Dragons, dragons and-you guessed it, dragons! discussion

Dinétah Dragon (Phantom Squadron, #2)
This topic is about Dinétah Dragon
Dragonology > The mechanics of firecasting ...

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new) - rated it 5 stars

Don Martinez (DesertCoyote13) | 11 comments I'm interested to hear what some of you have thought on this subject. How exactly does a dragon breathe fire?

The only other author who has offered a solution to this question is Anne McCaffrey, whose dragons in the Dragonriders of Pern series consume "fire stones" which allow them to breathe fire ... at least the males do; the females lack the body chemistry to digest the fire stones.

I had to think about this when I wrote my books because my dragon breathes fire, but since it's a modern setting there had to be a plausible scientific explanation (mostly because she's a genetically engineered experiment). What I came up with is firecasting (my term), in which 37A (and later Ariel and Alanna) spew fire from a secondary stomach, which makes it closer related to vomit than breath.

Any thoughts on this?

message 2: by L (new)

L Thank you Don for posting up a most facinating and interesting thread. Many books on Dragons don't always explain how they breathe fire...but i am determined to do my research!

message 3: by Chewy (new)

Chewy probably just some elements that burst in to flame when the come in contact with the air

message 4: by Cole (last edited Sep 21, 2012 01:04AM) (new)

Cole (spectyr333) | 738 comments Mod
I have encountered one in the Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight. He put as a secondary stomach (a common solution) in which animal fat is transformed into a chemical that ignites when it meets air. Another series that does a good job with explaining the anatomy of a dragon is the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Often times authors don't even bother explaining because of the "don't all dragons breath fire" mentality. We just assume it is possible. Other series try to stay away from the stereotype entirely by having them breath out something else like venom, or another common one is that they breath different elements. I can't really think of any more that don't just use the excuse "it's just magic." Really cool question to ponder though.

message 5: by L (new)

L Cole wrote: "I have encountered one in the Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight. He put as a secondary stomach (a common solution) in which animal fat is transformed into a chemical that ignites when it meets air...."

Really facinating! It is very interesting to research although finding any details in some fictional works is proving to be quite a challenge.

message 6: by Cole (new)

I bet, it is hard to find a straight answer in fiction! Hahaha!

message 7: by L (new)

L Alexis wrote: "In my books, dragons have a fire-heart that pumps fire through their body. They can unseal some kind of hatch that allows the fire to flood up their throat and explode from their jaws/nostrils when..."

That is facinating!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Theory? (ok so i don't have a name for the chemical because i'm just playing around here and lets just pretend because of evolution this happened) this is how i think of it. Some dragons have special chemicals in their body which are extremely flammable. The chemicals are there in the first place to keep dragons warm because they are cooled blooded. When a dragon is stress, angered, or has adrenaline it heats up their blood and naturally creates more of that chemical so that when the dragon cools down it doesn't go into shock from the sudden change. Most of the time though there is to much of this chemical and so the dragons body releases it by expelling it out the mouth. The already flammable chemical is now hot and when the dragon opens its mouth it is met by oxygen and explodes...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Theory for water dragons.

Dragons with lungs and gills and just gills. Water dragons "breath" water by swallowing it into their lung or stomach (depending on the type some have lung, sum have gills and this type has both) there is a then a strong muscle surrounding the stomach and when the dragon flexes it the water shoots from its mouth and the dragon breathes water :)

Water dragons with just lungs. these types can only hold there breathe for a long time and can't breathe under water. So they don't use there lungs to breath fire. These dragons also are hot blooded (no not warm, HOT... really hot) there warm blood keeps them from freezing in cold water but also limits them to cold area's on earth. These dragons swallow water and push it out from their stomachs in a powerful blow (takes practice and strength) they can also breathe hot water and steam because of their hot blood. It is most effective in battle because the blood is pumping hard and fast making the water hotter, faster.

message 10: by Dead (new)

