Love Inspired Historicals discussion

What is your favorite old family recipe?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Hey, I'm hungry! Got any old family recipes with a history that you can share?

I'm going to dig one out. Hmmmm. Which one?

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 75 comments I have to locate it, and when I do, I'll share it. But here's the story behind it.

My grandmother always made the BEST SUGAR COOKIES ever. My mom can make them almost as good. Sadly I can't. But every Christmas when we would visit Grandma, the house would be filled with the yummy smell of sugar cookies. Frequently they were eaten before they had a chance to be iced.

message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra E. (debraemarvin) | 7 comments I just used it this weekend - it's my grandmother's scone recipe. This is a special treat that I've enjoyed my whole life. Perfect for a Saturday morning, warm, split and topped with butter and jam. They are substantial, light on the inside and tasty (but must be consumed within two days. too bad, huh?)

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Mine is for what my grandmother used to call oatmeal cookies. I know now they were Scottish oatcakes. They were so buttery but not too sweet with that faintly nutty taste of baked oats. They were so good with a cut of tea in the evening!

message 5: by Lyn (new)

I was thinking that we could make up a LIH Writers and Readers' Favorite Family Recipe booklet. What do you think?

message 6: by Lyn (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:14AM) (new)

My dh is half Slovenian and this is his family's favorite recipe, I should say TREASURED recipe.
I've modernized the dough part--use a bread maker and this is easy!

Potica, Slovenian Sweetbread
(pronounced Po teet za)

Ingredients
Dough:
Use bread maker recipe for sweet dough for 2 loaves. Use dough cycle and remove after first rise.
Filling:
1 cup sweet cream
1 cup sour cream
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 lb walnuts, finely ground
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites, beaten stiff

Directions
Dough:
Lightly grease one or two cookie sheets. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and roll Out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.
Filling:
Scald the sweet cream and butter. Pour over nuts.
Add honey, vanilla, lemon, cinnamon, cloves and sour cream.
Add yolks and stiffly beaten whites.
Add sugar and mix well with nuts.
Spread each piece with the filling. Roll each piece up like a jelly roll and pinch the ends. Place seam side down onto the prepared baking sheets. Let rise until double in volume. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

message 7: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:42AM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) | 222 comments My grandma and my mom always made these.

Cabbage Rolls

½ cup rice
1 small head cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 to 2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup hot water

Cook rice in boiling salted water for 10 minutes; drain. Trim soiled outer leaves from cabbage and discard; cut out core. Pour boiling water over cabbage and let stand 5 minutes or until leaves are pliable.

Remove from water, drain, and carefully remove whole large leaves from the head.

Meanwhile, combine beef with seasonings, beaten egg, and cooked rice. Place a portion of the meat mixture in the center of a cabbage leaf and fold the leaf over in envelope fashion, fastening with a toothpick.

Brown rolls slightly in butter in a heavy skillet. Add hot water, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) | 222 comments Hunter’s Stew

6 onions, chopped
½ cup shortening
3 pounds hamburger
3 quarts boiling water
12 stalks celery, chopped
4 carrots, diced
2 cups tomatoes
salt and pepper

Cook onions in fat until transparent, but not brown. Add hamburger and cook until heated thoroughly and slightly browned. Add water and simmer.

Combine vegetables and add an additional 3 quarts cold water and bring to boiling point. Add meat mixture and seasonings to taste. Cook until vegetables are tender.

Noodle Batter
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 ¼ cups flour
Beat eggs together until frothy. Add milk, salt and flour to make a thin batter.

Set a colander over boiling stew, pour in batter and press it through quickly.

Cook five minutes until noodles and the stew are done.

Serves 15.

message 9: by Lyn (new)

Oh, Cheryl,
How yummy! I'm going to try these!

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomvalerie_hansen) | 111 comments Mom didn't teach me to cook. I stumbled through and my family survived but we did not eat gourmet food. When my dear grandma cooked she measured mostly by cooking spoon and hand. I got her recipe for an apple pancake she called "Datch". It's simple but, as I said, imprecise. When she says Tablespoon, she means the kind you stir or serve with. As long as you use the SAME SPOON for all the measurements it should work.

Valerie Hansen's grandma's DATCH
2 T. flour
1 egg
salt
3 or 4 T. milk
speck baking powder
apples, sliced THIN

Beat together all but apples (batter will be thin)
Add apples
Fry like a pancake

Grandma made it in an iron skillet and poured it out like an omelet. She could flip it intact. I cut it into 1/4ths and flip those.

It's served dusted with sugar.

Val

message 11: by Lyn (new)

That sounds yummy, Val!

message 12: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Sounds like my grandma Valerie. Tablespoon is the serving spoon of her Swiss apple pie. I will get that recipe from my mom for this. :)

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet Barton (janetleebarton) | 76 comments This is my mom's 24 Hour Salad

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup nuts
1 1/2 cups white cherries
1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks
10 large marshmellows, cut up

Directions:

1. Beat eggs, add sugar & lemon juice and cook until slightly thick.

2. Cool, then add cream, nuts, fruit and marshmallows.

3. Keep refrigerated or in freezer--needs to "set" up and get a little firm.

This is a family favorite dessert for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Janet

message 14: by Lyn (new)

Oh, Janet, that sounds yummy!

