Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, #4) Breaking Dawn discussion

Did anyone else find this anticlamactic?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emily I loved the first three Twilight books, but this one did not nearly live up to the first three. In the end, it seemed as if they got to the brink of what should have been a huge war, but they decided to just be friends and go thier separate ways. It didn't make sense to me.

Lindsay Carpenter LOL. Yes! To be fair, I didn't love any of the books, but I at least got through them. The fourth one was okay, but in my opinion, it really should have just ended after the baby was born.

Avani I thought it was anticlimactic in the third part, when there was all this tension building up to a huge fight scene, but there was nothing. The book itself was interesting, but that part was anticlimactic and disappointing.

Janese Jackson That anti-climax was such a cop-out to me. There should have been a major, bloody battle in this book, but instead it was just a bunch of talking. Boo! Hiss!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes. It's sure as heck anticlimatic.

message 6: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva King I think it's because they are trying to target more people. The books (in theory) are targeted to teenage girls. But if they put a bit of violence it will be targeted for both genres and hopefully more ages...

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hoffman The book ended with a huge cop out because Stephenie Meyer couldn't bring herself to kill any of her characters. So she just had them talk it out in a tense matter, and expect the fairytale ending to be good enough for her rabid fans.

Sharon Davies I agree, they were training for a battle, that never happened, and I guess people want a happy ending, but an author has to take risks sometimes, like Rowling killing off Dumbledore, Dobby and more......
I think even when they went home, and closed the door to their little cottage and lived happily ever after was anticlimatic to me too. I remember thinking, 'oh is that it?' But how to end a book series, must be a really difficult thing for a writer to do, but personally - I would kill someone off....Mwaaahaahaa! lol

message 9: by Keri (last edited Sep 22, 2012 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Keri I agree, very anti-climactic. I enjoyed the first three but I was really disappointed with this book and assumed that it would be like many other book series and the last book would be great, making you feel sad that it ended. Unfortunately, with this book I was completely annoyed with the way perfect Bella got every single thing exactly the way she wanted it right down to being the perfect newborn vampire. I was also pretty bored with all the excessive talking and general lack of any action. A real disappointment all the way around.

Kirby Peace wrote: "i think if they did the whole war that suupose 2 happen, in the book, then that wold be cool. but i think it was more talking here & there. it in the movie they show that they did fight."

yeah, that's what it looked like in the trailer to me, too. I'm wondering if they're actually going to HAVE the fight (and maybe kill off someone), or if they're just going to run at each other and then have them stop for the stand-off.

message 11: by Tricia Drammeh (last edited Sep 23, 2012 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tricia Drammeh To be honest, my favorite thing about Twilight was the love triangle between Edward and Bella and Jacob. I also like the different characters and relationships. I'm glad Stephenie didn't kill off any of the major characters, but she could have plumped up the battle scene to make it more exciting. Breaking Dawn wasn't my fave book. It was alright. I'd love to see her explore the other characters and write more vampire novels.

message 12: by Nels (last edited Sep 23, 2012 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nels Paulson I a word yes. The series was full of issues, but i pressed forward. Breaking Dawn was, up until the end, probably the best written of the series.

I think many would agree that the chapters viewed from Jacob's point of view might be the best in the series.

If you look at the end- By not fighting the Cullen clan fails. It turns into a divide an conquer to pick off those who don't agree.

And the way they stop the fight is the biggest disappointment in the entire series. You could just write "I don't want to hurt my main characters so i am going to come up with something so they won't get hurt. If you love the characters as much as i do you will understand, If you don't then why are you at this point in the book. They all live happily ever after for all eternity...The end" And saved several pages of explaining that still doesn't make any sense.

Janese Jackson For those who mentioned the movie trailer where it looks as though a battle is about to commence, don't forget that in the book, Bella had some dreams about a battle. Perhaps that scene was from a dream. I'm not getting my hopes up for the big fight. I'll see when I see.

