner last week. I didn't know we were doing it for the October read."

No problem EJ :) You can discuss with us when we finish reading.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Trisha wrote: "audiobook, how is that?? I think some of my frustration may have been solved with an audio book!"

I like it so far. But it's a bit difficult to understand at first because of weird words they use :) I like Mark Deakins voice :)

Kelsey Steffon  (kelseyadelyn) I'm currently on pg. 59 and I can't really get into it. It just seems to be moving really slow!

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I'm in chapter 15 and yes, there are a lot of questions in my mind right now.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I just finished chapter 35. This book is not what I usually read, so my opinion of the book so far is not that good. I hope for more answers soon. :)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I almost finish guys!! On chapter 51 now.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Just finished the book. It was ok, I guess.

message 14: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I'm not that far in but I agree with you Gisbelle, I get confused sometimes because of the words sometimes as well.

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Oct 03, 2012 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments it might seem silly, but I actually really liked the weird words.
They were a great replacement to using cuss/swear words. Too often, YA books have used cussing as a "wow" factor in their books - I think I am Number 4 is a perfect example of it! There was swearing in it just to have swearing!!! - I love that their swear words were ones we didn't correlate with cussing. It gave the kids an air of rebellion without putting-off the reader.
I know this sounds silly, but my teen really dislikes books with too much swearing. She says it just makes the characters sound stupid and makes it hard for her to relate to them. I'd never noticed this with YA books, but she does so I've been more aware of it lately.....especially if I'm recommending a book to her....

I also think I only found this story "okay" because I think the target audience was broader than most dystopian books so I think their reader target was at the lower end of the teen spectrum so they kept it more....light? Easy to read? Simple? I don't know if any of these are the right word, but hopefully you get what I mean.....
I think I like my dystopian worlds a little grittier....LOL

message 16: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yeah, I did notice that the other day while reading! I like the words but sometimes I don't get exactly what they are trying to say! I hate books that have cursing in them just so there's a curse word in the book. I ABSOLUTELY hate that as well as your teen.

message 17: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yeah I definitely get what you mean, Trisha.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments After a few chapters, those words seemed normal. I didn't have any problem understanding them. And Trisha is right. They are better than using cuss words.

I found that book a bit bland :D I might read book 2, but maybe not anytime soon.

message 19: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yeah, I usually always complete a series but if it's terrible then I won't but yeah I usually like to finish series.

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I kinda have started book 2 :P It's much better so far (chapter 11). A lot more action, and the pace is much faster as well.

message 21: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Oh, that's good! The second one is Scorch Trials, right? I heard about the book The Kill Order. Are you thinking of reading that? Do you know if you have to read all three books before you read it?

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Oh, that's good! The second one is Scorch Trials, right? I heard about the book The Kill Order. Are you thinking of reading that? Do you know if you have to read all three books before you read it?"

Oh... I didn't have that. It's a prequel, but most prequel I have read don't relate to the books much. So I think I might check it out after I finish book 2.

message 23: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Oh okay!

Katie (katiehodgkinson) I can't find this book anywhere and I reeeeally want to read it D:

message 25: by Deepika (new)

Deepika (deepika3) | 247 comments Gisbelle wrote: ":D I listen to audiobook, and now in chapter 7. Some people told me so as well. We'll see how it goes :D"

Hey :) From where did u get that audiobook?

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I bought them in a store :)

Kassi | 41 comments I just put it on hold at Barnes and Noble. I will get it Saturday. Don't worry, I speed read! :)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Kassi wrote: "I just put it on hold at Barnes and Noble. I will get it Saturday. Don't worry, I speed read! :)"

Nice... I wish I could read faster :P

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Just joined the group and I'm going to start reading the book now!

message 30: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Awesome! I actually JUST finished it-like literally about 2 minutes ago!

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Great guys! I am up for some discussions :) I have finished the series already.

message 32: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Wow! Gisbelle! I still need to get the next two!

Kassi | 41 comments Just got it! Can't wait to read it! :P

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Kassi wrote: "Just got it! Can't wait to read it! :P"

I hope you enjoy it :) The story is intense!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Finished it! And I LOVED it!

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Jessica wrote: "Finished it! And I LOVED it!"

Great! What is your favorite part of the book?

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments The ending was the best of the whole book. I just couldn't stop reading

Gisbelle | 27299 comments So I am sure you love book 2 even more. It is even more intense than book 1 ;)

message 40: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Jessica- I loved it as well! I loved the part when (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) What was your favorite part?

message 41: by Yoly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yoly | 696 comments I just finished the first book. I enjoyed it, the truth is that I like books that have mystery and urge you to think about "how it will end." I felt the same with "the girl with the dragon tatoo".

Sometimes at the author just give it to you an stupid explanation, but here this was not the case. I liked what was behind the mystery.

In the two books (this and "The Girl with the dragon tatoo") I felt so curious that almost wanted to see on the Internet how it will end, because I felt that I wasn´t reading fast enough to satisfy my curiosity.

The only thing I did not like that some characters are not very defined.

message 42: by Yoly (last edited Jan 25, 2013 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yoly | 696 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Jessica- I loved it as well! I loved the part when [spoilers removed] and [spoilers removed] What was your favorite part?"

My favorite part was when Tomas gives the explanation to the council.