Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
This topic is about City of Ashes
Book Issues > Wrongfully combined

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments Hi there fellow Librarians,

someone seems to have combined all the actual books in the series with the respective mini-stories and out-takes available. I'm combing my way through, but if you could go and check too, maybe I've missed some. And perhaps there's more like these out there in other Series...

Thanks guys.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43615 comments Mod
That's because the mini-stories and outtakes should not have been added as books at all, and are getting merged.

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Oops, I just separated all of them.

I thought we'd established previously that they were okay because they are "eBooks"?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Not book extras. Not unless they have either been actually published (i.e., released via Kindle, Nook, etc.) or the author otherwise designates them as separate works. Neither applies in this case, and someone is supposed to be deleting them shortly, so please combine them back so the deletions will be merges.

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments Thanks rivka, though I'm still confused, and thanks Vicky, for your help, nonetheless. I'll combine them, seeing as I caused the confusion.

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I have a few combines running on them, but they are going awfully slow at the moment. :s

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments rivka wrote: "Not book extras. Not unless they have either been actually published (i.e., released via Kindle, Nook, etc.) or the author otherwise designates them as separate works. Neither applies in this case,..."

So deleted scenes / "slices of life" "published" on the author website should not be on GR?

As Vicky mentions I was under the impression that these where "published" shorts

So do items like this belong

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/85...

http://www.jrward.com/bdb/index-slice...

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That one is a bit different, as it's not an extra to a specific book.

It's also substantially longer. I would keep that one, but please stop separating out the Clare ones. Just makes more work for me and Kara to have to recombine them.

message 9: by Vicky (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:11AM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Rivka -

Are these going to be merged by an automated process or is it something I (or another super) can go ahead and do? I got a message from another librarian requesting for me to un-combine them since I was the last one on the log combining them since they were different works... and they seem to be causing a lot of confusion with people re-separating them.

She also mentioned that only super librarians could separate the editions? Was that a fail safe put in for this particular situation?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Vicky wrote: "She also mentioned that only super librarians could separate the editions?"

I don't think that is correct.

Deleting them from the front end is timing out. They need to be deleted from the back end.

message 11: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments rivka wrote: "Vicky wrote: "She also mentioned that only super librarians could separate the editions?"

I don't think that is correct.

Deleting them from the front end is timing out. They need to be deleted f..."

Fair enough!

I went through, re-combined them all and added notes to not separate. Hopefully that will keep them combined until they can be gotten to! :)

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Thank you!

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Gray (CarolynGray) | 1 comments Okay so I thought I knew what I was doing - obviously, I did not, and combined my two books together rather than each book's two versions. Can you guys help out a dork here?

I really should stay off GoodReads while I am working. Thank you!

message 14: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Carolyn wrote: "Okay so I thought I knew what I was doing - obviously, I did not, and combined my two books together rather than each book's two versions. Can you guys help out a dork here?

I really should stay ..."

For the future it is easier to start a new thread than to request a change in an already established thread - but I uncombined your books for you.

message 15: by Merary (new)

Merary | 6 comments I know this discussion ended, but I still have a question:
What about the Twilight outtakes?
Don't they count too, if this was the case?

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

"Missing scenes" of any book, unless published via a publisher OR designated a book by the author (and published on their site or wherever) would not be books.

message 17: by Merary (new)

Merary | 6 comments rivka wrote: ""Missing scenes" of any book, unless published via a publisher OR designated a book by the author (and published on their site or wherever) would not be books."

But, as far as I was concerned, the CoB outtakes/extras were published on Clare's website.
Or do I missed something?

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

They were not designated as books, but as parts of books.

message 19: by Merary (new)

Merary | 6 comments . . . Still confused. :(

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Only books in their entirety are included in the GR database. Think of those outtakes as excepts from books. We wouldn't include an excerpt of a book because it isn't, in itself, a book. (Quotes being an exception to the rule, of course.)

Does that make sense?

message 21: by Merary (new)

Merary | 6 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "Only books in their entirety are included in the GR database. Think of those outtakes as excepts from books. We wouldn't include an excerpt of a book because it isn't, in itself, a book. (Quotes..."

. . . Kind of, I guess.

Sarah (sarahsreviews) | 24 comments I'm finding this very confusing because they aren't actually scenes that can be found most copies of the books. They are deleted scenes and extras that Clare added to her website. In some cases they have been included in later special versions or added to the next book in the series as a bonus extra but they aren't part of the original book at all.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter in the long run but it does make things confusing - especially the way you combined my reviews because they now read like complete rubbish and it screwed up the dates I read the books and the shelves they were on.