Tricia Drammeh Nels wrote: "I a word yes. The series was full of issues, but i pressed forward. Breaking Dawn was, up until the end, probably the best written of the series.

I think many would agree that the chapters viewe..."

I really enjoyed the chapters from Jacob's POV. There was a lot of good information that came from those chapters. The imprinting on Renesme kind of creeped me out, honestly. I kind of felt like the author wanted to give everyone a happily ever after, and that was her way of wrapping things up for Jacob. I really need to re-read the book before I see the final movie.

message 15: by Nels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nels Paulson Meyers had to do something during that time other than Bella is hearing this from other people while lying in a bed. It would have been very boring.
Jacob made perfect sense. Not only to bridge the gap, but to add more perspective, for comic relief in a strenuous time, and to throw "team Jacob" a bone.

I only wish we would have had more written from his point of view. It would have made things more entertaining.

message 16: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita The book did leave thinking, the Volturi was comming back, & felt, that there should be another book. From what I see hear, the last movie, is going to finish the book, for us. I still feel their is more of the story to be told. I don't think Stephenie, is going to wright another book though. She is to busy with producing movies. Wish she would get, Midnight Sun, back in publication,though. I would love to read the entire book, about Edwards feelings, & how he coped with them.

Tricia Drammeh Rita wrote: "The book did leave thinking, the Volturi was comming back, & felt, that there should be another book. From what I see hear, the last movie, is going to finish the book, for us. I still feel their i..."

I totally agree, Rita. The Volturi were turned away, but not defeated. There's definitely an opening for another book. Wouldn't you love to find out what happens to Renesme and Jacob? I think there's a lot of potential for future stories. Maybe the mood will strike and Stephenie will write more after all.

message 18: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Tricia wrote: "To be honest, my favorite thing about Twilight was the love triangle between Edward and Bella and Jacob. I also like the different characters and relationships. I'm glad Stephenie didn't kill off a..." You & me both, but she is just to busy now, producing movies. She is a great Author,so why produce movies? I want to read, Midnight Sun, but don't think she will ever put it back on bookshelvs again for us to read.

message 19: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita The Host, was beautifully wrighten, By Stephenie, but no vampires. It's in prodution now, & she is producing it. Wish she would stick to wrighting!!!

Tricia Drammeh I didn't really like The Host. Maybe it's because I'm not really into books with aliens, or maybe it's because I expected the magic of Twilight. I've read mixed reviews about The Host, but it wasn't to my taste. Too sci-fi

message 21: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Tricia, everyone has different taste, in a whole lot of things. It's ok, sure would be a boring world to live in if we were all,the same. Just don't know how offen, that magic comes in 1 life time? At least we had Twilight, in our life time. Its been one, hell of a ride, for us to be on. I'm sure all the actors are glad its over!!!!

message 22: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Janese wrote: "For those who mentioned the movie trailer where it looks as though a battle is about to commence, don't forget that in the book, Bella had some dreams about a battle. Perhaps that scene was from a ..."I beleive there will be a real fight scene, in this movie.Stephenine is producing it, so think this will be the fight that wasn't in the book. Wish she would go back to wrighting.

Kirby Janese wrote: "For those who mentioned the movie trailer where it looks as though a battle is about to commence, don't forget that in the book, Bella had some dreams about a battle. Perhaps that scene was from a ..."

that might be what they plan, but it wouldn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure that the dreams bella had were about the immortal children, which would have been before the impending fight. once they know that the volturi are coming, bella's already a vampire and doesn't sleep/dream anymore. also, the rest of the vampires (who bella never met as a human) are in the "fight scene." I'm thinking that they're actually adding one in.

message 24: by Emily (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily Samantha wrote: "The book ended with a huge cop out because Stephenie Meyer couldn't bring herself to kill any of her characters. So she just had them talk it out in a tense matter, and expect the fairytale ending ..."

