Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Peeta being captured...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hayley I think it's weird that during the quarter quell everyone is putting their lives at risk to make sure Peeta and Katniss both make it out ok (Katniss because they need her to be the mockingjay, and Peeta just because they know Katniss won't cooperate without him) and yet the hovercraft fails to rescue Peeta and he is captured. What if president snow had just straight up killed him? Then Katniss would have never cooperated. It just seems careless. You'd think they would take the extra couple seconds to hover on over and pick him up too! What do you think?

Sara Yeah I kinda agree with Hayley everyone put there lives at risk in The Quarter Quell but Peeta still ends up being captured. That was brilliant protecting! LOL!

Line The only reason Collins wrote it aas such, is because she needs Peeta to try and kill Katniss in the last book.

It has never made much sense to me, that Peeta and Katniss had to go there... It's one of the things I hate the most about the books... It have never made any kind of sense to me...

message 4: by David (last edited Sep 24, 2012 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Well, Katniss would have had Gale then so she'd fight on behalf of Peeta. He'd be a martyr with your scenario.

Hayley Well the 2 people they needed to keep alive for the uprising were Katniss and Peeta. Katniss had to be the mockingjay and they knew they had to keep Peeta safe for her. Everyone else was expendable, so how did they manage to rescue Beetee and Finnick and leave Peeta who was much more important! I mean I love Beetee and Finnick but it just seems careless that they'd leave Peeta behind. I know he had to be captured to make the book more interesting and hijack him, but it's not really believable to me. But I know I'm reading way too far into it :P

message 6: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 03, 2013 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth Day Well the Capital knew when they captured Peeta to keep him alive. It's like the way Katniss compares it to the flashlight game she plays with Buttercup: if the flashlight goes out completely, Buttercup is in total dispair but eventually gets over it, just like if Peeta died Katniss would be devastated but would move on eventually. If Buttercup has the flashlight's beam (or if he thinks he "has" it), then he is perfectly happy, just like how much Katniss wants Peeta to be with her. But if Buttercup can see the flashlight's beam but not reach it, he is in never-ending dispair, and such is the case with Katniss and Peeta: Katniss knows Peeta is alive with the Capital, but she can't have him with her, so she will never rest until he is there in District 13. Just like she describes it in the book.

David Elizabeth wrote: "Well the Capital knew when they captured Peeta to keep him alive. It's like the way Katniss compares it to the flashlight game she plays with Buttercup: if the flashlight goes out completely, Butte..."

EXACTLY!!!

Kyle The reason they weren't able to get Peeta was because he wasn't with Katniss. They rescued the group that was around her while the Capital managed to get everyone else. The sneak attack was really just a grab and run effort, there wasn't time for the hovercraft to locate and pick-up Peeta if they wanted to get out alive.
It would be like when you are trying to play a prank on a friend and snatch their pencil in class, while they aren't looking. You would take more (say their homework assignment) if you had more time, but you want to get away without being caught.

Kirby Kyle wrote: "The reason they weren't able to get Peeta was because he wasn't with Katniss. They rescued the group that was around her while the Capital managed to get everyone else. The sneak attack was reall..."

yeah, I remember haymitch blaming katniss for letting peeta out of her sight.

Isabella I guess maybe they didn't know that Katniss would be so reluctant to cooperate without him, and/or that they would have been shot down while they were trying to find him.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Jan 02, 2013 11:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Well,I think that when they rescued Katniss and Beetee they were together and as Haymitch said they parely managed to get out of there i think he meant that the Capitol`s could have bombed them if they haven`t left as soon as possible also it`s not like only Peeta have been captured but also Johanna and Enobaria which make sense cause Johanna was also part of the plan after all,i mean they should have rescued her with peeta if all of them were together in the first place.But of course that`s just my opinion