Where's George? Readers discussion

Choosing a Book to Read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments While driving home from work today I was flipping stations & came across an interview on NPR radio with a Norwegian author whose 6 volume life story was just translated into English. Though I'm not familiar with the person, or what he could have done to merit 6 volumes, the interview was so well done, and the author so well spoken I added volume 1 to my "To read" list.
My Struggle Book One by Karl Ove Knausgård

That got me thinking about how people choose what to read. For me, most are probably recommendations from friends whose tastes are similar to mine. Some are based on reviews I've read, or interviews I've heard. I've gone back and reread some of the books I had to read in school, and found I've enjoyed some of them. I will check every so often my online friend's bookshelves! I've even randomly pulled books from the shelf at the library merely because I liked the title, or the cover.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 372 comments Mod
Right now my reading is dedicated by book clubs. If I like a book I seem to find recommendations. Reviews, lists, and browsing work. It is amazing how a book can end up in your hands.

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (trickpony1820) | 20 comments I pick books recommended by friends, books given away for free here on GoodReads, books by authors I know, books I see on the shelf at Barnes and Noble (though I don't usually buy them the same day I see them), and books I find at the used book sales in our area. Often, I have more books available to me than time to read them, but it doesn't stop me from adding to the list.

message 4: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 159 comments Mod
Hi Kristin, I also have way more books than I could currently read. I am trying. But friends of the library book sales make the attempt even harder. ;-)

Welcome to the group.

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (trickpony1820) | 20 comments Those are the kind of book sales that are my weakness and there are 2 of them in our area. One has been the week we're in Florida for the last few years, or I'd have twice as many books on my 'own but haven't read yet' list.

message 6: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 30 comments Right now I am just trying to do sequels. Once I start a series I like to finish it.....well perhaps Robert Jordan was an exception as I'd had enough after book 9.
Anyway, currently working on the George. R. R. Martin series, "A Song of Ice & Fire" starting book 4 "A Feast for Crows"
Otherwise I try out a book I am recommended or I see something posted about it here.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) @Jocelyn: A lot of Jordan's fans will tell you that books 8-10 really lose the plot, and book 10 seems to be the consensus choice for worst book in the series. But if you stick with it, book 11 rediscovers a lot of what caught on with people in the first place and is a lot of people's favorite, and I haven't seen anything bad said about 12 or 13.

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 372 comments Mod
Kristin wrote: "Those are the kind of book sales that are my weakness and there are 2 of them in our area. One has been the week we're in Florida for the last few years, or I'd have twice as many books on my 'own ..."

We have a large Friends of the Library book sale. Friday night is Friends only, Saturday is open to the public, and Sunday is $5 a brown paper grocery bag. Very, very, very dangerous. I need to read what I have and return them.