That's exactly how I felt

BubblesTheMonkey I really liked the last one... I'm not exactly sure if it wasn't anticlimatic, though.

message 26: by Rob (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rob Maybe it was because I'd started with The Host and was used to Stephenie Meyer writing stories that defied expectations, but to me the point of how Breaking Dawn ended was to comment on how everyone expects that a good versus evil conflict must be settled with a righteous ass-kicking or by going down fighting.

The way BD ended, from memory, was Stephenie's attempt to say that truth and knowledge are more powerful than fists, teeth and swords, and that in the end, all evil really relies upon is the support of the afraid and the misinformed. Take those away and evil wavers.

And perhaps, letting evil ones go away to think again is better than judging them irredeemably evil and justifying you murdering them.

Still, it's been a while, and maybe The Host left me with rose coloured glasses.

message 27: by Nels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nels Paulson Rob, while that may be true, the belief that simply knowledge would destroy the hold the Evil Volturi is a little diluted. By letting them walk away the Volutri are allowed to continue. The Cullens will never be stronger, and the Volturi never weaker. Anything that didn't end in a fight would only cause the Volturi to win in the future. All that would be needed is to pick off the allies one by one. Even the Cullen clan knows that without help they do not stand a chance in a fight and i include the Pack in the Cullen clan.

lasharna totally! it got reli borin cuz there was no action but they r changin the ending for the film so it wud b different!

message 29: by Rob (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rob I see what you mean, Nels. Still, after being shown to have been wrong (or at least manipulative) about the whole children of vampires bit, I thought the Volturi *were* weakened. Not fatally, not cripplingly, but enough to show that they aren't completely invincible - the sort of thing that could well lead to their gradual decline instead of their quick and bloody defeat.

Any other flaws aside, that's one of the things I actually like about Stephenie Meyer's fiction - she's willing to talk about hope over the long term, patience in the face of fear.

message 30: by Nels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nels Paulson The problem with setting up the Volturi as they did is they also set them up to be a group that is not willing to gradually decline, they have maintained their power for so long it is in who they are. They would not fade into the darkness.

The driving force in the series was the love story between Bella and Edward. Everything else was to add twists and turns to the series. The problem being that that story ended in Breaking dawn yet the story continued. Meyers found a new thing to drive the story, but wasn't sure how to handle it, so this is what we got.

message 31: by Nels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nels Paulson Many readers , including myself, loved the Host far more than the twilight series. The question is if SM will turn the one book into a series. Frankly i think she would ruin it, by adding. The book was a complete story, but like any good story there is always more you can do and add, it is just should you and would it add to the story or ruin what you already have. Many authors have made the mistake of turning Notelet to a Novel or a Novel to a Series when the extra material just isn't needed or fit and thus ruins a series for the sake of more pages.

Rebecca Gage Kirby wrote: "Janese wrote: "For those who mentioned the movie trailer where it looks as though a battle is about to commence, don't forget that in the book, Bella had some dreams about a battle. Perhaps that sc..."

I saw the trailer with Bella and Edward fighting and thought maybe it was a scene that Alice sees. Like the movie will show the big showdown that isn't in the book and it will end badly for the Cullens. Then Alice can say, "They're coming" or something like that and then the last part of the saga starts.

In answer to the original question, as a book I don't feel that it was anticlimactic. I didn't even notice that nothing had happened until someone pointed it out. But that doesn't really work in a movie, so I image they'll add some fight scenes, like the one I mentioned above to spice it up.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "I loved the first three Twilight books, but this one did not nearly live up to the first three. In the end, it seemed as if they got to the brink of what should have been a huge war, but they decid..."

Yes it was anticlimactic. I would have had renesme battle the italian vampires.

Samantha The Escapist Samantha wrote: "The book ended with a huge cop out because Stephenie Meyer couldn't bring herself to kill any of her characters. So she just had them talk it out in a tense matter, and expect the fairytale ending ..."

