The Sword and Laser discussion

The Quantum Thief (Jean le Flambeur #1)
This topic is about The Quantum Thief
What Else Are You Reading? > Quantum Thief - anyone read it?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments This Amazon review caught my eye - I haven't read this book yet but it sounds tailor-made for S&L:

"If The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes had a baby with The Lies of Locke Lamora and then gave it up for adoption to Neuromancer you would have a pretty good simulacrum for The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi."

message 2: by Derek (new)

Derek | 28 comments It's on my Amazon wish list

message 3: by Dharmakirti (new) - added it

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I started it, but then when I saw there was going to be a sequel, I put it aside to read once the sequel came out (so I could read them back-to-back).

I did have a bit of difficulty digesting some of the concepts in the book but I did find this wikipedia page helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary...

Janet | 51 comments I thought it was a very good first novel. It had a few issues, mostly related to a lack of a glossary for made up words, of which there were a LOT, and could have used a bit more world building. But I thought it felt fresh and was entertaining and will definitely read the next book.

John | 8 comments i was very pleased on getting to the end and realizing there would be at least one more book. it did take a little while to get through the new vocabulary, then having to go back and re-read a few chapters to actually understand them once you figured out what the new words meant, but it was pretty original and i enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would.

Neil (rucknrun) Reading it right now. I am liking it a lot. You do have to avoid getting wrapped up in all the names. They are hard to keep track of and the author does not explain some of them well.

Stuart (asfus) | 67 comments I have read it. It is a heavily stylised novel. As a result, you may find yourself either loving it or hating it; I am in the former camp.

message 8: by Rick (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 2790 comments Read it. Loved it. He does drop you into his world and not give you infodumps but I like that. The future SHOULD be weird and strange and it's a bit annoying to have everything explained as if it were just like today.

It's a post-singularity solar system to give you some context so if singularity fiction pisses you off, pass. But I found it deeply original and the best example of that subgenre since Stross' Accelerando. The sequel, The Fractal Prince, is out soon.

Leavey | 83 comments Why thank you for introducing me to my next Laser audio! :)

message 10: by Israel (new) - added it

Israel | 80 comments This one's been on my to-read shelf for a long time too. I would love seeing it as a pick.

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I listened to the audiobook and it confused the heck out of me. I don't remember much of anything about it except the prison. I got it on my Nook for $1.99 a couple of months ago and I'm going to give it a shot in text.

message 12: by Israel (new) - added it

Israel | 80 comments Sandi wrote: "I listened to the audiobook and it confused the heck out of me. I don't remember much of anything about it except the prison. I got it on my Nook for $1.99 a couple of months ago and I'm going to..."

Once you get a chance to read the text, check back in & let us know if it makes a difference.

message 13: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick | 2790 comments The sequel is out, in ebook, on the 27th. Oddly, the print book isn't out until November according to B&N and amazon