Dead (marcwashere) | 53 comments Mabye the grass dragons food eats makes the deer and sheep turn into fire. or mabye the dragons belly is one big incinerator.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

ya i was just coming up with random stuff.. and also i'v seen a dragon heart and a documentary on dragon's... oh wait crap hahaha! i remember a few years back a read a series about dragons, i think it was called the enchanted forest or something.... talking with dragons? idk... but it didn't really explain dragons their were kinda just there? you know.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

oh! maybe we could have like an earth dragon's stomach fluid turn the bones into dust in there stomachs and then when their special stomach acid fluids mix with the bone powder it turns into flame!!! haha it would be funny if certain types of earth could only breathe fire if they burp! :P haha

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

or maybe grass dragons could just blow really strong wind! just throwing idea's around here... XD

message 14: by Cole (new)

Victoria wrote: "Theory for water dragons.

Dragons with lungs and gills and just gills. Water dragons "breath" water by swallowing it into their lung or stomach (depending on the type some have lung, sum have gi..."

Good theories!

message 15: by Cole (new)

Alexis wrote: "In my books, dragons have a fire-heart that pumps fire through their body. They can unseal some kind of hatch that allows the fire to flood up their throat and explode from their jaws/nostrils when..."

I like the way you described it in the book!

message 16: by Cole (new)

Victoria wrote: "ya i was just coming up with random stuff.. and also i'v seen a dragon heart and a documentary on dragon's... oh wait crap hahaha! i remember a few years back a read a series about dragons, i think..."

I have always wanted to read that series!
Well it sure sound like you have been around dragon more than you are letting on? Hahaha!

message 17: by Cole (new)

Alexis wrote: "Victoria wrote: "ya i was just coming up with random stuff.. and also i'v seen a dragon heart and a documentary on dragon's... oh wait crap hahaha! i remember a few years back a read a series about..."

It doesn't matter what thread if the conversation turns away from the original subject, as long as everyne is having fun.
Ya, that was kind of my worry about reading the Enchanted Forest.

message 18: by Dead (new)

Dead (marcwashere) | 53 comments i think that the dragons belly is like a furnace. mostly because ive never heard of them pooping

message 19: by Cole (new)

Marc wrote: "i think that the dragons belly is like a furnace. mostly because ive never heard of them pooping"

Ya, most books don't even mention that. But believe me they are. There are one or two that mention them taking care of their faucilities.

message 20: by Cole (new)

Alexis wrote: "Cole wrote: "Alexis wrote: "In my books, dragons have a fire-heart that pumps fire through their body. They can unseal some kind of hatch that allows the fire to flood up their throat and explode f..."

Yep, it's true.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Cole wrote: "Marc wrote: "i think that the dragons belly is like a furnace. mostly because ive never heard of them pooping"

Ya, most books don't even mention that. But believe me they are. There are one or two..."

hahahahaha, that's funny! maybe there bodies just use up everything they eat and since they do eat organic there really isn't crap in the food that they have to get rid of

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha :) noo come back *runs after Alexis*

message 23: by Cole (new)

Alexis wrote: "*But then comes back and apologizes for avoiding a dragon fan*"

Hahahaha! *changes the subject*

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

so, how about milk! gotta love it! (says this because we have known at house)

message 25: by Cole (new)

Eww! Sorry I hate Dairy.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

:O what.. ok then... firecasting... anyone got anything new? ideas.... something...

message 27: by Cole (new)

Victoria wrote: ":O what.. ok then... firecasting... anyone got anything new? ideas.... something..."

Sorry, guess that was okward...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

hahah XD your fine.. so i think since we should discus each species on how they breathe fire, or ice, or poison, ect. maybe we could each be giving a species and study up? maybe make some sciency theory's? Like learn how some animals work when it comes to similar things, like komodo dragoons and their poisonous bites, snakes that squirt venom, ect. also did you know there is a bug that can make small explosions? so maybe we could see how that works, take existing info on dragons and maybe see what we come up with?

message 29: by Cole (new)

That sound like fun, who is in!!!?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

no one asked you cole :p jk ^.^ haha obviously i am..

message 31: by Cole (new)

Victoria wrote: "no one asked you cole :p jk ^.^ haha obviously i am.."

Hahaha!
Me too!!