SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Casual Vacancy
This topic is about The Casual Vacancy
All Book Discussions > The Casual Vacancy (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
A discussion thread for our August BoM. Spoilers are permitted.

message 2: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Anyone gonna join me?

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Sorry even though I am quite curious the book is still a bit expensive. I will wait untill it is released in a cheaper edition. :)
I did see an interview with J.K. Rowling on the eve of the release and she read some of the book. It is totally different from HP. So you might be in for a big shock. :)

message 4: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Hheh yea I'm prepared for a completely different book :)

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Good, because you will be wondering if it is even the same author.

message 6: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I got the audio book! 18 hours here I come :)

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Who is the narrator?

message 8: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Tom Hollander

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
I am reading it; so far I have fallen asleep twice. At this rate it will take me a month to read the book but I will be very well rested. Lu do you think we should do a comparative review for the blog? Unless you are also falling asleep, then our blog will just have to be audio of two people snoring!!

P.S If anyone wants a copy in epud or mobi give me a shout.

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments I have the epub as well and I'm planning on starting it sometime this week; I'll jump in with my thoughts then.

message 12: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Not falling asleep but only at about 33%
We will have to see what we feel like when it is finished :)

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "I am reading it; so far I have fallen asleep twice. At this rate it will take me a month to read the book but I will be very well rested. Lu do you think we should do a comparative review for the b..."

Well at least you are getting some sleep and you do need it. :)

message 14: by Emma (last edited Oct 08, 2012 12:27AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I was watching sky news the other day and one woman who is a speed reader, read this book in 45 minutes! She actually enjoyed the book too lol Think of how many books you could read in a lifetime if you were a speed reader :-)

Does anyone else hate the cover of this book? I wonder if she purposefully diverted from the colorful HP books to the blandness of this one.I dont find it very striking, but with a name like JK Rowling she hardly needs a good cover to sell books.

message 15: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I hate the cover!
It is as if a Gryffindor had to die to make that cover...

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I was very surprised at how bland and ugly the cover is. I thought a big name like J.K. Rowling would get something much more stylish.

I read a review of this in the paper. Like Lauren F, the reviewer also found it very boring. I thought she was being a bit unfair though; she kept comparing it to Harry Potter. It's fine to do that up to a point, but this is a totally different book and should be judged on its own merits.

message 17: by Lu (last edited Oct 08, 2012 12:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Yea you have to read this as completely separate. I do find it a bit boring, but very interesting. Her writing is good as ever and I am curious to see where it will go.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Boring but very interesting? Lol :)

message 19: by Lauren (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Oct 08, 2012 01:06AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

*Chuckles* Lu you diehard fan girl!

Just to clarify it was the other reviewer not me that compared this book to Harry Potter, I have never read the series. I don't find her writing particularly good; I can be forgiving of this in certain genres but not in this one.

But now that I have finished this book and seen the pointlessness of the whole story I am a little mad you guys made me read it! lol

I have posted my review if you are interested there are no spoilers.

message 20: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Boring but very interesting? Lol :)"

Well you see she tells from the point of view of various people. Some people I love to hear about, the rest not so much.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Well you see she tells from the point of view of various people. Some people I love to hear about, the rest not so much."

Ah, I think the newspaper reviewer had a similar problem, although she disliked most of the characters and how they all seem to dislike each other.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Read your review Lauren; I think you and the newspaper reviewer feel the same way, with the exception of the Harry Potter stuff. I don't think I'd give this a try. From what you said I think I'd be bored stiff too.

Yeah she really just goes on and on about these terrible people for ages but never comes to any real conclusions. There is no "moral" to this story or insight to be taken from it. I would be very interested to hear if someone did find something insightful about this book.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

In the interview I saw with her she talked about that she had written a book about some problems in society and that there were no ready made solutions for these problems. She said that it wasn't her job as an author to solve these problems. She just wanted to highlight them. Maybe that is why she doesn't come to any real conclusions.

message 25: by Lauren (last edited Oct 08, 2012 05:30AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Barbara wrote: "In the interview I saw with her she talked about that she had written a book about some problems in society and that there were no ready made solutions for these problems. She said that it wasn't h..."

I'm ok with that in novels. I think Salman Rushdie said something similar about the political and religious conflict in his novels. The premise of Rowling's novel already sounds really dull to me though, so I was curious to see if she told the story with some flair or intrigue, some sort of quirky feature or an unforgettable ending. But I get the impression that there's none of that. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it just sounds too real for me.

Lauren wrote: "Barbara wrote: "In the interview I saw with her she talked about that she had written a book about some problems in society and that there were no ready made solutions for these problems. She said ..."

The problem is that the problems she is commenting on are not new or undocumented and if she doesn't have a new angle or insight then it is a little like writing a book about how the sky is blue and then expecting people to be excited that you noticed.

message 27: by Barbara (last edited Oct 08, 2012 07:55AM) (new)

The sky is blue?????????

I agree. I just wanted to say that she sort of said in advance that she wasn't going to solve anything in her book. So that there was a reason she didn't gave any conlcusions.

message 28: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
So which characters does anyone like so far?

message 29: by Lauren (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Oct 08, 2012 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

The only character I liked was Barry, the guy who dies in the first chapter, he is the only one who seems to care about other people. Which characters do you like?

message 30: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I like reading about Kay - she is so screwed in her relationship but I think she tries her best with her work etc.

I also like Sam - she is such a bitch but it makes for good reading.

message 31: by Lu (last edited Oct 12, 2012 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I am done:

I could not have been more wrong about this book. What starts out as a boring and dull book about everyday peoples lives and problems, become something much much more.

I actually have tears in my eyes as I am typing this to you guys. I didn't realize what JK Rowling was doing. Dragging you in, making you part of these peoples lives and before you know it you feel for them, you know them and it all ends in a fantastic novel that took me completely by surprise. I through this was gonna be something that got a 1 star from me. I could not have been more wrong.

A book about nothing really but peoples lives that will stay with me for a long long time.

5 stars

Say what?
Where did it start getting awesome for you?

message 33: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Rofl Lauren and I just had a big discussion on the phone :P

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments Finally starting this one. Contrasting opinions here, so it should be interesting.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Rofl Lauren and I just had a big discussion on the phone :P"

You can't say that and not share some of it! That's what the discussion thread is for, after all.

message 36: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Lol it was just about why we loved/hated it :)