Well her rabid fans hadn't exactly been insisting on legitimacy thus far so...

Anyway, I didn't much care for the series, HATED New Moon more than most of the books I DID abandon.

But Breaking Dawn was shaping up to be decent, creepy stuff aside which, while not turning my crank also doesn't exactly turn my stomach. After the cop-out ending I mostly just refer to Breaking Dawn as "Blue Balls" in the series now.

message 35: by Jeni (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeni Yes. Ridiculously anti-climatic.

You can't spend hundreds of pages over several novels building tension and anticipation about the Volturi and how devastating their wrath can be if we do not a) make Bella a vampire and, b)show them we are not a threat, only to make a NEW point of tension with c) the appearance and revelation about Renesmee, and d) their wrath over her existence, only to have them meet in a field and say "Oh, I see. My bad. Have a nice day." and disappear.

I want this apocalyptic war!! grrrr.

So frustrating! The only really viable threat in these books is Victoria and the Volturi. The tension is a motivator, a catalyst to make us want to root for the good guys. What happened was a huge letdown for me. I was severely disappointed and felt really cheated on both fronts.

grrrrr!

Kristin Mclemore Emily wrote: "I loved the first three Twilight books, but this one did not nearly live up to the first three. In the end, it seemed as if they got to the brink of what should have been a huge war, but they decid..."

Absolutely!! I read the end and was like, you have to be kidding me!! I was expecting some BA fight scene at the end with the Cullens coming out on top of course but still. I'm glad they revised it for the movie, can't wait to see it!!!

Noodles I actually thought there would be other books after this one when I first read it and was shocked to find that this was it. It's as Nels said it's like she set up this whole thing with the Volturi, but couldn't come up with a tidy conclusion for Breaking Dawn and didn't know how to pan it out for the time it would take to create a satisfying end. And I'm not even talking about a happy fairy tale end either. She could have had all the good guys die in horrible bloodthirsty ways and it still would have been better then what we got. At least it would have been a conclusion.

It left me wanting more, but in a bad and unfulfilled way.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

This book happens to be my favorite in the whole series. Edward and Bella have been wait so long for everything that happen in this book. It kind of just sums up their whole relationship. A lot of my favorite moments in the series have happen in this book like the wedding and the honeymoon. Overall Breaking Dawn is my favorite book, ad I don't understand why any of you don't like it

Samantha The Escapist Abby wrote: "This book happens to be my favorite in the whole series. Edward and Bella have been wait so long for everything that happen in this book. It kind of just sums up their whole relationship. A lot of ..."

Well for me it's because Edward and Bella's relationship was hollow and unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, I like a shallow romance now and then but they did nothing for me. So all I had to hope for was some action because the Jacob stuff was getting tired by then too.

I actually remember after she was turned and they were just gallivanting I tried asking my friend permission to stop reading but she told me the end was worth it...

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I think they did a got job of making the movie as close to the book as possible.

Samantha The Escapist I really am not trying to sit here and trash it, I just want to discuss but I thought part 1 was very boring.

In fact as much as I don't really like the Twilight books I've been saying since it was announced that the 4th book could definitely fill up two movies and the fans should get what they want etc. But after watching Part 1 I changed my mind. I just don't think any movie needs a 12 full minute wedding scene unless it's a wedding movie and something funny happens.

I won't even sit through a youtube video that's longer than 5...

Moreover I think they're going to have to do a lot of cramming in the second movie now, I think they should have covered more book in Part 1.

message 43: by Diamond (new) - added it

Diamond what is that?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I wanted a fight scene. They were just talking sighs

Lauren I would've liked a little something more to happen in this book instead of other things for sure. Like always, I like the little comical things thrown in here, but I ended skipping the last 50 pages or so and reading the page because I knew it would mostly be explained in the movie. I found I slacked off more on this book whereas I devoured the first three.