David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archive's > Help! What should I read or buy next!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments Are you almost done with a book and need some thoughts on what to pick up next? Post here that you are looking or help someone out!

I am just starting City of Lost Souls. Book 5 of TMI. Should I continue with TID or move onto something else and go back to TID later?

If I should move on, what books do you recommend?

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (frogluv3r) | 458 comments Have you read The House of Night series?

message 3: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Have you read her prequel books, Clockwork Angel, Prince, and Princess? I recommend reading them before reading City of Lost souls. It helps fill in some of the backstory :)

message 4: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments David wrote: "Have you read her prequel books, Clockwork Angel, Prince, and Princess? I recommend reading them before reading City of Lost souls. It helps fill in some of the backstory :)"

That is what TID is ;)

message 5: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments Tina wrote: "Have you read The House of Night series?"

Nope. Gotta look it up!

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Dvora (Mrs. Cullen Grey) wrote: "David wrote: "Have you read her prequel books, Clockwork Angel, Prince, and Princess? I recommend reading them before reading City of Lost souls. It helps fill in some of the backstory :)"

That is..."

Lol I vote for TID then ;) Which ones do you still have to read?

message 7: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

OK, I need help deciding what to read too! I'm about to finish Under the Never Sky and I'm not sure what to read next. I recently bought Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore and Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

Anyone read any of those?

message 8: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments I don't have any of those, but awesome covers!!

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments David wrote: "OK, I need help deciding what to read too! I'm about to finish Under the Never Sky and I'm not sure what to read next. I recently bought Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore an..."

Unwind!!! It's a bit disturbing but's it's really good. Of course, I haven't read the other two, tho I've heard great things of DoSaB and just got a copy. Unwind is really quite good. I think you'll enjoy it David.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave Ferraro (ferraro) I'm reading "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" right now - it's pretty awesome. Very unique with a great protagonist. All three books look like good choices :)

message 11: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebekahc) I agree with Brooke, Unwind is really good! Exceptionally creepy but totally awesome at the same time :)

message 12: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Awesome, thanks all! I'll start with Unwind and then DoSB. Bitterblue will be last and then I have to reload :)

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina (frogluv3r) | 458 comments DoSB is really good. I haven't read it in a while, but I am thinking of reading it again since I just received the next book in the mail!!! LOL

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Lol cool, can't wait!! I started Unwind and ten percent in I'm crazy-disturbed/intrigued. I'm really going to like this one!!! Thanks everyone!

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments I always have way to many books and can almost never decide what to read next so I can see this thread is going to come in handy. For now though the choice is easy... as I just finished The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers, #1) by David Estes its onto The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2) by David Estes for me!

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments Dvora (Mrs. Cullen Grey) wrote: "Are you almost done with a book and need some thoughts on what to pick up next? Post here that you are looking or help someone out!

I am just starting City of Lost Souls. Book 5 of TMI. Should I c..."

If you haven't started anything else yet I vote for TID.

message 17: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Catherine wrote: "I always have way to many books and can almost never decide what to read next so I can see this thread is going to come in handy. For now though the choice is easy... as I just finished [bookcover:..."

Aww thank youuuu! I feel honored to have a spot in your list at all!

And ooh, I love TID! I still have to read the third book in it :)

message 18: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 67 comments Loved

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young

message 19: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Omg just read Unwind recently, it was so good! Have you read the sequel yet? It's even better! And Blood Red Road was awesome too! I just read the sequel to that too which wasn't as good but still completely worth reading :)

I'll have to check out Ashes.

What are you reading next Cheer?

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Cheer wrote: "Loved

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal ShustermanAshes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. BickBlood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young"

Loved, loved Ashes and the sequel Shadows! Also Unwind and its sequel, Unwholly! Definitely read Ashes, David! ;-)

I'm reading The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater . Good so far!

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1856 comments Sickened by Julie Gregory

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "Cheer wrote: "Loved

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal ShustermanAshes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. BickBlood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young"

Loved, loved Ashes and the sequel Shadows! Also Unwind and its sequel, Unwholly! Definit..."

Cool thanks, I will then :) Ooh I've been wanting to read Raven Boys!

message 23: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Christine wrote: "Sickened by Julie Gregory"

How is it?

message 24: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 7 comments I loved the Raven Boys...if you like Maggie's writing, I think this is one of her best. She is so beautifully descriptive and lyrical with her word choices. It is definitely the beginning of an awesome series.

I would recommend Unraveling (Unraveling, #1) by Elizabeth Norris and Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

OR if you're looking for some good intellectual humour in a contemporary book, go for An Abundance of Katherines by John Green . Actually, I will fully endorse anything written by John Green.

I'm just about to start Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover . Has anyone read them yet? Thoughts?

message 25: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments I have a B&N coupon. Looking for some suggestions. :)

message 26: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Jeanette wrote: "I loved the Raven Boys...if you like Maggie's writing, I think this is one of her best. She is so beautifully descriptive and lyrical with her word choices. It is definitely the beginning of an a..."

Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover is awesome! You need a box of tissue, just in case. ;)

message 27: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 67 comments I just read Kahayatle and I'm reading the 2nd book Warpaint

I was told I need to re-read
Ashes before I read Shadows

message 28: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 67 comments Some other worthy YA books:

AshfallAshen Winter

Poison Princess

Birthmarked Prized and I'm going to read Tortured

message 29: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 67 comments I read UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman

And if you read Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young don't let the way they speak turn you off...you get past it. The sequel Is great as well.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (aimzees02) OMG the Birthmarked trilogy is AMAZING!! But lets see... If you're looking for other David Estes-esque stuff, try The Enclave, Legend, Divergent, Delirium, The Declaration, and Article 5 :)

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Cheer wrote: "I read UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman

And if you read Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young don't let the way they speak turn you off...you get past it. The sequel Is great as well."

Omg loved UnWholly even better than Unwind. And yes, BRR is so good and the slang feels so real. Wait till you read my next book, Fire Country (Country Saga, #1) by David Estes you'll have to get used to some slang there too!

message 32: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Amy wrote: "OMG the Birthmarked trilogy is AMAZING!! But lets see... If you're looking for other David Estes-esque stuff, try The Enclave, Legend, Divergent, Delirium, The Declaration, and Article 5 :)"

Haha! I love it David Estes-esque! Yep, definitely my types of books, although I like a bit of everything, dystopians my fave!

message 33: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 67 comments I've read all of those, I guess we are David Estes-esque junkies! I love Dystopian and Post-apocalyptic.

message 34: by Cheer (last edited Dec 06, 2012 11:08PM) (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 67 comments Tomorrow I'll start The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2) by David Estes . Can't wait!

message 35: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Aww thank you Cheer!! Enjoy ;)

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy (aimzees02) Cheer, I totally agree :) although lately I've been getting into some good sci-fi & paranormal... I'm loving the "Shade" trilogy and I just finished "House of the Scorpion"

message 37: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 25 comments I was wondering about the book "The Edge of Never" if anyone has read it and what they think. Was wondering because I am deciding whether to buy it or not?

message 38: by Nicole (last edited Dec 09, 2012 07:04PM) (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 107 comments Read The Night Circus. It was fantastic! A real piece of art.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor

Just finished the second one in that series and it's very unique and imaginative . Just like the first.

The other best kept gem the the Eden Series by Janelle.
Eden (Eden #1) by Janelle Stalder Eden-West (Eden #2) by Janelle Stalder

I just finished the beta on that one a couple of weeks back. And it is really special. David I think you would really like it.

message 39: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Aw cool, thanks Nic :)

Brittany, I've heard really good things but haven't read it :)

message 40: by Meggie (new)

Meggie (meggieandalis) | 4 comments I've just read Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study by Maria Snyder and now I'm in need of Fantasy, historical YA!!! and before you recommend any books I don't want to read any of Snyder's other books. Somehow I find it betraying Yelena of the Study Trilogy to read a book with the same author but different main character. I will end up hating the main character no matter what and compare her to Yelena. Odd, I know, but that's how I am. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to read Snyder's other books. So for now, help me out of my misery!!!!

message 41: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I have heard Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers is really good. I do own the book, but haven't read it yet, but I heard great things about it. Also I would recommend Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore , which is also fantasy, but still very character based.

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1856 comments I wouldn't like to read those books

message 43: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Lolita wrote: "I have heard Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers is really good. I do own the book, but haven't read it yet, but I heard great things about it. Also I would recommend Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore, whi..."

Ooh yes Graceling is awesome!!

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments Brittany wrote: "I was wondering about the book "The Edge of Never" if anyone has read it and what they think. Was wondering because I am deciding whether to buy it or not?"

I LOVED The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never, #1) by J.A. Redmerski ! Its one of my all time favourite books!

message 45: by chucklesthescot (last edited Jul 12, 2013 05:37AM) (new)

chucklesthescot I'd like to recommend a book that could appeal to pretty much everyone. When you read the goodreads description, it doesn't really do justice to the book. It is a good v evil story with elements of urban fantasy, fantasy, science fiction, romance, thriller and paranormal in it. Beautifully written as well. Why not take a look? (jeez I sound like an agent don't I!!!)

The Beholder

my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

The Beholder by Ivan Amberlake

message 46: by chucklesthescot (last edited Jul 12, 2013 05:37AM) (new)

chucklesthescot I'm also going to recommend a book that blends urban fantasy with Greek mythology and a touch of horror. You don't need to know lots about Greek mythology(or anything at all) to read this book as the past and present are combined perfectly and fully explained without big info dumps!

Godhead

my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Godhead by Ken Mooney

message 47: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot And one that I've just finished today. It is a dystopian paranormal book with great characters and a good v evil fight. Excellent start to a series:

Genesis (XII Saga, #1) by Jason Rowe

My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 48: by Carl (new)

Carl Schierhorn (cschierh) | 20 comments Nicole wrote: "Read The Night Circus. It was fantastic! A real piece of art.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1) by Laini TaylorDays of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2) by Laini Taylor

Just..."
The Night Circus is one of the best books I've read in 10 years. More magical than fantasy in every sense of the word. No dystopia here, just a wonderful story with wonderful characters in a wonderful setting.

message 49: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Carl wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Read The Night Circus. It was fantastic! A real piece of art.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1) by Laini Taylor[bookcover:Days of Blood & Starlight|..."

I loved that book!!

message 50: by Christine (new)

« previous 1