Global Book Selections discussion

2013 DISCUSSIONS > October 2012 Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena Alright, it's that time of the month to pick our next month's selections.

From time to time we'll have some bumpy readings, as we have recently discovered, but the group readings must go on. :) Afterall, this is what this group is all about, reading more global fiction and talking about it.

I plan on having more interactive discussions through out the rest of the year for the next months. But I always say and encourage anyone to bring up topics of discussion through the time of the month. I, personally, will try to 'bug' :) you daily, if not daily than every other day, with thoughts and discussions.

Alright, so now to the usual order of business. I am a few days late in this, and for this I apologize, but it's time to make our October 2012 Suggestions for what we will be reading. September we chose books from ASIA and SOUTH AMERICA... this means....

For the month of October we will be choosing from the following continents: NORTH AMERICA, EUROPE, AUSTRALIA/OCEANIA, and AFRICA.

Let's begin recommending books from NOW until the end of the weekend and then I will post the polls on MONDAY until THURSDAY which will leave us the weekend to get us started on getting our books.

message 2: by Val (last edited Sep 23, 2012 06:23AM) (new)

Val Africa.
It would be great if you can recommend a good author from Morocco Najat.
If you would prefer not to just yet, I am going suggest my Algerian author Assia Djebar again, because I think she is really good.
There was interest in Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from some members as well.

Europe.
I think someone suggested Jose Scaramago one month. He didn't win, but did get some votes, so might be worth including in the vote this time around. (He is from Portugal.)

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan I have always meant to read Perfume, so would love to read that. Can I also suggest for Europe:

The Door

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan North America :

Nemesis

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan As I feel guilty for never picking any Australian authors:

Office of Innocence: A Novel

message 8: by Val (new)

Val I don't very often either!
So here is a new(ish) one which got some good reviews:
Past the Shallows
for Australasia.

message 9: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (osso) | 10 comments Mod
Also Europe (British):

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

and

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

message 10: by Elena (new)

Elena Wow, you guys are amazing. I really didn't want to recommend anything this time around. I wanted you all to pick the selections for the vote. Plus, I wanted to read something I wouldn't normally choose :). I am so ecstatic with all the choices. Val, Susan, and Sonja, you guys are AMAZING! Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I am going to put together the poll right now. I am putting 2 choices for each continent. Cannot wait to see what we will read. The polls will end Thursday so we have time over the weekend to get our books :).

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan You are welcome Elemillia :)

message 12: by Elena (new)

Elena Hey guys! :) We officially have the final voting poll selection - THE SOLITUDE OF PRIME NUMBERS which is an Italian piece of fiction therefore reading from the European Continent this month.

I am excited about this book because I have had it for a while and I have been meaning to read it. I'm so glad it got picked.

This time around we do not have a close winner up or a tie so it is the only book we will be reading. ;)