Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Engl. I(6th) > Killing

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
Why is Okonkwo asked not to take part in the killing of Ikemefuna? Why do you suppose they have decided to kill the boy? Why does Okonkwo act as he does?

message 2: by Molly (last edited Sep 21, 2012 02:02PM) (new)

Molly Malone | 27 comments It states on page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." "Yes, Umuofia has decided to kill him. The Oracle of the Hills and Caves has pronounced it. They will take him outside of Umofia as is custom, and kill him there. But they want you to have nothing to do with it. He calls you his father." The reason they didn't want him to take part in Ikemefuna's killing was because as they puts it he called him father and they didn't want Okonkwo to have to see him die. They didn't want him to have to kill the boy as he thought of him as his son and Ikemefuna called him father. I think that they decided to kill Ikemefuna because it is what the Oricle called for. The people of Umuofia always listened and did what the Oricle told them to. Okonkwo acts as he does because "he was afraid of being thought week." Okonkwo went with the men to kill Ikemefuna and he himself killed him when he started running twads him saying "My father they have killed me." Okonkwo drew his machete and killed him. I think Okonkwo does this because he doesn't want the people of the village to think of him as if he was week and quit bluntly a chicken.

Benhanna | 27 comments Molly wrote: "It states on page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." "Yes, Umuofia has decided to kill him. The Oracle of the Hills and Caves has pronounced it. They will take him out..."
molly you stole the words right out of my mouth. the reason Okonkwo did what he did is "he was afraid of looking weak". the reason that they killed Ikemefuma is the the the Oracle of the hills seid that her god wanted him dead.

message 4: by Sarai (new) - added it

Sarai Cisneros | 27 comments Molly says: "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." "Yes, Umuofia has decided to kill him. The Oracle of the Hills and Caves has pronounced it. They will take him outside of Umofia as is custom, and kill him there. But they want you to have nothing to do with it...." That's exactly what i was aiming for Okonkwo was part of the killing of Ikemefuna because he says he is not afraid of any blood. He was supossibly not going to be part of Ikemefunas death. The next day they went for him and supossibly he was going home but they were going to kill him.

message 5: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 21, 2012 11:37AM) (new) - added it

Kathryn (kathycat) | 22 comments Benhanna wrote: "Molly wrote: "It states on page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." "Yes, Umuofia has decided to kill him. The Oracle of the Hills and Caves has pronounced it. They wil..."

Molly wrote: "It states on page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." "Yes, Umuofia has decided to kill him. The Oracle of the Hills and Caves has pronounced it. They will take him out..."

As both Molly and Ben have stated, Okonkwo was forbidden to bear a hand in Ikemefuna's death because, as it states on page 57, "That boy calls you father.Do not bear a hand in his death." ,this was said by one of the village elders, Ezeudu. Ezeudu went on to explain that even though Umuofia had decided to kill the boy because of The Oracle's proclamation, that did not necessarily mean that Okonkwo had to kill Ikemefuna, a boy who considered himself his son. Okonkwo went with the men who would kill the boy. Ikemefuna thought he was going to his home village. The men attempted to kill him. Ikemefuna ran towards Okonkwo. Okonkwo killed him. "He [Okonkwo] was afraid of being thought weak", page 61. I think that very fear made him weak enough to kill Ikemefuna.

message 6: by Kai (new)

Kai | 33 comments Okonkwo's friend Obierika tells Okonkwo:"That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." Obierka tells him this because it wouldn't be morally right for Okonkwo to kill his adopted son. It would be cruel for someone to let someone live in their house for many years, and then slaughter them. I think they decided to kill Ikemefuna to show that when a crime is committed in Umoufia, it will not forgiven lightly, because it appears that way when the village elders let Ikemefuna stay with Okonkwo. They wanted to show that when yo commit a wrong, there will be no easy pardon. The book states that Okonkwo kills Ikemefuna because "he [Okonkwo] was afraid of being thought weak."

Xavier Benni | 26 comments I agree with kai, Okonkwo is told not to bear a hand in the death of Ikemefuna because the boy calls Okonkwo his father. But when they go to kill Ikemefuna the boy realized they are about to kill him and he runs to Okonkwo and calls him father. Okonkwo then cuts Ikemefuna down with his machete because he is afraid to be thought of as weak. I think they decided to kill the boy because he was a gift of peace from the neighboring village and was originally supposed to be used as a sacrifice. I also think they did it because they feared Okonkwo was growing too fond of the boy and feared he would grow weak.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Molly and Kai, Okonkwo is asked not to take part in the killing of Ikemefuna because Ikemefuna calls him father and he has lived with him for years now, so as kai said it would be morally wrong to kill someone who considers you a father and is almost family. It clearly states it on page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." Okonkwo tells Ikemefuna that he was to be taken home the next day and tags along on the walk to the forest. When they decide to kill him, Ikemefuna runs to Okonkwo and says "My father they have killed me" and instead of obeying, Okonkwo took his machete and cut him down. He does this because he doesn't want to be thought of as weak, if he just stood there he would show he couldn't do it because had feelings toward the boy and emotions show weakness. I also think that the oracle decided to kill Ikemefuna as a type of punishment or lesson for Okonkwo, maybe later on he will change his ways.

message 9: by Zane (last edited Oct 07, 2012 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zane Flannery | 27 comments Molly wrote: "It states on page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." "Yes, Umuofia has decided to kill him. The Oracle of the Hills and Caves has pronounced it. They will take him out..."

