SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
All Book Discussions > Life of Pi (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
The discussion thread for our August BoM. Please avoid spoilers, or use the spoiler tag to hide them: < spoiler> spoiler>

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Sep 21, 2012 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
I have this one, so I will probably be reading it.
It will be October right? Lu, your message says August.

message 3: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol yea October. I think I'll also read this one :)

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Sep 22, 2012 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I have this edition: Life of Pi by Yann Martel .
Is there a suggestion for a date to start on? Do we start on the first or later?
And do we keep a schedule. I see that there are 100 chapters and 428 pages. Do we divide that or are we just gonna see where the mood takes us?

Lauren Smith OK, I've got a copy from NetGalley so I'll join in.

I'm terrible with schedules, so whether or not we have one, I doubt I'd stick to it. Also, I'm going home at the end of September.

message 6: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Hi :)

Also got the Netgalley version.

Not sure when yet, let's get to October first and see :)
We could do 12 chapters a day?

Lauren Smith I might do less. It sounds like the kind of book where I'd make a lot of notes.

message 8: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Then maybe we can work on 10 and see how that goes :)

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:55AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Exactly what I expected you would say. :)
I know you are bad with schedules, Lauren, but also that Lu would be in favor of one. I think 10 chapters is a good idea. That way you can keep up, Lauren, even if you are at home. If we would read it when you were back in Addis then there could be a problem, because we also agreed to read Contact at the end of October. That is why I brought it up so we could think about how to do this. :)

Lauren Smith Ok, so 10 or 12 chapters a day and I'll try to keep up, but don't worry if I don't :)

message 11: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Good stuff :)

message 12: by Riana (last edited Sep 24, 2012 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Riana | 397 comments I have been so out of the game lately, we are heading into silly season at work, but I will definately be making time to join in again for a change!

message 13: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yay :)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments I'm in :)

message 15: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Fantastic!

Cool, we are getting a lot of people for this book!
I love it!

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments Since I'm new to this group, this will be my first BoM. I've had this on my shelf for ages and this is just the kick I need to finally tackle it. I'm so in :)

Riana | 397 comments I am only half way with this book now! Part of it is because I do not really have the time to read as much as I usually do at this time of the year, but I must admit a part is of a lack of interest. There has been a few "a-ha" moments, but I am just not getting into the story line of things. How about the rest of you guys?

message 19: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
So far I'm enjoying it. I find religion interesting so reading about it is nice :)

There is a whole discussion going in the spoiler section about this book.

I have finished it but it took some doing. I was pretty much annoyed by the introduction about the zoos and religion and just couldn't less care about Pi. I found it unbelievable and anrelatable. In the end there was a part I liked but that was too little too late.

Nadine May (nadinemay) | 41 comments I read that books years ago and remembered that I enjoyed it. Very different.

message 22: by Lise (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lise | 9 comments I absolutely love this book. I read it years ago and it is one of those that had a real impact on me. I adore books that involve India and I had actually visited Pondicherry before. I found the slight fantasy aspect to be intriguing and sifting through the metaphor was enlightening. Also, Martel's writing is beautiful while being very easy to read. Enjoy!