Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > October Monthly Read Nominations.

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the nominations' thread for our upcoming October monthly read.

This is open to all writers and all genres and, as always, there is one nomination per member.

This thread will remain open until midnight September 25 Irish time, after which the thread will be closed and the poll will be compiled.

I look forward to your nominations.

Declan. :)

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary Kelly This is probably a long shot, because William Faulkner is known to be 'challenging', but I'd like to recommend Absalom, Absalom!.

message 3: by Connieb (new)

message 4: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Since Halloween is in October how about a horror novel? I nominate House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (RichardSutton) As a segue from 1916 -- how about Uris' Trinity?

message 6: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments ok this is my first nom , an perhaps October Moon keeping up with the Halloween

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Long (oEmmao) how about E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial In His Adventure on Earth by William Kotzwinkle , in keeping with the Halloween theme? i only realised this was a book too, after reading a brilliant short novel by him called SWIMMER IN THE SECRET SEA. :)

also, ET is 30 this year! lol ;)

message 8: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre I've always wanted to read Mary Shelly's Frankenstein... so there's my nomination

message 9: by Ted (last edited Sep 23, 2012 07:59AM) (new)

Ted | 133 comments Picking up on Gary's recommendation:

It's been ages since I've read any of Faulkner's novels, and I wouldn't mind reading or re-reading any of them. But I do remember that Absalom, Absalom! really is a difficult one, especially for first-readers of F.

So I'll nominate an earlier novel of his which is probably somewhat more accessible (and maybe even somewhat humorous), As I Lay Dying.

Incidentally, a good introduction to Faulkner, still readily available, is The Portable Faulkner. Clifton Fadiman has called the introduction to this volume, by Malcolm Cowley, "perhaps the finest short estimate" of Faulkner, and terms it a "classic".

message 10: by Seamus (new)

Seamus | 13 comments I suggest David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas to conincide with the movie release

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Russell (vanessarussell) While I was living in Ireland, a great book reader recommended Niall Williams's Four Letters of Love. He even gave me his copy and said I must read it, but I didn't get a chance. I'd love to read it now.

message 12: by I-like-to-read (last edited Sep 24, 2012 01:41AM) (new)

I-like-to-read (AKAKate) I would like to nominate The Fear Index I'm reading it at the mo, and it's a jolly good read.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

This is probably the best and most varied selection we've ever had. I have to say, I'm really enjoying seeing the nominations as they get posted.

But that might say more about how eventful my days have been, of late.

message 14: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 19 comments Not sure if you generally nominate books that you have read and liked, or books you haven't read but would like to ?.. but i guess i'll just jump in and nominate a book i haven't read but am looking forward to ... Parade's End, Ford Madox Ford ... maybe a bit big as a tetralogy but could be separated into four?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This thread has now been closed and the poll will be assembled shortly.

Thank you all for your nominations.

Declan.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.