A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail A Walk in the Woods discussion

Geography Error? Help...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aurora In reading this book, my English class noticed an odd description of the geography of the states. On page 31 in my edition, or about a quarter of the way through chapter three, Bryson says, "Half don't make it past central Virginia, less than a third of the way. A quarter get no farther than North Carolina, the next state." He's talking about hiking from Georgia to Maine, so a hiker would reach North Carolina before Virginia. But it makes it seem as though North Carolina comes after one hikes through Virginia. I checked his map and it doesn't show any doubling back or other explanation for this passage. Can someone please provide an explanation for me? It would be much appreciated!

Walter You need to read the whole passage in order to not get confused, here it is:

"Every year between late March and late April, about 2,000 hikers set off from Springer, most of them intending to go all the way to Katahdin. Half don't make it past central Virginia, less than a third of the way. A quarter get no farther than North Carolina, the next state.

He's talking about Springer Mtn, Georgia, and how about 1/4 of the hikers don't make it to NC, "the next state" Get it?

Aurora So that means that it's referring to North Carolina as "the next state" after Georgia, not the next state after Virginia. Thank you for clarifying.

Walter Anytime.