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
I've looked high and low for my grandmother's oatcake recipe, but haven't been able to find it. I'll have to get it from my cousin. In the meantime, here is one for cookies called daffy cakes that comes from my husband's grandmother. They're a tradition for Christmas at our house because they look so pretty on a plate of sweets.

Daffy Cakes

2 eggs, unbeaten
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder

Cream butter. Drop one egg at a time, add sugar and beat well. Add flour, salt and baking powder.
Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick, cut into rounds with cookie cutter and line mini-muffin tins. Fill with jam or jelly (we use raspberry jam, but an assortment of flavors might be nice. Bake 15 minutes at 350 F. When cool, garnish with a dollop of icing (we tint ours pale pink).

message 16: by Lyn (new)

I never heard of Daffy cakes! This is going to be fun, reading these recipes.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments When my husband was growing up in the Deep South (Alabama) his mother made home-made buttermilk biscuits every single night. I got her recipe and made them nightly when we were first married in our 20s -- and were skinny! No more! My husband is lucky to get them three times a year now -- and one of them is his birthday!

It's a very simple recipe, but DO NOT substitue milk for buttermilk. Buttermilk is the ingredient that makes them delicious. And good old Crisco. Don't substitute vegetable oil, either!Also, don't use regular flour with baking powder, either!

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
from Cheryl Bolen

Mix these 3 ingredients in large bowl:
2 cups self-rising flour
1/3 cup Crisco (vegetable shortening)
3/4 cup buttermilk

These are not cut-outs. We make into balls and flatten them, patting them all around with extra flour, then placing them in a large, metal pie plate that has been either buttered or greased. Allow the biscuits to touch each other and climb up the sides, too.

Cook in a 475 degree oven until they are getting golden. (I usually check the bottom of one to make sure they're not getting overdone.)About 15 minutes.

message 18: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Cheryl, this seems so easy, I am going to try them. I dont bake much and usually the simpler it is -I might try it.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments oh my! My grandmother has a great recipe for a chocolate cake that is so moist. Unfortunately it is with my mother in Beaumont...makes me want to get all her recipes now! lol The secret is the hot water or coffee and cocoa powder

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Paula-O wrote: "Cheryl, this seems so easy, I am going to try them. I dont bake much and usually the simpler it is -I might try it."

They are easy, Paula-O. I adore baking. Would bake every day if I were skinny. But I keep telling myself, "A second on the lips, forever on the hips!"

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments These all sound so yummy! My father was actually the best cook in my house growing up, and my mother will readily admit that. Every Christmas, he'd make a great crab dip. It was a favorite with the family, his work buddies, and his bowling buddies. Here's how you make it:

Dick Brown's Crabby Dip
8 ounces fresh or canned crab meat
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
2 T minced onions
2 T chopped dill pickles
1 and 1/2 C mayonnaise
1/4 t salt or to taste
1 and 1/2 T lemon juice

Break up the crab meat. Break up the cream cheese and add mayo to it. Add crab meat to mixture. Then mix in remaining ingredients. Chill if desired.

It's great with fresh vegetables or chips or on toast or crackers.

message 22: by Lyn (new)

Jennifer wrote: "oh my! My grandmother has a great recipe for a chocolate cake that is so moist. Unfortunately it is with my mother in Beaumont...makes me want to get all her recipes now! lol The secret is the hot ..."
PLEASE GET THAT RECIPE!

message 23: by Lyn (new)

Regina wrote: "These all sound so yummy! My father was actually the best cook in my house growing up, and my mother will readily admit that. Every Christmas, he'd make a great crab dip. It was a favorite with ..."

I love crab!

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomvalerie_hansen) | 111 comments Lyn,

I'm sending you pics of the grandmas to go with the recipes.

Grandma Edith Reeder, nee Hollrung, made "Datch" when I was a little girl.

Grandma Ruth Wilkinson, nee Seybold, my husband's grandmother, was even more of a pistol than we thought. Protest march pictures of her in the early 1900s were a real surprise! Here's her recipe. She used to make these cookie bars for us and pack a box full of them whenever we were planning a vacation. We never went hungry!

Banana Cookies
1 1/4 C. sugar
2/3 C. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 C. ripe, mashed banana (about 3)
2 tsp. baking powder (heaped)
2 1/4 C. sifted flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda (heaped)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. chopped nuts

Batter will not be stiff. Pour into jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with raised sides and smooth it out so it's even. Top with 1/4 C. sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min. It will rise a little like a thin cake. Cool and cut into squares. These can also be made as drop cookies but grandma found an easier way and just baked a whole sheet of them.

Val

message 25: by Lyn (new)

Sounds interesting!

message 26: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomvalerie_hansen) | 111 comments Lyn wrote: "Sounds interesting!"

