Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #27: Defend Thy Book!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Defend a favorite book you read in 2008 that for whatever reason has been unpopular with the goodreads/group community.

This topic was brought to you by Tracy Wong. Thank you Tracy :)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lauren0) Twilight. Some people love it, some people hate it. I personally think as it's not one of the most well written books ever, it's definitely entertaining and a really good read. And i hate it when people wont read it just because its so popular. get over your elitism and read the f-ing book. you'll like it. :p

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 235 comments THE ROAD - I have a hard time seeing the need to defend it because so many people liked it but some of the reviews were so damning, I just want to reiterate that of all the Pulitzer Prize books I've read, this one deserved it more than any of the others.

I think his style bothers and/or puzzles many people. He writes for himself, I think, and the rest of us can go along or not. I'm not sure he cares that much.

As the black humor statement goes, "Life is tough, then you die".

message 4: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) The Celestine Prophecy

This book is really different, but it is in the Top 20 worst books on Goodreads! You need to be really open about religion/spirituality, but it is an interesting book!

I also agree with:
Twilight
I loved the whole series.

message 5: by Muphyn (last edited Feb 08, 2009 05:44PM) (new)

Muphyn Lauren wrote: "Twilight. Some people love it, some people hate it. I personally think as it's not one of the most well written books ever, it's definitely entertaining and a really good read. And i hate it when p..."

I'm with you on Twilight, Lauren! I read it very late in 2008 (around Christmas), so it only just "qualifies" for 2008 book. ;) Have read the entire series since, and while the writing is really less than inspiring, I thought the first one was nevertheless written in such a way that I really wanted to find out what happened next. compelling.

I don't get why people can get so worked up about books, hating e.g. Twilight so much. I can't see that it's worth me wasting my energy or time for that. :)

message 6: by Emeshea (new)

Emeshea (emeshenaenae) I completely agree with Twilight... the best and the worst book series ever. Once you start reading you can't stop because it is so gripping... but you keep asking yourself, "Why am I reading something that is so poorly written and appeals to teenage fantasies?" And then you just keep reading and have to go buy the next one!

message 7: by Ann A (last edited May 06, 2010 05:14PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 738 comments Emeshea wrote: "I completely agree with Twilight... the best and the worst book series ever. Once you start reading you can't stop because it is so gripping... but you keep asking yourself, "Why am I reading somet..."

Well said, Emeshea. I thought Twilight was o.k, didn't really like New Moon (at least the first half), but feel like I HAVE to read the next two!