Horrifying Thrillers discussion

Horror monthly discussions > True Crime/Horror

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 9 comments Hi,
I hope I'm posting this in the right discussion folder.
What would be some suggestions for some truely well-written and (if possible) suspenseful "true crime" books over the years ?
I've read "Helter Skelter" many years ago and I have one or two of the Jack the Ripper "exposes" in my TBR list, but that's about it.
Any suggestions ?

message 2: by Carla (new)

Carla Krueger (carlahkrueger) Favourite topic of mine, Bob.
Try The Shrine Of Jeffrey Dahmer, Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho" or Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer.
Written by experts in their fields, so all professional and interesting. The Story of Ed Gein starts like a story, very powerful book with entertaining descriptions. The book about Ted Bundy is more in the style of an interview but, I found it suspenseful in content and build up.
Hope this helps, 'happy' reading!
Amaya

message 3: by aprilla (new)

aprilla Fav topic of mine also though never too much of a fan of Jack the Ripper books....
Anyway I found I enjoyed any books by Ann Rule, Jack Olsen and Jerry Bledsoe.
Topical now again the Jeffrey McDonald case, Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss which was the 2nd True Crime book I ever read, after Small Sacrifices... then I was hooked!

enjoy ;)

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 27 comments Anne Rule, Diane Fanning, Carlton Smith, Katheryn Casey, W Michael Phelps, Gregg Olsen, Carlton Stowers are some more I have liked

message 5: by Angelo (new)

Angelo Marcos (angelomarcos) | 8 comments It's not really suspenseful, but I love Mindhunter by John Douglas. He used to be an FBI profiler and recaps some of the cases he worked.

It is quite psychology-heavy as you'd expect, but might be worth taking a look at? I thought it was brilliant.

message 6: by Angelo (new)

Angelo Marcos (angelomarcos) | 8 comments Oh, and Paul Britton's book The Jigsaw Man is very good too. Again, he is a criminal profiler so it's quite psychology-heavy, but an excellent read.

message 7: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) The Girl Next Door is slightly suspenseful, but since it is true crime, you know the ending. A frightening look at the cult of a sociopath.