Not nearly as interesting as she was! Like most of us, I wish I had taken the time to ask more about her past. It was fascinating.
Val

message 27: by Debra (new)

Debra E. (debraemarvin) | 7 comments These banana cookies are really new to me. Honestly, other than banana bread (Which was a weekly staple for me growing up ) and Banana Cream Pie, I don't think I've ever had a banana cookie. Thanks so much!

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 73 comments My Father, Bob, was a school teacher and musician. Every now and then he would cook dinner and this was his favorite. He died at 50 in 1966 when I was 15.

CATTLE-TATTLE STEW

6 Slices of sturdy bacon
4 Frozen minute (cube) steaks
2 Medium sweet onions
6 Medium carrots
3 Potatoes of choice
1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt
Pepper to taste

Get out Grandma's iron skillet and line with the bacon. Place the steaks over the bacon unthawed. Salt and Pepper meat. Cover with medium layer of thick onion slices, then layer with thinly sliced carrot strips, then layer of round thick slices of potatoes. Salt and Pepper again. Cook with heat on High until the bacon is about half done being careful not to let it scorch. Add 1 cup water and simmer until done (45 minutes to 1 1/4). If the meat does not seem to be tender add a little water and put in oven covered until done. If you use electric skillet, it might cook differently. But don't tattle on me!

message 29: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Hummm, Mary, that sounds good -- and I love the name!! This is a meal my father would love (he's an old-fashioned rancher).

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Lyn wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "oh my! My grandmother has a great recipe for a chocolate cake that is so moist. Unfortunately it is with my mother in Beaumont...makes me want to get all her recipes now! lol The s..."

lol I will get my mom to bring it when she comes up in two weeks. :D

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I saw something cool the other day. I went a friend's 30th birthday party and her mom gave her a scrapbook of old family recipes...it was so cute! She had given her older sister one when she turned 30 and it was her turn. Really cool because some were written in her grandmother, great aunt and mom's handwriting. I want one now

message 32: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
oh, that is cool! What a keepsake! I did some research on family recipe books once and learned they were often the 'inheritance' women received from their mothers upon their death and were highly valued because they didn't just have recipes, they also recorded some family events often (in the margins), and gave remedies for illness, etc..

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 73 comments I made each one of my girls at different Christmas's a cute cookbook with special recipes from my family and their Dad's family and our own family...it is a fun project for Mothers and Grandmothers! You can add photos, stickers, all kinds of fun things with different themes. Some of these kinds of things just take a little time and love....I will be adding my favorite Christmas dessert to serve guests that looks pretty on the table...when I find it!!!!!

message 34: by Lyn (new)

I have my mil's little recipe file. I brought it home after her funeral. My mother for some reason didn't leave any recipes. Odd because she was a great cook.

message 35: by Lyn (new)

Mary wrote: "My Father, Bob, was a school teacher and musician. Every now and then he would cook dinner and this was his favorite. He died at 50 in 1966 when I was 15.

CATTLE-TATTLE STEW

6 Slices of sturdy ..."

Wow! My mouth is watering!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments JanetTronstad wrote: "oh, that is cool! What a keepsake! I did some research on family recipe books once and learned they were often the 'inheritance' women received from their mothers upon their death and were highly..."

That's cool!

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 73 comments Even if you do not think you would like this recipe, let me tell you from experience! It goes over very well for a party or if you take something to another party for the table as it looks pretty and tastes great! The right size small platter is important also. Choose either an oval or rectangle pretty plate about 5-6 inches wide and about 10 inches long. There can be variations but the main thing I found important is not to get into a big hurry and crack your cake when it is still hot. Let it cool wrapped in a dishtowel before you unroll it.

Pumpkin Cake Roll
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes...

Any other questions? Please ask!

Mary Robinson

message 38: by Lyn (new)

I love this group. What great recipes!!

message 39: by Lyn (new)

http://craftieladiesofromance.blogspo...
WE FINISHED IT! And we have a gift for you!

Drop by to request a copy of the Love Inspried Authors Old Family Recipe Booklet! Or email me at l(dot)cote(at)juno(dot)com

message 40: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments My mom made a wonderful, easy shortcake that she topped with vanilla ice cream and sliced strawberries with added sugar for juice. Just delicious and in the cookbook.

She, also, made persimmon pudding, one of my favorites. Getting the seeds out of the persimmons was difficult. An orchard market in their area carried the pulp. Anyone ever had persimmon pudding topped with whipped cream? Yummy!

message 41: by Lyn (new)

I've never had a persimmon PERIOD. This sounds wonderful!

message 42: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments The pudding is dense so can be cut into squares and has a unique flavor people either love or not. I grew up with persimmon pudding so miss it this time of year. After I lost my mom, my dad even made it. Raw persimmons are very tart.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Interesting... I have heard they are really tart.... Especially if you don't get all the seeds out

message 44: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments Yep, not a fruit you eat raw. :-)