Read by Theme discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
Book Discussions > Ready Player One, by Earnest Cline

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (terzahcain) | 40 comments I picked this book because the idea of writing a book from the viewpoint of a video game was intriguing. The book does not disappoint. I thought it would be difficult to stay interested, but it turns out the book offers more than just video game lore and nostalgia. There's great elements of dystopia because - get this - the main character lives in the "stacks." Stacks are trailer homes stacked using metal frames ... a development that spawned out of the failed economy that the future-world he lives in. By future world I mean ... not to far into the future.

It also offers the feel of those old Horatio Alger books as the impoverished protagonist struggles to overcome the environment he lives in through what is known as OASIS ... a video environment that most of the society world-wide now virtually lives in with it's own economy of virtual products. Sound familiar? He is first to crack open a decade old contest with the prize to inherit the riches of the OASIS creator - a Howard Hughes meets Bill Gates sort of guy.

I won't give away the rest, but I highly recommend this story.

message 2: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments LOL, I just read the blurb on ISBN 9780307887436, and it instantly reminded me of Spy Kids 3. For some reason, that struck me as hilarious.

But it looks interesting; adding it to my "maybe-someday" shelf.

Candace | 59 comments I've added this to my to-read shelf. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Amy!

Bevin Kutluoglu Just picked this up from the library (finally). Guess I'm a little late for this theme ... but based on your synopsis, plus what's on the jacket, I'm pretty stoked to read it!