I would like to add that Okonkwo was probably overwhelmed when he killed Ikemafuma. I know that when I am overwhelmed I do things that I wouldn't normally do. Okonkwo probably just let go and did what he did subconciously. He regreted it later and hated himself for it because he had only wanted to come along so that the village wouldn't think that he was scared or weak. By going along with the party that was going to kill Ikemafuma, he thought that that would ensure he was thought of as brave. Others had told him that they would not have gone or that he shouldn't go, but he ignored them. Once Ikemafuma yelled, "Father they have killed me!" Okonkwo was scared. Ikemafuma was in fact still alive but bleeding and in pain. In that situation, Okonkwo reacted by cutting off Ikemafuma's head. Later Okonkwo was traumatized and thought he should never have gone.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 16 comments Vanessa wrote: "I agree with Molly and Kai, Okonkwo is asked not to take part in the killing of Ikemefuna because Ikemefuna calls him father and he has lived with him for years now, so as kai said it would be mora..."
I agree with Vanessa because Okonkwo treated Ikemafuma like a son and Ikemafuma thought of him as a father.On page 57 it says "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death."

message 11: by Isaiah (last edited Sep 22, 2012 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isaiah Armijo | 28 comments Xavier wrote: "I agree with kai, Okonkwo is told not to bear a hand in the death of Ikemefuna because the boy calls Okonkwo his father. But when they go to kill Ikemefuna the boy realized they are about to kill h..."

Vanessa wrote: "I agree with Molly and Kai, Okonkwo is asked not to take part in the killing of Ikemefuna because Ikemefuna calls him father and he has lived with him for years now, so as kai said it would be mora..."

Yes it does state that Okonkwo should not take part in the killing of Ikemefuna . On page 57 it says "that boy calls you father. Do not bear hand in his death". Ezeudu says this because like Kai said it would be morally wrong to kill some one who has been part of your family for so long. It also says on page 57 that "The Oracle of the Hills and the Caves has pronounced it". I think that the Oracle decided to kill Ikemefuna to revenge the young women the neighboring tribe had killed. Even though they got a new wife for the widowed husband. When the first man stabbed Ikemefuna ran to Okonkwo screaming "my Father, they have killed me!" while running towards Okonkwo. Okonkwo is the type who doesn't like to show weakness so he struck down Ikemefuna finishing him. I think he did this to show no weakness, and to put him out of his misery and pain.

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 24 comments Zane wrote: "Molly wrote: "It states on page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death." "Yes, Umuofia has decided to kill him. The Oracle of the Hills and Caves has pronounced it. They wil..."

I agree with Zane and Molly. Okonkwo was asked not to participate in killing Ikemefuna because he was like a father to Ikemefuna-"That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death,"(page 57). I think that Ikemefuna was killed as a punishmen for the woman being killed 3 years earlier. I think that Okonkwo did what he did as a way of controling his affection because he thought that affection was a weak emotion.

message 13: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Sena | 26 comments Okonwo can't help kill Ikemefuna because the boy has a bond with Okonkwo and Okonkwo is probably thought to have a bond with him like as if he was Okonkwo's son. They decided to kill the boy because the Oracle Agbala said to kill him. Okonkwo feels that this shows he is weak or growing soft so he decides to kill the boy himself.

message 14: by Samara (new) - added it

Samara | 15 comments Tristan wrote: "Okonwo can't help kill Ikemefuna because the boy has a bond with Okonkwo and Okonkwo is probably thought to have a bond with him like as if he was Okonkwo's son. They decided to kill the boy becaus..."
I agree with Tristan were he says that they probably thought that Okonkwo had a really strong bond with Ikemefuna because, Ikemefuna would call Okonkwo "father" just like molly stated. That is why the elders asked Okonkwo to not participate in Ikemefunas death. But, Okonkwo did not want to seem weak so he killed Ikemefuna without pity even though right before he killed him Ikemefuna said "My father they have killed me!". They decided to kill Ikemefuna because the Oracle demanded it. So they did as they were told.

Marianne Lara | 26 comments Samara wrote: "Tristan wrote: "Okonwo can't help kill Ikemefuna because the boy has a bond with Okonkwo and Okonkwo is probably thought to have a bond with him like as if he was Okonkwo's son. They decided to kil..."

I agree with Samara and Tristen, Okonkwo is asked not to partake in killing Ikemefuna because he has grown attatched to him and sees him as his son and Ikemefuna sees Okonkwo as a father as stated in page 57 "That boy calls you father. Do not bear hand in his death". It would be wrong for Okonkwo to kill Ikemefuna as he has a bond with him. But Okonkwo is a prideful man, So when Ikemefuna cried out, "My father they have killed me!" page 61 he killed him, because he didn't want to be seen as weak. Maybe the Oracle decided to kill him because he would be harmful to the village later on.

message 16: by Mona (new)

Mona Chavarria | 29 comments Okonkwo didn't want to take any part in killing ikemefuna because he had become like a son to Okonkwo .i think Okonkwo acts the way he does is because he is so insecure an does whatever he can to not be like his father. Sometimes he takes it a little bit to far and gets himself into trouble.